I have a 2013 Shelby GT500 with the Performance Package. The problem is that it's "stuck" in Sport mode.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had a set of Ford Racing 3.73s on the shelf in my garage for years. I want to install them, but can't bring myself to risk the dreaded gear WHINE. Mine remains whisper quiet, albeit with stock 3.31s, even after ~35 race passes.
I really want to drive a 13/14 with 3.73 gears.

LS WUT

Established Member
I've had a set of Ford Racing 3.73s on the shelf in my garage for years. I want to install them, but can't bring myself to risk the dreaded gear WHINE. Mine remains whisper quiet, albeit with stock 3.31s, even after ~35 race passes.
Maybe I’m the oddball, I get sad I don’t hear the supercharger whine. My Hellcat whines all the time, and I love it. So do my cobras. My GT500 is bone stock aside from Corsa Xtreme’s.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Maybe I’m the oddball, I get sad I don’t hear the supercharger whine. My Hellcat whines all the time, and I love it. So do my cobras. My GT500 is bone stock aside from Corsa Xtreme’s.
I also like supercharger whine. I do not, however, care for rear end gear whine, which is common after swapping out the factory 3.31s.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I also like supercharger whine. I do not, however, care for rear end gear whine, which is common after swapping out the factory 3.31s.
If done right it won’t.
My stock 3.31s were replaced by Ford after whining after the one drag strip outing at 600mi.
It’ll blow your mind how much gears transform this car. 3.31s at the stock trans ratios were for mpg and a 200mph run.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hellcats are definitely loud with blower whine stock. You should hear them with a Legmaker CAI (still have BTW).
If you did a pulley and CAI on the 500 it would change dramatically.
-J

LS WUT

Established Member
Hellcats are definitely loud with blower whine stock. You should hear them with a Legmaker CAI (still have BTW).
If you did a pulley and CAI on the 500 it would change dramatically.
-J
I can only imagine! Whenever I get back on my feet financially I’ll for sure love to have that legmaker from you!

That was the plan eventually for the GT500. I just kept having issues with mine. Rear end was replaced at 44k miles, clutch was replaced then too. Had more launches then NASA on it. Then IC pump after pump was going out. Turns out it was the harness, it’s got a burnt end on it.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

No risk it, no biscuit

I really want to drive a 13/14 with 3.73 gears.

Pretty sure where yours lacks in gear, it makes up for in other areas.
Unless your wanting to drive something slower and more docile?

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Come to the 3.73 gear dark side my friend........the unicorn will love them......lol

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting that I asked Lidio and he said unless I plan on dragging it pretty regularly he would stick with the 3.55?
What tire do you run?
Regardless of gear you want something sticky and in that case you’ll want 3.73<4.10
There is zero reason to go 3.55
I love lid and will see him soon but if you’re going into rear it’s 4.10s and Nitto DRs for street.
-J

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Interesting that I asked Lidio and he said unless I plan on dragging it pretty regularly he would stick with the 3.55?

In this instance, I would disagree with the tuner.
11-12 were optioned with 3:73's.
You don't have to to drag race to benefit from 3:73's at all.
I am sure w/e you get you will be happy though.

And MPSS were fine with those gears until I surpassed the 700 mark and wanted no nannies turned on. Than I went R888 outback

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
For mods, the Revan 13-6 kit was a super mod. It is very easy to install... If the kit is not available, you can buy the parts separately.
:iagree:

Van's site no longer shows the kits for our cars, but you can definitely piece one together. I did so years ago, collecting a JLT 127mm CF CAI, CFM Twin Jet 67mm TB, VMP 2.4" Upper Pulley, 90mm Idler, BPS Oversized & Ported Plenum/Elbow, and NGK TR7-IX plugs. I added a VMP Triple-Pass Dual-Fan H/E and Reische 170' Tstat because more cooling is better. A custom dyno tune from Elite Tuning and Performance in Littleton, CO brought it all together nicely...

Dyno (vs RPM) STAGE 4 Power Pack.jpg

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The 3.73's were a must, & it makes the driving experience so much more enjoyable. If installed by a shop that knows what they're doing, gear whine isn't a concern.
I wanted 3.90's, which Ford doesn't offer, & I thought 4.10's were a bit much for the street..

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
Although I don't have a mighty 13, I swapped gears. The shop that I had install the 3:73s has and does drag car work, no gear whine at all. He told me he's done hundreds of gear swaps in the last 25 years. Experience is key. You'll wonder why you hadn't done it sooner, you won't regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread