z06 vs gt

californiacuda

Established Member
Gt frontal area

I have rechecked my calculations for the frontal area of the Ford GT. I had previously reported it at over 21 sq ft. I now come up with 20 sq ft.

At the lower ouside part of the car, the widest portion (not counting the mirrors) is at the rear tires. At that point the car is 76 1/2 inches wide. That width goes up in a straight vertical line to the top of the fender/top of the mirror at 35 5/8 in from the ground. Subtracting out the 5in of tire heigth/ground clearance, the lower portion of the car is 76.50 in x 30.625 in which equals 2342.81 in sq / 144 = 16.27 sq ft.

Above this area is the roof on the top and the angling side window/ body on the sides. The area is 60 in wide and 8.5 in tall, less the area reduced as the side window angles in as it rises, approximately 107 in sq. So 60in x 8.5in = 510 in sq - 107 in sq = 403 in sq / 144 = 2.797 ft sq.

I have read that when calulating the frontal area that only the front tires are to be used. 9" wide x 5" tall (exposed area as the car sits 5 in off the ground) x 2 = 90sq in / 144 = .625 ft sq.

The mirror area is not completly used as the fender width covered about 1/2 of the mirror. 5 in wide x 4 in high x 2 = 40 in sq / 144 = .277 ft sq.

The total is 16.27 ft sq + 2.797 ft sq + .625 ft sq + .277 ft sq =

19.97 ft sq of frontal area.

Sorry for the long calculations, but somebody on the forum wanted to see them. I'm not trying to piss anybody off or act like a know it all. It's just that I haven't seen any published numbers for the GT's frontal area. I used this number plus some information from an a coast down test in Motor Trend to come up with a Cd of .38. I can show my numbers for that calculation also if anybody wishes. If I have made a mistake let me know.

satx

Banned
Fadis_Z said:
EXCELLENT post!! Very useful and very true.

So here is a question for ya, Satx. If the Viper is actually more aerodynamic than the C6 Z06, why is it that the Z06 can hit 198 mph but the Viper can't when the Viper even has the taller gear?

There are a few answers I can think of.

1) Z06 produces more downforce as speeds increase, hence, trailing it to 198 mph.

2) Z06 has a higher redline.

3) combination of both.

What do you think?

Thanks

just a guess but

The Z06 is right at it's peak HP at 198 MPH where it is drag limited. It also makes a little more power and is sending alot more torque to the tires at high RPMs given it's deeper gears.

satx

Banned
californiacuda said:
At the lower ouside part of the car, the widest portion (not counting the mirrors) is at the rear tires. .

californiacuda said:
I have read that when calulating the frontal area that only the front tires are to be used. 9" wide x 5" tall (exposed area as the car sits 5 in off the ground) x 2 = 90sq in / 144 = .625 ft sq. .

here it seems that you are using the rear tires as the widest point and then stating that only the front tires should be used.

californiacuda said:
The mirror area is not completly used as the fender width covered about 1/2 of the mirror. 5 in wide x 4 in high x 2 = 40 in sq / 144 = .277 ft sq.

The total is 16.27 ft sq + 2.797 ft sq + .625 ft sq + .277 ft sq =

19.97 ft sq of frontal area..

I am no expert but it seems your method has alot of room for error. Have you measured a car with published stats to see how accurate you are? An SRT-10 would be perfect.......maybe you should just go buy one so that we can check the accuracy of your measurements. :thumbsup:

Your findings do support my theory that the frontal area of the GT is low enough to overcome the Z06's advantage in Cd.

californiacuda

Established Member
The rear tires and the rear fenders define the max width of the car, and the front tire width and heigth define the square area used for the frontal calculation.

Why don't you rent me an srt 10 and I'll measure the car and do the calculations with my not very reliable method.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
not all vipers have the same CD. my 2001 GTS-ACR coupe has a .35 CD. RT-10's have a .40 CD and GEN 3 vipers have yet a different CD as well

the original GT-40 had a .44 CD with lots of lift in the front. from all the data i have been able to collect it seems that the new GT's CD is .38

C-5 & C-6 corvettes have the lowest CD of all though

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread