You CAN build boost with a 2step and stick

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
So I was going through some old videos on my computer of my Cobra and found a clip when I had the 6 speed in it (back in 2008). I see alot of guys on here post when they put a 2 step on their Turbo car they can only build 2-5 psi.

You can build boost with a stick turbo car and a 2 step. Just adding the 2 step will not cut it most of the time. The tune needs to be adjusted for it to build boost properly. My car after adjustments I was able to build between 10-15psi on the 2 step. See video below.

What you need to do is. Datalog your car on the 2 step. I had the 2 step set @ 5200 RPMs. This isnt for the people that want to launch soft out of the hole, you have to have some balls :beer: You need to watch load while on the 2 step and adjust from there.

So basically in the SCT software I adjusted timing based on load and RPM. The adjustments were made from 5000 RPMS and above. This will not affect WOT or part throttle, unless you are driving half throttle above 5k which is crazy. I ended up with -5 degrees of timing above 5000 rpms to get it to build up to 15psi. I do not remember where load was on the 2 step. I believe between 1.1-1.5 while on the 2 step. This is where your datalogging will come in. Put the car on the 2 step, watch load. If load is at 1.1 for example. Adjust timing @ that load point. Try again, load will go up with boost, keep making adjustments until you get boost to where you need to.

Here is a quick vid showing the boost gauge on the 2 step making around 11psi. This was on an 8.2:1 CR motor with a 76mm using an MSD Launchmaster 2 step.

Turbo 2003 Cobra 2 step with 6 speed - YouTube

f2hatch

Established Member
Thanks for the info. A 2 step is on my short list

itSSlow98

Established Member
Great info, i need to have my tune touched up for this because I added the MSD 2 Step but havent touched timing and it wont build that much.

itSSlow98

Established Member
^^^ I'm about to pull my almost new msd off. The harness has never been on the car and the box has been on a couple months. 160 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread