03-04 gas tank cover

gotjack

Established Member
What’s up boys . So my exhaust burnt a big chunk out of my gas tank cover. You can’t see it unless you’re under the car but I wanted to replace it. Do i need to drop the whole fuel tank or can I replace the cover without dropping the whole tank?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bullitt1448

Established Member
1) make sure your tank is almost empty, I know that sounds like a no brainer and no offence was intended but I can not begin to count the times a customer would bring his unit in with the fuel tank right full or nearly when we had to pull the tank out. Some of these we so obviously a fuel tank leak and some are units we diagnosed and ordered parts and told them to bring it back when the parts arrive with a low as possible fuel level.

2) you don’t need to pull the tank right out but you will need to lower it and you will need to support it somehow. It’s a loose fit over the tank basically the straps hold it in. Hopefully the melted section isn’t stuck onto the tank. 2 bolts in the front of the straps and the straps are on pins that pivot. Should be reasonably easy as long as the bolts that hold the straps aren’t seized.

3) good luck, it shouldn’t be too difficult

gotjack

Established Member
1) make sure your tank is almost empty, I know that sounds like a no brainer and no offence was intended but I can not begin to count the times a customer would bring his unit in with the fuel tank right full or nearly when we had to pull the tank out. Some of these we so obviously a fuel tank leak and some are units we diagnosed and ordered parts and told them to bring it back when the parts arrive with a low as possible fuel level.

2) you don’t need to pull the tank right out but you will need to lower it and you will need to support it somehow. It’s a loose fit over the tank basically the straps hold it in. Hopefully the melted section isn’t stuck onto the tank. 2 bolts in the front of the straps and the straps are on pins that pivot. Should be reasonably easy as long as the bolts that hold the straps aren’t seized.

3) good luck, it shouldn’t be too difficult

Thank you. I took the tank almost empty when I had my fore return style installed. Didn’t know if it was as something simple I can do or pay a professional to do it. I guess it’s not bad since you can’t see the burn on the cover but I know it’s there and it bothers me ha

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

x182dan

Established Member
Not to hijack your thread but I have the same hole in mine. Are the plastic covers 0304 cobra specific or are gt/v6 covers the same?

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s pretty simple swap. And they are all the same from 1981-2004. Makers garage has a nice carbon fiber piece if you want to get fancy. Lol

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It’s pretty simple swap. And they are all the same from 1981-2004. Makers garage has a nice carbon fiber piece if you want to get fancy. Lol

but then you have to be upset when something happens to it.

mine got an exhaust melt in it but it's on the front side where you can't see it on the car.

Definitely all the same, the tanks are the same externally, terminator tanks had internal baffles. I have a terminator tank in my mach with the same cover and no issues at all.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
but then you have to be upset when something happens to it.

mine got an exhaust melt in it but it's on the front side where you can't see it on the car.

Definitely all the same, the tanks are the same externally, terminator tanks had internal baffles. I have a terminator tank in my mach with the same cover and no issues at all.
I’m pretty sure mine has an exhaust melt scar on the front of it too. But it’s the original. Not carbon fiber.

I agree tho. I wouldn’t want it to get damaged in any way either. Looks cool tho. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread