Your hunting methods

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I'm not trying to turn this into a hunting forum, but there seems to be a lot of hunters in here. I'm not asking you to reveal your honey-holes, just share some tips, tricks, techniques that work for you. Like using a tree stand, ground blind, still hunting, using scents, using attractants, boot bads, scent stations, etc.... For everything (deer, hogs, elk, turkeys, ducks, etc......).

What say you?...

svt_fan1129

Established Member
for bull and cow tags.

i normally shake branches together and then stomp lightly in mud puddles. it actually gets their attention.

besides that, i dont really have any methods. i just quietly walk in the forest trying to find a perfect spot, then i wait there with a camo leaf cover on top of me.

BayouFX4

GEAUX TIGERS
Established Member
I usually hunt out of a box stand over a food plot in MS. Sometimes I scout out game trails and set up on the ground nearby. That's how I killed my first deer. Some guys use doe urine to attract bucks, but it has never really done anything special for me.

This will be my first year duck hunting and all you do is sit in a blind and call the ducks in. You can also just sit and wait for them to fly over.

Common

Established Member
I usually spot the prey, smile, offer to buy a drink and then start up a conversation and see where it goes.

lol.

GTFlow

Freak of Nature
Established Member
Usually set a bottle of patron in the back corner of my room. That usually gets the females frolicking in. After that its pretty much a done deal.:beer:

:lol:..........thats some funny stuff. It just sucks later when they are tanked and they do this :xpl:

But for real....when I go hunting I usually try to find a creek bed with some type of stream or some sturdy branches to rub together. Oh yeah also if there is some crab apple trees near by they like to eat around there.

I'm so DAMN READY for hunting season!!! 1 more week.

Last edited:

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i bow hunt and gun hunt for whitetail in wisconsin. 95% of the time from tree stands, and ladder stands. and 5% of the times from a ambush spot or blind.

how you hunt is all about the land your hunting on. wisconsin woods and whitetails you cant exactly stalk. i am fortunate enough to hunt with my dad and my uncle on his 300 acers. 78 acers of field crops.

pretty much morinings we hunt the woods and at night near the fields.

every year for the last 3 years i've shot 140 class deer!

would like to get more into turkey and duck hunting.

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
well im actually going to be deer hunting this year. i set up about 3 gallons of corn a night past week and seen 5 or 6 different bucks 2 8 pointers a big 7 and small noob bucks. i plan on hunting from a ground blind 15 or so yards away. tips? scent blocker they have spray and soap and shampoo im just gonna use spray for my clothes and pine scent. for deer if your using a bow draw back quickly while a deers head is down any noise will spook them. a ground blind the only think you should have to do is aim and click the safety off. for goose or duck hunting dont move alot dont let the sun shine off your face or have glared sunglasses. dont over call and wait. :D but i assume your just talking deer. buy a camera plot it in your location and track their activity.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Wow! I figured there would be more info with all the hunters we have here....

Well bud I would have to say all of the above iit's kinda hard because of differnt ares you hunt and how to take one home that day. Do you know about fort stewart it's a great place we are trying to get around to go there and get a hog. It's all year around how great is that?:beer::beer::beer:

cuban

Established Member
i bought a ghillie suit for bow hunting, i usually have my tree stand at about 20 ft in the air anything less is asking to be noticed. i like to find some scrapes and rubs and set up on an area where the buck would be most likely to approach them while keeping down wind as much as possible. no if you are going to shoot a doe set up some corn and apple feed piles for a couple of weeks away from your buck locations. also stick to funnels in hevy cover such as swamps leading to clover/acorn patches or fields with food as they will likely use it often. also i collect some vegitation from where my stands are and keep my suit in a bag with them to keep up with the local scent and always use some sort of scent block before you get in your gear. i dont spray my clothing gear because it is kept with grass sticks dirt and what not.

riffle hunting is the exact opposite i have a 308 and a 3x9 so i sit on top of big ass hay bales and watch fields all day long eventually deer are pushed right to me (mornings and evenings only.) during the day standard drives with a 30 30.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
I used to do a lot of bow hunting. Haven't done much in the past few years since I've moved to northern illlinois...the area I'm in doesn't have too many deer...especially ones that I would be after.

I do prob. 85% of my hunting from a climber, 10% from fixed stands, 5% stalking and/or spot & stalk. Climbers are great for their portability but can be troublesome on new ground only if you haven't scouted it for good trees/locations to hunt from. But you must also be willing to pack it in and out (as well as your other gear) with every trip to the woods. Also have to love the comfort factor...which is why i use them more than lock ons. I usually reserve stalking for the really REALLy windy days when swaying in a tree 30ft. up is no fun, when it's been raining and the leaves are soft and/or no deer are moving through my area, or when there's a fresh snowfall...can't beat it...just have to move slooooow.

Scent...your best friend is the wind. I don't by scent blocker or the likes but do use scent free products religiously. Shower before each hunt, keep clothes in rubbermaid containters until I get to my spot (I'm paranoid about this), spray down before I enter the woods, and then a bit more when I reach the stand and am all settled in.

Ugh...there's too much to write in one post. Might want to try a hunting forum...I suggest huntingnet.com It's a really great site...I'm a member there as well...tons of good info!

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I used to do a lot of bow hunting. Haven't done much in the past few years since I've moved to northern illlinois...the area I'm in doesn't have too many deer...especially ones that I would be after.

I do prob. 85% of my hunting from a climber, 10% from fixed stands, 5% stalking and/or spot & stalk. Climbers are great for their portability but can be troublesome on new ground only if you haven't scouted it for good trees/locations to hunt from. But you must also be willing to pack it in and out (as well as your other gear) with every trip to the woods. Also have to love the comfort factor...which is why i use them more than lock ons. I usually reserve stalking for the really REALLy windy days when swaying in a tree 30ft. up is no fun, when it's been raining and the leaves are soft and/or no deer are moving through my area, or when there's a fresh snowfall...can't beat it...just have to move slooooow.

Scent...your best friend is the wind. I don't by scent blocker or the likes but do use scent free products religiously. Shower before each hunt, keep clothes in rubbermaid containters until I get to my spot (I'm paranoid about this), spray down before I enter the woods, and then a bit more when I reach the stand and am all settled in.

Ugh...there's too much to write in one post. Might want to try a hunting forum...I suggest huntingnet.com It's a really great site...I'm a member there as well...tons of good info!

+1 You gain most of your knowledge with early scouting.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
find the steepest canyon you can, go to the bottom of it and you'll find your big bucks (blacktail in western oregon) at the bottom of it.. you have to actually get out and hike to find them, can't just sit in a stand or in your car

bugmenot

Established Member
find the steepest canyon you can, go to the bottom of it and you'll find your big bucks (blacktail in western oregon) at the bottom of it.. you have to actually get out and hike to find them, can't just sit in a stand or in your car

+1

Family goes hunting in NV, and that is exactly what they do. Lots of work, but normally pays off. One or two people dog the canyon, and the other people in the area get a good view of it. Everyone has a chance at getting a deer, so it works out.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Well bud I would have to say all of the above iit's kinda hard because of differnt ares you hunt and how to take one home that day. Do you know about fort stewart it's a great place we are trying to get around to go there and get a hog. It's all year around how great is that?:beer::beer::beer:

Nope. But I'll definitely look into it.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member

Thanks for the info. I recently registered on huntingnet.com and it seems like a really great site.

Terrminatted

Turtle Man
Established Member
first time going deer hunting this year. I can't fricken wait. Nov 8th early in the morning before the georgia @ kentucky game. :beer:

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I'm going tomorrow afternoon. But it will be on base and we're only allowed to use shotguns. But the advantage is that the deer population here is very high and they also bait the deer at each tree stand they have set-up. Not very sporty but at least I'll get some meat out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread