Z06 This

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Thought I would tap into the MACA expertise for a few answers.

Little background story... I have had the plate "Z06 THIS" for quite sometime now and have not had a problem backing it up. (i.e. C5 Z06's).

Now the new C6 Z06's are out, it tis a lil different story as I am stock with exception of K&N anda Maganaflow catback.

My old FRIENDS from out west where I moved from are giving me shiate about getting my ass handed to me by a new Z06 (stock) if I keep the plate.

I have been working with John Lund and plan on modding soon. Think we are going with a 2.93 upper and possibly a 100 wet shot for those certain instances when you need it.;-) and of course an agressive Jon L tune.

My question is this:

Assuming the drivers are equal, will these mods provide me enough to hang with a stock C6 Z06?

Going to be renewing the plate tomorrow and having last minute thoughts. It is either stick with "Z06 THIS" or I was thinking of going with "C01LED".

Thanks in advance for thoughts MACA brethren

Ken

:beer: :beer:

01satinsilver

Official NJ MACA Pimp
Established Member
Well I have taken on a stock Z06 as well as my friend Paul and both times they went down fighting... We are both upper only steig stage IV port cars but I also have 3.73's I went from a 40-120 and than he started to reel me in. But it was obvious I walked away at the speeds that aero dynamics did not play too much of a factor

SPRAYED DAILY

MACA
Established Member
A 2.93 upper and a 100shot should do it for you but your going to be very disappointed when you're running around on a empty bottle. On a 100 shot (53 jet) I dont get more than 4 passes from a full bottle.

But I was pretty suprised what a port and lower does to these cars. I'd get a stage 3 or 4 Steig and a 4lb lower along with the mods you've already got planned. This way you've got another 50hp and 50tq all the time. A little weight reduction wont hurt either since at that power level you'll be needing to install a cage to run at the track, a K-Member, light weight wheels and Battery relocation would be a good place to start if you dont want to remove any of your interior.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
If you want to be sure, just go twin screw or turbo, get some boost, and be done with it :banana:

TRBO VNM

SPRAYED DAILY said:
A 2.93 upper and a 100shot should do it for you but your going to be very disappointed when you're running around on a empty bottle. On a 100 shot (53 jet) I dont get more than 4 passes from a full bottle.

But I was pretty suprised what a port and lower does to these cars. I'd get a stage 3 or 4 Steig and a 4lb lower along with the mods you've already got planned. This way you've got another 50hp and 50tq all the time. A little weight reduction wont hurt either since at that power level you'll be needing to install a cage to run at the track, a K-Member, light weight wheels and Battery relocation would be a good place to start if you dont want to remove any of your interior.

I don't think he is planning on that extreme. but definitely good options. Ken, you will be fine with your plans. I agree on adding the lower and reducing the amount of nitrous to a 50 shot.

that 50 will give you probably 60-70rwhp and 100+ rwtq. nitrous on these forced induction cars is crazy, so not as much is needed to make good power with nitrous.

also consider cooling mods like a intercooler res. and heat exchanger. when you do your clutch, get the LDC cooling mod. I can pretty much get you everything you need but the cooling mod. get that directly from LDC.

Last edited:

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
With the Juice, maybe, without it, I seriously doubt it.

I think the new ones are trapping 127ish, without spray you would be hard press to be trapping 124ish at best, with port and lower.

mixxer

Established Member
you need close to 550 hp to take down a stock zo6 from a roll. steeda30 from the board has run his buddy lankhoss a few time and hangs down low but gets walked up top and he has a pulled and ported upper with about 515-520. so you will need spray or a twin screw!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
F8LBITE said:
A good Z06 driver should run low low 11's high 10's on DR's. Those cars are bad ass. I would trade mine for 1

+1. I have seen vids of mildly modded 06 Z's walking on twin screw cobra's all day. I would think you need a minimum 550rwhp to make it close. Those things are animals.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Great info, I think I will still get the Z06 THIS plate...will force me to mod :lol:

Most of the guys I see in vettes just left the nursing home parking lot anyhow, I will take my chances.

If I need to get better rubber and more HP, so beit...got the money :D

Thanks again for all the replies,

Ken

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
I am the guy giving him Crap.
I just think he never believes me but I appreciate guys, you just summed up what I have been telling him.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
You'll need a KB or Whipple to take a stock one. The port job doesn't cut it unless there's spraying involved.

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
it's going to take a hell of alot more than even a twin screw to handle these cars. even a twin screw with some nitrous won't have an easy time with them. they seriously are something. too bad they're so much money, but definitely a performance bargain.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Hey Mike, thanks for chiming in....I am getting the msg...
still want to have fun and let the old men bring it, God for bid they miss a shift :lol:

MACA crew, although Mike leans towards GM, he does know his shit..been a good friend for quite some time..
he just needs a FORD rearend eh Mike?

Ken

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
There's a couple of pretty quick C6 Z06's in this area that run at Capitol Raceway pretty regularly and are nationally known. I was following their track performances over on one of the Vette boards for awhile. One of them actually exploded a diff cover, (which evidently happens on occasion for the Z's that hit the drag strips....) and a buddy of mine saw it in the shop at Sport Chevrolet getting the rear replaced....on warranty!!! Evidently, Chevy is backing them up on this. Tommy probably knows a lot more about this than me....

But, of the two fellas in this area, one of them was the first Z to hit the 10's with drag radials only. I believe he had a K & N filter in it too and was running 10.90's. The other fella was DR's only and was hitting consistent 11.20's, but the boards where all over his slong about how great a driver he was.

I'd say if you can run 11.2/11.3 with a twin screw or a juiced Eaton, you'll be able to take the VAST majority of the 06 Z's. But, we're talking STOCK 06's!!!! Agree with all the above posts: They're some fast muthas!!!!

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
kens03cobra said:
Mike, I can't believe I missed this the first time....

What did you mean to say?

:pepper: :banana:

Ken
So I like guys, big deal... Ment to say I apperciate you guys (backing me up and they didn't even know it...)

I have a 9 inch (not weiner harty har) coming in the middle of October for the bird. Then I will do a Nitrous pass...Hope to see 11's.

Users who are viewing this thread