Zl1 you are done!!!

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I love how they pull the "corvette" card haha... when ford doesn't have anything to compete with it, or in the same category... but since the Mustang vs Camaro is no longer a competition any more... Mustangs are starting to gang up on vettes. Who knows, maybe next generation mustangs will be aimed at corvettes since the "maros" are not even worth a try...

That's funny because it's true.

I spent some time over on Camaro5, and every time they couldn't deny that the Mustang was better than the Camaro in some particular aspect or another, in came the Corvette excuses.

"The 5.0 may be faster, but we still have the Corvette!"

Really, guy? You're going to compare a $50k purpose built sports car to a $30k 2+2 pony car? How lame is that?

Last edited:

turd burglar

Established Member
Nice, that's pretty surprising but good work none the less! My buddy just got a zl1, not as quick as his c6z was, but right on par with his regular c6. The weight of those things kills em. He's gonna throw on a killer chiller, pulley and tune and should be right around 650whp. I'm not a fanboy of any brand, the new stangs are capable as hell and I can't wait for my '13 to get here, but the zl1 is a sexy lookin bitch as well. Again, kudos on the W

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Good kill OP! I've had the pleasure of racing a 5.0 Boss and that thing was impressive as hell!

What I can't understand is why a ZL1 is so unimpressive in a straight line.(or so it seems) I know at over 2 tons it's a hefty car, but it's also rated at over 130 whp more than the Boss, and the similar platform CTS-V, that's rated slightly heavier running the same motor rated at 24 less HP seems to be such a strong performer in comparison. It's not like the ZL1 is running some crazy tall gearing or anything.

I've been wondering the same thing since the ZL1's came out. If anything, the CTS-V's should be a a disadvantage, yet they seem to be faster in general.

They are. It's that 1.9L shit ass blower.

The 1900 is crappy compared to the 2300. If Chevy had used a better blower and cooling system they could have definitely wrung more power out of the ZL1. I've seen them run and a friend owns one. Once they are heated up, they are worthless. I've beaten him at the track in my bolt on 01' Z06.

EDIT I have owned a 1900 powered vehicle (GTO). I wish I had saved up for the 2300.

Is the blower that comes on the ZL1 different than the one that comes on the CTS-V's? The V's are making 600-650 rwhp with the stock blowers and 650-700+ with ported factory 1.9 blower, all through the auto. That doesn't seem like a shitty blower to me. (Note, I'm talking about cars that have heads/cam work, not bolt-ons cars, but the part in question is the blower itself.)

Also, I believe they are making progress in swapping the 2.3 from a ZR1 onto the V's, but the initial attempts didn't work due to high intake air temps. The 1.9's don't seem to have that issue. If the ZL1's are heat soaking as bad as is being claimed in drag races then they must have a different blower setup than the V's

Also, badws6ta, the 1.9 you had on your GTO isn't really comparable to the one that comes on the LSA's. People running the Magnuson 1.9's on their G8's are under-performing as well and would have been better off with a 2.3 for the most part.

Nice, that's pretty surprising but good work none the less! My buddy just got a zl1, not as quick as his c6z was, but right on par with his regular c6. The weight of those things kills em. He's gonna throw on a killer chiller, pulley and tune and should be right around 650whp.

He's gonna need more than those mods to hit 650 whp. Did he mean flywheel?

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Good kill OP! I've had the pleasure of racing a 5.0 Boss and that thing was impressive as hell!

I've been wondering the same thing since the ZL1's came out. If anything, the CTS-V's should be a a disadvantage, yet they seem to be faster in general.

Is the blower that comes on the ZL1 different than the one that comes on the CTS-V's? The V's are making 600-650 rwhp with the stock blowers and 650-700+ with ported factory 1.9 blower, all through the auto. That doesn't seem like a shitty blower to me. (Note, I'm talking about cars that have heads/cam work, not bolt-ons cars, but the part in question is the blower itself.)

Also, I believe they are making progress in swapping the 2.3 from a ZR1 onto the V's, but the initial attempts didn't work due to high intake air temps. The 1.9's don't seem to have that issue. If the ZL1's are heat soaking as bad as is being claimed in drag races then they must have a different blower setup than the V'sAlso, badws6ta, the 1.9 you had on your GTO isn't really comparable to the one that comes on the LSA's. People running the Magnuson 1.9's on their G8's are under-performing as well and would have been better off with a 2.3 for the most part.

He's gonna need more than those mods to hit 650 whp. Did he mean flywheel?

I'll have to look it up but I am pretty sure they are the same. Seems like the ZL1's are slower all the time though. I wonder what has been changed.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
I'll have to look it up but I am pretty sure they are the same. Seems like the ZL1's are slower all the time though. I wonder what has been changed.

I agree, they seem to be down performance wise, despite the numbers on paper being in their favor. Maybe the wheels on the ZL1 weigh 100lbs each, lol.

C6Z06427

Established Member
Good kill.

I can't believe how bad these Zl1 are running stock. My CTS-v ran a 11.9 in stock trim.

I am so glad I didn't lose my mind and get one of these cars. it would have cost 10gs to get it to run in the low 10s

turd burglar

Established Member
Once their IAT's hit 119° I believe, they start to pull timing like crazy. On a hot day, it's nothin to hit 119° temps, so their cooling is in desperate need of an upgrade

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
after seeing a ZL1 take off and easily chasing him down. I know now that I have more than enough to cover one and I am really unimpressed by their performance stock.

ArabianOak

Established Member
all this talk about heat, keep in mind it was low 50s that morning gang. also, i had my car dynod this week.

BossDyno_zpsd2b837ff.jpg

ibleedblue65

Established Member
Nice kill op. Definitely one to be proud of. All this talk about a bigger blower, better intercooler etc and the zl1 would make better power. Doesn't the zl1 come with a cast piston? BOOM!

turd burglar

Established Member
Nice kill op. Definitely one to be proud of. All this talk about a bigger blower, better intercooler etc and the zl1 would make better power. Doesn't the zl1 come with a cast piston? BOOM!

Plenty of guys making big power on stock internals with no issues. They are a well put together setup overall, just need some more oomph, but they can easily handle it.

Jroc

Established Member
I wonder if 500+ whp is possible in a streetable(not some cammed out, annoying to drive more than 10 minutes shit, and still running pump gas) all muscle Roadrunner setup?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread