Yup.... another "going turbo" thread...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
43cefaf3b37fdc07963c45fa0805e449.jpg

Bahahaha that's fantastic!

Regarding the manual/auto conversation... you just wont convert guys who are bent on rowing gears... like me.

I fully understand you cannot outshift an auto on the drag strip but that shit gets boring.

MANUAL trans!!

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member

Regarding the manual/auto conversation... you just wont convert guys who are bent on rowing gears... like me.

I fully understand you cannot outshift an auto on the drag strip but that shit gets boring.

MANUAL trans!!

break that mt82 twice in 6 months and you may sing a different tune. I love banging those gears, but at these power levels the sticks are violent to the entire driveline. My stick has caused an aftermarket driveshaft to snap and popped the rear end twice, along with the mt82 failing twice itself. 6r80 swap in progress....

atxjustice6r

Established Member
break that mt82 twice in 6 months and you may sing a different tune. I love banging those gears, but at these power levels the sticks are violent to the entire driveline. My stick has caused an aftermarket driveshaft to snap and popped the rear end twice, along with the mt82 failing twice itself. 6r80 swap in progress....

lol...this guy knows the struggle really is real, and expensive

MG01GT

Established Member
Well I don't plan to drag race at the track much at all.... I mean look at my profile pic.... Im not much of a lets just go straight kind of guy. With that said though, if I start breaking shit then I will row back on power and stay in my box. I want the big power but will fully admit that hey somethings are mostly novelty at some degree. Im a manual guy all the way. My lightning is auto obviously and as it should be. But even then Ive thought of a manual swap in it lol.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Meh. I agree with all that youre saying but some folks just aren't hell bent on achieving 4 digit horsepower numbers. There is no arguing how stout the auto is in this platform and if I was at the drag strip every weekend there is no doubt i would convert.

BUT-----An mt82 will go 10s all day. A t56 will survive easy 9s or more.

How fast do you want to go?

Some folks prefer to shift.

Well I don't plan to drag race at the track much at all.... I mean look at my profile pic.... Im not much of a lets just go straight kind of guy. With that said though, if I start breaking shit then I will row back on power and stay in my box. I want the big power but will fully admit that hey somethings are mostly novelty at some degree. Im a manual guy all the way. My lightning is auto obviously and as it should be. But even then Ive thought of a manual swap in it lol.

atta boy

Last edited:

Debro7046

Established Member

MANUAL trans!!

Agreed lol. I've driven a 9 second ls1 camaro down the track a few times and while its definitely fast that shit was the most boring 9 seconds ever lol. I understand if your looking for the best numbers and consistency auto is the way to go but for most of us this is just a hobby. My manual may be slower and I may never run 9's but I'm definitely having more fun lol

MG01GT

Established Member
Agreed lol. I've driven a 9 second ls1 camaro down the track a few times and while its definitely fast that shit was the most boring 9 seconds ever lol. I understand if your looking for the best numbers and consistency auto is the way to go but for most of us this is just a hobby. My manual may be slower and I may never run 9's but I'm definitely having more fun lol

My thoughts exactly! The fun factor is what I need. Ive been in some wicked fast autos, some that would just straight make my car look like a focus, but mehhhh.... it just seems like it isn't as fun. Ill use my Lightning as an example, if it wasn't for the fact that I tow a trailer with my bike on it then it would have been a manual swapped L for sure lol

Users who are viewing this thread