Ford Flashed my 14 500 for 3.73 gears

bossman302

Banned
Took it in today to have computer flashed, there system, show'd the 3.73 gear as an option for the GT 500, and correct tire size for my 2014 GT 500. I had them update it to 3.73's, rear end is going in tomorrow, I bought the Full 3.73 Boss 302 rear end from ford racing. It was a little off on the way home as it still has the 3.31 gears. Hopefully the ford tune took. Will know tomorrow.

Anyone else done this?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Took it in today to have computer flashed, there system, show'd the 3.73 gear as an option for the GT 500, and correct tire size for my 2014 GT 500. I had them update it to 3.73's, rear end is going in tomorrow, I bought the Full 3.73 Boss 302 rear end from ford racing. It was a little off on the way home as it still has the 3.31 gears. Hopefully the ford tune took. Will know tomorrow.

Anyone else done this?

At least one other TRIED. Husky44 was unsuccessful with a Ford tune, and ended up going with one from Revan Racing to correct for his new gears.

I wonder if this is another change from '13->'14...?

Last edited:

Myfast70

Established Member
I'm anxious to see if it works, hopefully... I hope they can do so without changing any other parameters.

Husky44

Established Member
OP: If you're still running stock gears, and the computer actually took the reset, then your speedo should be SIGNIFICANTLY off. IIRC, my car was reading ~80 mph when I was travelling 65. Since you still have the 3.31s in, If your speedo is indicating 65, you should be going closer to 50-55 (gps indicated).

The flash "took" on my car too. Tech thought everything worked right, I took the car down the road, and checked speedo against GPS on my phone, and discovered that the reset didn't really significantly change anything. My tech contacted Ford and they told him that they were not going to activate the settings for the GT500. I think I copied the text of their response in my post on this subject.

Would love to hear if you get a different result, although at this point, I already own my SCT Tuner, so I'm going to stick with what I have... Probably a 13-6 kit in the future (after suspension upgrades). :D

NvrEnfHP

Established Member
Just had mine done two weeks ago. Ford said it "took" speedo said it did not.

Revan racing tune/tuner fixed that. Now it's dead on.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

Anyone else done this?

Who did you get the axle assembly through and what did you pay?

bossman302

Banned
Who did you get the axle assembly through and what did you pay?

Ford Racing, Bought through Local Dealer, I paid $1295 for the Complete rear.

And Bad news, The Ford tune did not work, so Looks Like I will be ordering an SCT tuner on Monday,

All in all very Happy with the swap, 1st Gear is much better now, not as long, and only add about 400 RPM at 70MPH. It also seems a lot easier to drive. The 3.31 gears where quite sluggish.

Also, Before I swapped I asked about the anti Moan brackets as the rear brakes are larger than the boss, So I ordered Boss Moan Brackets, and Rotors.

I found that the 2014 rear does not have anti Moan brackets for the rear calipers, Prior to the swap, my Car had the bad brake squeal, Now after the swap my car does not have the brake squeal anymore. This may have to due with the adding the anti moan bracket to the rear calipers.

Last edited:

RedNightmare06

Established Member
Just a note on a non 13/14 rear axle assembly. The 13/14 gt500 uses a much larger pinion bearing which can handle more torque compared to the older rears.

RedNightmare06

Established Member
I'm anxious to see if it works, hopefully... I hope they can do so without changing any other parameters.

This can be done using diablo instead of Sct.
Sct you have to start with a new tune and purchase a tune. Diablo you can pull your stock tune and modify just the gear ratio and reinstall the tune.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I did the same four years ago. I purchased and installed the same axle assembly that Ford used in the KR program (3.73's, bigger pinion bearing, etc). Then I recalibrated the speedometer with the ProCal tuner that came with my FRPP CAI kit. Trouble free.

RedNightmare06

Established Member
I did the same four years ago. I purchased and installed the same axle assembly that Ford used in the KR program (3.73's, bigger pinion bearing, etc). Then I recalibrated the speedometer with the ProCal tuner that came with my FRPP CAI kit. Trouble free.

The 13/14 gt500 has even a larger pinion bearing. Do some research you will see they are not even close.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I've done a little research in my day. I've held both in my hands. It's the older, early S197/SN95/Fox pinion bearings that weren't even close.

RedNightmare06

Established Member
I've done a little research in my day. I've held both in my hands. It's the older, early S197/SN95/Fox pinion bearings that weren't even close.

Well I guess you better go do some more research and go grab a 13/14 bearing. There definitely was another bearing upgrade which uses even a larger bearing than you are quoting. The 13/14 gt500 bearing is larger than any model year before.

RedNightmare06

Established Member
The 13/14 GT500's use the F150 pinion bearing. It is the same part number if ordered through Ford.

That is correct.
This bearing will not fit in the older units. The 13/14 case is machine larger to except this larger bearing.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Well I guess you better go do some more research and go grab a 13/14 bearing. There definitely was another bearing upgrade which uses even a larger bearing than you are quoting. The 13/14 gt500 bearing is larger than any model year before.

You didn't read what I wrote very carefully. I did not say that the pinion bearings were identical. They are close. It is the earlier pinion bearing, as I said before, that will exhibits a much greater difference in size.

RedNightmare06

Established Member
You didn't read what I wrote very carefully. I did not say that the pinion bearings were identical. They are close. It is the earlier pinion bearing, as I said before, that will exhibits a much greater difference in size.

I did, seems your missing it.
The 13/14 bearning is not even close. It is physically larger and nowhere near close as the same one used in prevoius gt500(like the one you installed in your car)
If you had a 13/14 bearning actaully in your hand you wouldn't be saying they are close.
They are about as close as a 4.6 is to a 5.8

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Comprehend much?

Instead of yet another wasteful effort, stick with what you think. You'll sleep better at night.

Short of quoting dimensions for the early S197 GT bearings (it would seem you are talking head bearing only as well), '07-'12 GT500, and now the '13/'14 bearings, words such as 'close' provide a rather subjective comparison at best - I readily admit that.

Suffice it to say that improvements have been made as the S197 has matured with respect to axle durability. The first improvement (of which I've been alluding to) with respect to the head bearing was done on GT500/Bullitt axle assemblies. Timken designed and sold to Ford a larger diameter head bearing which required a different race and shim than standard GT 8.8" axle assemblies. Per Timken's R&D people, they modified the taper and rib angle, treated the roller ends, and adjusted the crown on the raceways as well. This provided a "significant reduction in friction and an increase in load capacity." With the advent of the '13/'14 Ford decided to use a F150 'sized' pinion as well as the requisite bearing and race. The idea was to increase stiffness, provide reduced gear deflection, and wear. Yes, the late housing has been changed as well. The '13/'14 clearly represents the high point in S197 axle durability development (additional rosette comes to mind). Undoubtedly.

Short of dimensioning each (GT, '07-'12 GT500, '13/'14 GT500) which shows gains in sizes for each, I'll stick with close.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
This can be done using diablo instead of Sct.
Sct you have to start with a new tune and purchase a tune. Diablo you can pull your stock tune and modify just the gear ratio and reinstall the tune.

Not true. The SCT woks just fine without purchasing a tune.

Users who are viewing this thread