Zex Blackout nitrous kit on my 04 Cobra??

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I am thinking about putting this kit on my 04 Cobra . I have an aluminator short block , stock heads , ported eaton , 2.76 upper , 4lb lower . The car also has full exhaust with ported dragon plenum and throttle body , return fuel system with 60lb injectors . I would probably just do a 100 shot . I am guessing I would also have to upgrade injectors to a bigger size ? I asked my tuner about tuning the car with nitrous and he wasn't crazy about it . So I am kind of torn on what to do . I don't know much about nitrous and posted the thread to see what you guys think . I know it would cool the intake temps and give me an extra kick when I wanted it, so I can't see how it would be a bad thing . I got a deal on the kit , it has a bottle warmer, purge kit , window switch and jets from 75-150. should I install it or sell it and save up for a bigger blower? Just looking for some opinions .

Sick SVT

Established Member
Install it. I almost went nitrous on my car. You will get a $h!t ton of torque. With a built shortblock you can probably run a bigger shot also. IMO your injectors will be fine. Im assuming its a wet kit? Lots of guys on this site have done nitrous with a ported eaton and setup correctly its lots of fun. I think theres a guy that hit 700rwhp with a 150 shot and ported eaton. Lots of power to be had with the juice! Some people say go bigger blower if you can afford it since you dont have to wait for the bottle to be up to pressure, fill it up, etc but I think for just a little hit here and there its the way to go.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I have been thinking hard about it and doing some research and a part of me don't want to do it because I finally got my car working perfect with my current setup . I had a lot of bugs to work out and got them all ironed out . The other part of me wants to spray just for that element of surprise and the extra hp when I want it . I am just wondering how big of a pain in the ass it is to tune and get it working properly . It is a wet kit . I have been reading about issues with the zex kits with modules failing and causing problems . I also have lean protection so I do have some piece of mind there . It isn't cheap though . $600 bucks for the kit , probably $600 for a tune , not sure if I need injectors for a 100 shot but they would likely be $3-500 used , so I am looking at around $1600 for the whole deal . Plus the cost of filling the bottle . Is it worth the 650 rwhp and keeping the scream from the eaton ... maybe . I still don't know though .lol

Teviinz

Established Member
a guy at my locar track has a built mach 1 with a kb 2.6 i think and hes spraying a 150 on top of 17psi im pretty sure. imo i say spray a 75 or 100. something small like that and since zex kits are wet shot systems you wouldnt have to upgrade you injectors as fuel is sprayed into the intake tube along with the nitrous. tuning it shouldnt be that bad.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
makes sense . I have the lethal budget return fuel system . It came with the 255 lph walbros . I put the kit up for sale , if it don't sell maybe I will install it . It may also depend on how many more times I get my ass handed to me . lol

red beast

Banned
I thought about going nitrous for a long time, finally I just went with a blower upgrade. I wanted the extra power all the time and when I had nitrous on my mach 1 I would go through a bottle a weekend. And filling the bottles got very expensive quickly.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Buy a mother bottle and fill station to go with it and it will save you some cash in the long run , when it comes to filling bottles

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
That's what I'm thinking , I will probably just save up for a 2.9 and sell the nitrous kit . It's tempting but I think I would rather have the power all the time , rather than having to fill bottles and flash tunes regularly . The nitrous would be a nice add on just for the wow factor but it's tough to justify at this point , I just ordered a new alternator , pulley and new mt drag radials , so that's cutting into the nitrous plan as well .

Users who are viewing this thread