Your opinions, please.

bam

Established Member
I just got my degree in December, and I'm trying to make a decision about the military. For all intents and purposes, I majored in Photojournalism, and it's something that I love to do.

I have three choices:
1) military or not
2) what branch (I have no inherent loyalty to any one branch)
3) enlist and try to do photography vs. go officer and make significantly more money

I've always valued doing something I enjoy over making a lot of money (hence my ABJ), but when the officer pay is approaching double that of enlisted, it starts to weigh on my decision pretty heavily. And nothing's to say I won't enjoy what I do as an officer.

So, give me your opinions.

stangliter04

Established Member
BAM i'd go officer if you already have the degree. I spent 5 years enlisted and loved it but being an officer will open a lot of doors later on as well.

Lobo_Loco

La Mera Vena
Established Member
I have three choices:
1) military or not....
2) what branch (I have no inherent loyalty to any one branch)....
3) enlist and try to do photography vs. go officer and make significantly more money.....

1) you should try looking for a job as a civi ..1st ....if you cant find one you want then try the military(back up plan)
2) i think for the degree you hav Air force would be the best...
3) yea, money helps but it not all that...if you get paid more=you have more reponsibility.....it all depends how much u are willing to take or put into it....you could also go in enlisted(try it out) then after 2 years i think apply or go to OCS and go officer

99navert

Established Member
OCS

As far as what branch, that is up to you.

Best advice I can give is to go talk to all of the branches officer recruiters & see what they can offer.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
It really depends on what you are looking for in a career. Keep in mind that either as an officer or enlisted you are going to be doing jobs you don't want to do. Why is the military an option you are considering?

bam

Established Member
sadie, I've always thought about it. It's not just a cop-out now that I've graduated.

I've now heard from multiple sources that Air Force would likely fit me best. Thanks for your time, fellas.

Looking for any more input I can get. What would you do in my situation?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Bam, I would say go O as a Public Affairs Officer. Like I was telling you I'm an E-4 my job is supposed to be computer, crypto, phones, and networking maintenance. Guess what, I haven't done my job in over a year. All because I got put into a position that maintenance is not performed, it is driving me nuts. I say this because no matter what your career field is in the mil you WILL be pulled to do a job outside of what you want to do.

Also going E first then trying to go O does not always work out. You may become an O but it could be in a slot you don't want Personnel or Maintenance as an example. Big thing with the O side is that they try and keep them moving around every couple years so they get as much experience as they can (well rounded officer).

My response is really disjointed but bottom line if I was in your position I would pursue being an officer. Pay is awesome and opportunity to do things are even greater.

Don't let anyone tell you that the best officers were prior enlisted, not true in the least.

usmcrebel

Established Member
Go enlisted 2 years then go OCS you get the respect of those under you and you understand both sides of branch...i can tell you a butter bar LT from college won't understand were us enlisted guys come from, but a Mustang will.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Go enlisted 2 years then go OCS you get the respect of those under you and you understand both sides of branch...i can tell you a butter bar LT from college won't understand were us enlisted guys come from, but a Mustang will.

Sorry man, but I advise against this. The number of slots for enlisted to officer are so few this course of action just for some "respect" could screw the OP. You can be a Prior E Officer but if your a dbag, you're still a dbag.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member

horrible advice...if you have a degree and the oppurtunity to have a better quality of life and better pay, and you want to be in the military, be an officer!
once you are enlisted i promise you that you will not do just "2 years" you have to go through bootcamp, initial school (in the navy its called "A" school) then go to your next duty station and you will be required to do a minimum tour there before the command will let you go because you are filling a billet. then you have to apply for and put in a package for ocs...wait for the results of whatever officer program you pick and then go through ocs, then after ocs you are finally an officer.....you are looking at an average of 4 years...why waste the time.
and who gives a shit if some officer understands where us enlisted guys come from....i know a ton of shitty navy officers that use to be enlisted!

Users who are viewing this thread