Z06->lightning?

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
So I'm not sure that this happens very often, but i currently have the H/C Z in my sig with 35k miles and I'm considering selling it and picking up a lightning. I went to the track in the vette recently and broke the tranny, put in a built tranny and rear and went back the next month and gernaded the rear. Now I have a new built rear in there and it decided to blow a head gasket (first real problem besides me going to the track). Anyway, the car has put me in some debt and I'm looking for something a little cheaper after I fix it. I know a lightning isn't necessarily going to be more reliable, but I do expect it to be cheaper to fix. I think eventually I would go built motor and whipple. I would be looking around $12-15k for one I think which means I would have money to buy a beater.

Anyway, what do you guys think about going vette-lightning? Will I miss the power? My brother tells me not to do the lightning because I want a truck and a fast car and he says it doesn't do either one well (he used to have an 03 cobra and now has a silverado). I would miss the manual trans for sure, but I can probably get over that. I drive 20 miles to work each way and I know the lightning will get way worse gas mileage too. The vette does 23-25 highway and 10-12 city alltogether averaging 16-18 on a normal tank for me. I know it's all personal preference and it is pointless to make this thread, but I wanted to hear from people with experience if I will really be happy with the lightning. I will seldom go to the track unless I have a second car (what I shoulda done with the vette).

I absolutely love my vette and it's really comfortable riding to work and it's stupid fast, but it is loud inside. Are the lightnings quiet/nice DD's? I would probalby just do a catback for now (as far as exhaust).

Well this is all pretty pointless, so here's the pics, lol. I'm just torn.

Here's my vette:
photo_10037_20090928.gif

And here's a pic I pulled from the white lightning pics thread. I like the white lightnings and I would probably do this:
wtltning.jpg

Or I have considered an ~05 f150 that I would do this to (although I couldn't afford the 4x4 :bored: )
053109_FX4_1.jpg

Last edited:

albino96

Established Member
Forgot to mention, I wouldn't mind something that passes smog or at least looks like it passes smog to a cop. I would hate to get a smog ref.

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
yea def drive a stock one at a dealership somewhere and see how you like it, then imagine about 60hp and 70tq more to the wheels with basic boltons...l's are pretty reliable, gas sucks like you said but not too big a deal

albino96

Established Member
Not too worried about gas because the payment would be lower to make up for extra spent on gas. I figure my average will go from 17 to 14 or something. Not too worried about it. I do want to eventually make it heavily modded, but hopefully by the time it's there I have another car.

I'm sad to lose the vette, but I've always wanted to try out a lightning. I'll see if I can find a dealer with one.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I'll try to answer some of your questions.

I know a lightning isn't necessarily going to be more reliable, but I do expect it to be cheaper to fix. I think eventually I would go built motor and whipple.

The Lightning's drivetrain is pretty stout. I'm still on a bone stock rearend and I ran 11.40's with a stock long block and stock transmission. I did have a torque converter and shift kit but it wasn't a built tranny.

albino96 said:
Anyway, what do you guys think about going vette-lightning? Will I miss the power? My brother tells me not to do the lightning because I want a truck and a fast car and he says it doesn't do either one well (he used to have an 03 cobra and now has a silverado).

If you're planning on building the engine and slapping a Whipple on it, no you won't miss the power at all. Your brother is crazy. Lightnings can most definitely be used for trucks. You can haul and tow with them, and a lot of guys on the board do just that. They can also be made to be very fast.

albino96 said:
I would miss the manual trans for sure, but I can probably get over that. I drive 20 miles to work each way and I know the lightning will get way worse gas mileage too. The vette does 23-25 highway and 10-12 city alltogether averaging 16-18 on a normal tank for me.

All of my cars prior to my Lightning were manuals. I was leery of having a performance vehicle with an automatic but I love it. Very consistent at the track and you can't beat it in Houston's stop and go traffic. My other fast cars with a heavy clutch really got old in that respect.

albino96 said:
I absolutely love my vette and it's really comfortable riding to work and it's stupid fast, but it is loud inside. Are the lightnings quiet/nice DD's? I would probalby just do a catback for now (as far as exhaust).

If you think the Vette is comfortable, try a Lightning. It's very comfortable and the higher seating position is great on the highway. It doesn't feel as "sporty" as the low-slung Vette, and it actually feels a little weird to be going fast in a vehicle that sits higher, but I love it. It's relatively quiet inside the cab depending on what exhaust you go with. Since the exhaust exits on the passenger side it's louder for the passenger than the driver, but you can get a nice sounding exhaust that won't make you shout to have a conversation while driving.

Lightnings aren't for everyone, but most people that get them get hooked on them. There has been many instances of people selling their trucks only to get another one because they liked it so much. They're not for everyone though. You'll just have to try one out and see if you like it.

Stupercharged

Established Member
i agree with the above statement! i had an 04 cobra vert that i traded for my L and i love it! i too had only had manual vehicles but the shift kit makes the trans completely different than any other manual as in the shifts are faster and firmer and i like it. definitely go drive one! in stop and go traffic to and from work its way better than a manual! good luck man!

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
Anyway, what do you guys think about going vette-lightning?

i went from ls powered to lightning and its a whole different world

Will I miss the power? My brother tells me not to do the lightning because I want a truck and a fast car and he says it doesn't do either one well (he used to have an 03 cobra and now has a silverado). I would miss the manual trans for sure, but I can probably get over that. I drive 20 miles to work each way and I know the lightning will get way worse gas mileage too. The vette does 23-25 highway and 10-12 city alltogether averaging 16-18 on a normal tank for me. I know it's all personal preference and it is pointless to make this thread, but I wanted to hear from people with experience if I will really be happy with the lightning. I will seldom go to the track unless I have a second car (what I shoulda done with the vette).

i think with even the right pulleys youll be fine with the power, IMHO a lightning "feels" slower than it is though so i guess its preference but just a pulley and supporting mods i got into the mid 12's all day

i personally think that the stock catback is fine unless it needs to be replaced, its made with some crappy quality stainless steel so for the most part they are pretty good,

i have the stock catback and its really quiet and cruises nicely and is one of the smoothest vehicles i have driven

i hate to say it but the BIGGEST drawback is the gas, i never cared before about gas and i used to drive a tahoe, but these trucks are VERY thirsty about 11-12mpg city if your taking it easy. and for me that just isnt practical as a DD so i dont DD mine like i originally planned

but all in all its fun and i would gladly give up my ws6 and z28 for it again i just wish i knew how bad the MPG was on it, but like i said its not a DD for me so no big deal

albino96

Established Member
So I talked to my dad today and he said he would help me pay for the repairs (kind of a christmas present) if I sell the car after it's fixed. So it looks like I'll be selling it for sure and a lightning is on the top of my list right now.

My vette get's like 10-12 around town with the H/C so that won't be a big difference, but my vette gets 20-25 fwy so that's where it'll hurt. I love the PD blowers though and wanted an 03 cobra, but those are more expensive and my brother and everyone I know already has one. I think a lightning is a good choice for me.

So within the next few months you should see me start cruising the 2nd gen forums. I was pretty active in the sn95 section when I had my cobra and now I'll be back (although I never really left). Looking forward to learning another car on SVTP!

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
With a set of Denso IT22's,Diablo handheld 93 octane tune and keeping my foot
out of the throttle...I get 16mpg and better all highway on cruise set @ 75mph or
below.

Roughly 350 or a tad better on a long trip but,that's just me.I've seen a ton of fuel
threads that vary greatly as far as what a L can do.

Stinger2007

Established Member
right on the money.......

I wouldn't give up a quick vette for an L. And that's coming from a built L owner

When you mention that your worried about missing all the raw pwr from your Z, well..........I can tell you that your absolutely correct.

I wish I had some pics to post of my metallic blue Z......I love her.....hee hee.

I gotta stand with BansheeMan on this one, (and he's even built, wow). Why not have both? is this an option?

albino96

Established Member
When you mention that your worried about missing all the raw pwr from your Z, well..........I can tell you that your absolutely correct.

I wish I had some pics to post of my metallic blue Z......I love her.....hee hee.

I gotta stand with BansheeMan on this one, (and he's even built, wow). Why not have both? is this an option?

I'm selling the vette because it has put me in debt. Parts and work are too damn expensive on it! Everyone i know for deals works on fords!

I could doa cobra as well. My vette was also kinda done without putting a bigger motor in it. A stockish car would let me start from scratch and do everything the way I want.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

It all depends on the Z. In this case it's a h/c car that puts down probably 430-440whp (depending of course on cam selection, etc. but that's average). While that's plenty of power for a 3100-3200lb car, I've shown plenty of them my tailgate even before I was built, especially from a dig.

Stinger2007

Established Member
Impressive....

It all depends on the Z. In this case it's a h/c car that puts down probably 430-440whp (depending of course on cam selection, etc. but that's average). While that's plenty of power for a 3100-3200lb car, I've shown plenty of them my tailgate even before I was built, especially from a dig.

I agree with this, :lol: This thread is done anyhow, the choice has been made. He may or may not be in for a shock? good, or bad.

I believe that the closest feeling he'll get to his Z06 is indeed an SVT cobra or L, modded or stock, prefferably modded.

Cheers, and enjoy.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Go for it! I just picked up my 2nd L after a couple of years of owning other vehicles. I have had a Cobra, and STi and an Evo and the only vehicle I have come back to is the L. There is something different and more fun about it. It is a sweet looking truck and it has the power and even more power potential to back it up IMO. It will definitely be different for you, but I think you will like it.

albino96

Established Member

440rwhp and it weighs 3080lbs. It runs like a raped ape. Steggy cobras don't stand a chance against it because of the weight and aerodynamics with that power. Plus my car won't heat soak after multiple runs. Stays consistant which was nice for my day at the track when I had to do a few back to back runs.

I love my car, jsut ready to spend the money of booze and girls and buying a house instead of it sitting in my garage. I think I'll be happy with an L. Still gotta find a dealer with one to let me test driv tho!

Last edited:

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
OP im in michigan but us lightning guys are generous and always willing to help im sure someone in socal will take you for a ride

albino96

Established Member
I have 2 buddies with L's I just never see them. I'll update you guys when I get my car sold and find an L. I was thinking about calling this guy:
2004 lightning

Users who are viewing this thread