Zero Turn Mowers

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Since we're posting pics....my 2010 Bobcat Procat 52" 19HP Kawasaki. Bought it new and have only had one coil failure in 11 years.
3A4681DB-1CD2-47FE-A538-057D46FCB135.jpeg

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Lol
Cutting rocks? I have to sharpen mine every 2 weeks. I keep spares ready to go.
Ive been at out house almost 5 years. Put new blades on 2 years ago.

Explains the blades…

edit: rocks, metal monster trucks, tree roots, more rocks, limbs…

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
For price and specs, the Toro/Exmark ones are hard to beat. Tends to be lots of support and dealers for them and they've got a wide selection from residential grade up to commercial. There is a pretty big difference between the two and there's different OEMs that serve each one, so you have to really narrow down what you're looking for. If you're really looking at cutting down time and doing yards on the weekend, you might want to opt for the commercial route. In that realm I've had good experience with Dixie Choppers, Grasshopper, and Scag for the commercial operations I've worked for. Back on the residential side Husqvarna also has decent options when it comes to features, price, and support.

Some thoughts on features, especially after dealing with a new yard-
Productivity depends on speed and deck width.
You want as much deck width as you can get, but remember if you've got gates or narrow areas, you may not be able to go that big. More deck and blades is going to take more power too.
More speed is obviously better. A no brainer on good flat, level ground. But when your yard feels more like the moon's surface, you can't use all that speed. A wider, slower mower would have higher productivity in that case (maybe even a tractor type.) Also keep in mind that you might be able to gain that speed back by going up the model range into something with a suspension. I thought "Pfft. I never ran one with a suspension before, why need it now?" Well I learned my lesson after just about bouncing out my fillings trying to mow the lawn.
Make your selection based on how open and how smooth your yard is.

MattN03

03RCODE
Established Member
I've been pleased with my Toro Z-Master 3000 with a 60" deck. It has 580 hours on it, and hasn't had any issues. I maintain our 16 acres (much of it's woods), and a few side yards.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
Toro timecutter 3225 here. Been great so far it’s one year old. Just had it tuned up and oil changed.

My St Augustine is an absolute carpet and this thing has zero issues.

c24bb5c792bd2f3d544cb8b5a693608f.jpg

990273e4603457cf41fe62fe126cb6d7.jpg

43e4cc08fc7938af29746e1e0d325274.jpg

87cf077a157640f26fdbecc0d07292a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I did a bunch of research between the Cub Cadet and Ariens XD 52" units since it's my first zero turn and mow about an acre and a half. The Ariens seems to get better reviews so that's what I went with. Price was $3,200 at a local dealer (Lowes sells it too) with the Kawasaki engine and so far it's been great. It's bumpy but I'm not prepared to spend $6K+ just yet and don't want a used machine.

Screenshot_20210721-225233_Gallery_compress6.jpg

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Soil type really affects blade performance. "Gotta lot of sand?", prepare to sharpen more.

^I like your Trump sticker I like decorating my tractor too...

(V twin, 624cc, puts all my neighbor's single cylinder toys to shame )
20210722_002959.jpeg
20210722_002516.jpeg

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
There is mulching blade option?

View attachment 1712738
Thanks Dom. I did a ton of research and narrowed it down to an Xmark and Cub Cadet ZT2. I ended up with the ZT2 50”. Better cut quality, has the 23HP Kawasaki, fab deck, bigger transmissions. This isn’t a box store unit. It came from a local dealer. Been a fantastic machine in the 2 years I’ve had it. 3 year warranty too. If I had one complaint, the lack of aftermarket mulching blades. View attachment 1712736View attachment 1712737

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
How'd you get your bahia to come in so thick?

The house I'm moving to will have bahia(always had st Augustine) but the rental I'm at the Bahia looks pathetic spacing wise.
I had a new lawn put in last year John. The sod guy used what he called "Certified Bahia", I guess there's a difference. I have a lawn service that treats it, but I also use Milorganite on it which really greens and thickens it.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a new lawn put in last year John. The sod guy used what he called "Certified Bahia", I guess there's a difference. I have a lawn service that treats it, but I also use Milorganite on it which really greens and thickens it.

Interesting. Guess I'll need to look it up. Doubt the builder will spec it but Ill try a lawn service+Milorganite on it. Yours looks great.

patc84

Established Member
Milorganite def helps thicken up bahia. I have it as well. its good for heavy traffic and my dogs run hard.

Users who are viewing this thread