Which k member set up

98LazerRedCobra

lazer red
Established Member
Its been a while since i been on here..i wanna freshen up my front suspension on my 98 cobra which set up will be the smoothest ride possible i wanna put a tubular k member any suggestions

bumsoil

Established Member
my upr is great so far
got about 6k on it, open track, HORRID seattle roads and twisty roads very often too.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Tubular suspension and smooth ride don't necessarily go hand in hand. Regardless of what brand of k-member you install, you're going to experience an increase in NVH to some degree compared to the factory item.

I've had a PA-Racing k-member on my car, which is a drag race style that is much along the same design as a UPR and it worked ok. It created a lot of access to work on the engine. That's about the best thing I can say. I was never nuts about the fitment of it.

I now have a Maximum Motorsports k-member in the car and it was worth every penny I spent. It's WAY stronger than a UPR/drag-style k-member, the chasis stiffness was significantly improved compared to the drag-style I had, the fitment was absolutely perfect and I had zero issues squaring it, there is tons of room to work on the engine around it, it improves the suspension geometry which is something the other brands don't do (short of a Griggs k-member). Maximum Motorsports gets my vote.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Team Z.
Most tube K members want you to use coil overs, that being said, coil overs make lots of noise and don't make for a smooth ride.

98LazerRedCobra

lazer red
Established Member
Now i am stuck between the mm k member kit or just do a rebuild on the stock suspension with new stuff basicly a rebuild of the front end suspension i got some of those tokiyo shocks and not sure on the springs its got the caster plates but nothing compared to the mm ones can some one give me a list of what all i need buy i cant wait to waste the income tax check lol

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
coil overs make lots of noise and don't make for a smooth ride.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but over the course of thousands of miles I've honestly never heard a single noise out of my Maximum Motorsports coil-overs, and the car rides better than it did when it had a factory k-member with H&R SuperSports on it.

Buy a cheap set-up though, yeah, you're going to hear and feel them. I'd agree there.

Last edited:

98LazerRedCobra

lazer red
Established Member
I wanna post some pics of my car its been so long i posted any on here any one can tell me how to weird to ask but wat the heck....

BMR Tech

I have a Team Z K-Member on my 2004 Cobra.

I used QA1 Spring Perches, that I modified. OEM Style Coil Springs, with isolators.

Strange Single Adjustable Struts with STOCK oem upper strut mounts (NO CC Plates)

Energy Suspension A-Arm Bushings

Steeda X2 Ball Joints

QA1 Bumpsteer Kit

Energy Offset Rack Bushings

Love everything about it. People who ride in the car, cannot believe I have any suspension work done up front. I have had my fair share of experience with other K-Members available, and, frankly - I am NOT a fan.

I do really like the MM Set-up - had it on my previous Cobra. It simply wasn't needed on my current one.

FB_IMG_13797956119076641_zps45bda1fc.jpg

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
I thought I made it clear to them that I wanted to use coil overs. sort of like the pic above but with coil overs . I was trying to save a little money & hold off on the lower arms.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

I used some QA1 Perches / I did have to modify them. It took about 10 minutes with a grinder.

I don't listen to other companies. I work in this industry, and develop parts in this industry, I know how to make just about anything work.

I am extremely happy with the set-up I pictured above. :)

I'd bet you can get the QA1 perches for free, if you ask enough online. They come with the QA1 K-Member....and MANY people do not use the OEM arms when they grab a QA1 Piece....so there should be a ton of people who have the perches laying around, collecting dust.

Last edited:

Onslaught 001

Established Member
Can't go wrong with MM. Their k-member does allow you to re-use the stock a-arms.

Doing the bushings, ball joints, tie rods could also restore your ride quality to OEM or better.

BMR Tech

Not so sure about using OEM A-Arms with the MM Piece. I had it on my last Cobra, and, I recall looking at it - wondering why they did not allow to use OEM Arms. I used their A-Arms on mine...so I didn't even try to mount the OEM Pieces.

I am almost certain you have to use Tubular A-Arms and a Coilover Kit with the MM Set-up.

Actually, here is their description:

MM K-member for Mustang, 1996-2004

First thing listed:

"Items Needed for Install"

-Tubular Front Control Arms

bergz22

Established Member
I bought one of these $600 k members that use the stock a arms and spring perches. I messed with it for weeks, horrible fitment. The car also wouldn't settle down, looked like a 4x4. The worst part was the horrible customer service. The only answer I ever got was, "it worked on our car." Also wouldn't let me return it. I ended up pulling that back out of the car and went with MM. So out $600 there.

I will say the MM piece is beautiful, and A LOT stronger and higher quality than these others. Also there customer service is top notch, and if your having problems that can make a big difference.

bumsoil

Established Member
I used stock a arms with upr. I had to press Polly bushings in backwards to make it fit and hit shit with a mallet to make everything work. Not a happy with that part. I think I would have been happyer with the upr arms.

Users who are viewing this thread