ZX-9 how fast? I just smoked one.

turbo94gt

Established Member
I just want to start off by saying this is a great site. I have been reading this forum for a while but I just registered today. There is alot of good info here with some sick cars. Anyway here goes my first post. I was cruisin up to the parts store with my brother and up comes three bikes. This is the first time I have encountered any bikes and wanted a go at it. So these guys just cruise past me while the road opens up and all just get on it at the same time. I drop it in third and am right behind them the whole time. We all let off after about 120 and they still didnt notice me there so I wait till the road opens again and swing past them in the fast lane giving them an earfull of my bypass valve. I dont know if they heard it with the wind and their helmets and all but they just looked over and did not attempt to get me. I then continued to cruise and they are falling behind me thinking to myself they dont want to run. So I exit onto rt 287s which is a great highway to run on and here they come all right behind me. SO the first guy gets right on my ass and i downshifted to let him know and just smoked this guy. I let off and I see in the rearview the guy shaking his head to the rider next to him and then switching to the slow lane waving his buddy on to race next. I guess he couldnt hang. not sure what bike it was though. So I get in the middle lane waiting for his buddy to come up. He does, i look at him he looks at me and we go from about 60-65mph. I had him by 1.5 -2 cars up to the top of 4th into fifth. I let off as soon as i shifted into fifth so we were going about 140 maybe. He then comes up next to me and gives the thumbs up and the nod and return it to him. I knew it was a kawasaki but not the model. I followed them off the next exit and talked to the guy. We asked him what bike it was but could not hear him but we heard 900 cc and saw ZX-9 on the side of the bike. THe guy said to us that thing is quick as shit, what is in it and i told him a single. We themn waved by and were off. I was pretty pumped but did not know how fast these bikes are. It looked pretty new maybe mid to late 90's? any ideas?

Tman

Established Member
Thats always pretty cool to either beat a bike no matter what year it is or hang with them at least for a bit. Sounds like you had tons of fun there and good guys to go against. Anyways welcome to the site and congrats!!! :beer:
Btw what kind of setup are you running including your suspension?

turbo94gt

Established Member
Yeah it was fun for sure. First time against a bike. I have a t64 on a stock longblock running 18-20psi with alky injection. For suspension I have the bullitt lowering kit, lower control arms, subframes and nitto drags.

00GT

Banned
turbo94gt said:
Yeah it was fun for sure. First time against a bike. I have a t64 on a stock longblock running 18-20psi with alky injection. For suspension I have the bullitt lowering kit, lower control arms, subframes and nitto drags.

How does a stock long block hold up to 20 psi and alky injection?

turbo94gt

Established Member
Well there are many people making over 500rwhp with the stock block. The alky prevents detonation and i dont rev it past 5k. I dont expect it to last long though thats for sure.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
how much power you got? newer ZX-9's.. is pretty damn quick bike.... you gotta be in the 10's at 125ish to take one down from a roll

Last edited:

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
turbo94gt said:
Well there are many people making over 500rwhp with the stock block. The alky prevents detonation and i dont rev it past 5k. I dont expect it to last long though thats for sure.

You don't rev it past 5k? That is where your turbo is going to start to shine... something dosent add up.

turbo94gt

Established Member
2003Slobra said:
You don't rev it past 5k? That is where your turbo is going to start to shine... something dosent add up.
what doesnt add up? I make full boost before 3k up until 5k. My car trapped 120 at 16lbs and now i am running between 18 and 20lbs, so i am probably in the mid to upper 120's.

Last edited:

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
wow thats amazing to be making all that power from 3-5K rpms.... i never seen that done before. usually most boosted cars are well up over 5500 rpms and modulars approaching 6K easily.

00GT

Banned
turbo94gt said:
what doesnt add up? I make full boost before 3k up until 5k. My car trapped 120 at 16lbs and now i am running between 18 and 20lbs, so i am probably in the mid to upper 120's.

Let's see some pics of your turbo and motor.

turbo94gt

Established Member
Tman said:
Damn, must haul ass for sure! How about gearing?
I have stock 3.08s out back so the car has some good top end. I think my car should be at around 530-550 rwhp at 20psi. There are a few guys on turbomustangs that have the stock longblock at 16psi and make 500rwhp and 600rwt, so I am basing my numbers off of theirs.

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
turbo94gt said:
Oh 1000hp viper? No problem, maybe 2k? :rollseyes
A bike slower than that ZX9 ran a 1000hp viper all the way up to 150mph. It's in Road and Track this month.

You ran into a shit rider.

turbo94gt

Established Member
kneedragger said:
A bike slower than that ZX9 ran a 1000hp viper all the way up to 150mph. It's in Road and Track this month.

You ran into a shit rider.
Is the name of the bike MV Agusta F4-1000 MT Tamburini? that bike has 173 hp. the bike I ran has between 124 and 138hp.

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
turbo94gt said:
Is the name of the bike MV Agusta F4-1000 MT Tamburini? that bike has 173 hp. the bike I ran has between 124 and 138hp.
The MVAgusta doesn't put out that much. It's quoted vs. Real. It's maybe 160ish to the wheel and geared taller than the Ninja.

the ZX9s ran 10.20s in the quarter all day. Kawis are known for being fast.

Users who are viewing this thread