ZL1 laps the 'Ring at 7:41.27.....

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Given that the ring is very bumpy, I'm sure the trick suspension on the ZL1 helped it out a lot.

GM ran the CTSV to a 7:59, which is mechanically similar to this car, so its looks like they were able to wrangle a good bit more performance out of it.

Last edited:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I think the 2013 is the first one being tested there. I don't recall seeing any previous models testing on the 'Ring.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
What has the GT500 (any year) done for lap times there?

I'm not sure if there has ever been an "officially" reported time. A ford GT in some Euro mag a few years ago ran a ~7:40, but given how large and difficult the track is, who really knows how good of a run it was.

It's probably safe to bet that we won't hear from Ford (or Chrysler for that matter) unless they can beat it. Not sure how the SRA would like those very bumpy corners.

Kenneth

Established Member
I read a comment somewhere the 2013 GT500 they were testing outran the ZL1 in the turns.

I'll find where it came from.

Kenneth

Established Member
GM posted new Nurburgring ZL1 footage of 2 different cars 2 days after my post. There were locals running watches (as always)... There are a few of us going up this weekend, there were afternoon tourist days all this week and I have heard that "the" 500 was up there. Friday is an unannounced day so, if we are lucky, we could see some last minute runs before round 8 of the VLN on Saturday. The race starts at noon so track prep can be done prior to that so Friday will be one of those days you see strange test being done because the day isn't advertised and spectators are fewer.

Something was wrong with the blue ZL1, nothing severe enough to tow it away... It was running funny I guess.. I wasn't there though. There were 2 full tourist days on the 18th and 19th so I think the testing was done on those days. There were two afternoon slots on the 16th and 17th but I heard it was Sunday/Monday. The times are similar to the black and blue but not red ("the" 500). I heard that SVT is staying at the hotel Tiergarten in Nurburg but the car won't be there . A couple of my guys are up there now (I am having trouble standing up this week), the track should open in about an hour and a half (about 1730), I hope they catch something.

Depending on what I see, a trip to Cologne might be in the future .

Edit: Comparing the two videos, there is a portion of the track that both "the" 500 and the Blue ZL1 run through in each of their videos. This particular turn is dangerous on exit in the GT500 as it has a cemented area that causes the cars axle to lateral push with a mini hop and chirp. Red was about 1-1.5 seconds faster through that area than the ZL1. The ZL1 is slower in the turns for some reason, it took the bump kinda sluggish and got to the end of the candy cane at least a second behind.

Edit #2: The only info I have now from Ford on the Mustang is this:
MY12:
Final Orders Due: 12/23/11
Last Day to Change/Cancel: 1/6/11
Job Last Date: 2/24/12

MY13:
Order Banks Open: 12/5/11
Scheduling: 1/26/12
Job 1 Start: 2/27/12

Looks like 2012s will be built for over 13 months.. it could be the back orders from MT82s, V6 and Boss delays.... and NAV delays. MY13 Job 1 will be 1.25 months behind MY12 Job 1, so last minute updates from GM cannot be done...
Attached Images

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
GM posted new Nurburgring ZL1 footage of 2 different cars 2 days after my post. There were locals running watches (as always)... There are a few of us going up this weekend, there were afternoon tourist days all this week and I have heard that "the" 500 was up there. Friday is an unannounced day so, if we are lucky, we could see some last minute runs before round 8 of the VLN on Saturday. The race starts at noon so track prep can be done prior to that so Friday will be one of those days you see strange test being done because the day isn't advertised and spectators are fewer.

Something was wrong with the blue ZL1, nothing severe enough to tow it away... It was running funny I guess.. I wasn't there though. There were 2 full tourist days on the 18th and 19th so I think the testing was done on those days. There were two afternoon slots on the 16th and 17th but I heard it was Sunday/Monday. The times are similar to the black and blue but not red ("the" 500). I heard that SVT is staying at the hotel Tiergarten in Nurburg but the car won't be there . A couple of my guys are up there now (I am having trouble standing up this week), the track should open in about an hour and a half (about 1730), I hope they catch something.

Depending on what I see, a trip to Cologne might be in the future .

Edit: Comparing the two videos, there is a portion of the track that both "the" 500 and the Blue ZL1 run through in each of their videos. This particular turn is dangerous on exit in the GT500 as it has a cemented area that causes the cars axle to lateral push with a mini hop and chirp. Red was about 1-1.5 seconds faster through that area than the ZL1. The ZL1 is slower in the turns for some reason, it took the bump kinda sluggish and got to the end of the candy cane at least a second behind.

Edit #2: The only info I have now from Ford on the Mustang is this:
MY12:
Final Orders Due: 12/23/11
Last Day to Change/Cancel: 1/6/11
Job Last Date: 2/24/12

MY13:
Order Banks Open: 12/5/11
Scheduling: 1/26/12
Job 1 Start: 2/27/12

Looks like 2012s will be built for over 13 months.. it could be the back orders from MT82s, V6 and Boss delays.... and NAV delays. MY13 Job 1 will be 1.25 months behind MY12 Job 1, so last minute updates from GM cannot be done...
Attached Images

Great info! Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread