Can anyone identify these pistons?

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I just bought a long block and the rotating assembly was said to be stock but after removing the oil pan it’s clearly not stock pistons. All the research I’ve done I’m leaning towards they are cast or hypereutectic and don’t want to melt or blow a ring land when I throw boost at them. Has stock crank and rods and arp hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_8508.png
    IMG_8508.png
    919 KB · Views: 108

holiks03cobra

Established Member
This is the car it came out of. San Antonio, TX area. If you were or know the owner and can give me some info on the motor I’d definitely appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_8511.png
    IMG_8511.png
    454.4 KB · Views: 38

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sometimes there's a part number inside the piston. Otherwise get a bore scope and check out the crowns.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
The worst part is that piston looks cast. OE pistons were forged and that diamond patter is typical of cast parts.
Yeah I’ve been doing a lot of research and not one forged piston has this marks. Blows my mind that someone would put cast pistons in a FI motor.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I didn't see the crack on my phone, but I see it on my monitor. At this point I would just bite the bullet and take the engine apart. At the very least you'll easily be able to point out you didn't get what you paid for and try to get your money back.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
I didn't see the crack on my phone, but I see it on my monitor. At this point I would just bite the bullet and take the engine apart. At the very least you'll easily be able to point out you didn't get what you paid for and try to get your money back.
This is not how things were supposed to go but that’s my luck. Just wanted a motor to drop in while I built my teksid block. Trying to work out a deal with them before doing anything else.

Rambro

Established Member
They told him that they were forged pistons. Those clearly are cast pistons. He should be refunded in full, but you know how these things go.

Rambro

Established Member
You really have to learn how to build one of these engines if you’re going to lean on it. There’s not one engine builder out there that I would feel comfortable giving my money to. And I’ve heard of horror stories about all of them basically, even the ones that are supposed to be the “best”.

holiks03cobra

Established Member
He says that’s not a crack, the motor would not have ran if it was. It’s a casting line and he stands by his statement that the pistons are Mahle powerpak. Is not trying to work with me or give me any type of refund.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Cast piston, and it can run with a crack in the block. The crack would get worse over time until it would "let go". I used to balance rotating assemblies for a shop and never had forged pistons with what I call casting marks, always smooth like the bottom one in Rambro's post.

Rambro

Established Member
"Ran when parked" is probably one of the biggest red flags out there.

Is it me or does the amount of scamming seem to be going up lately?
The wolves are always at your door. Like I said in a post above, there’s not one engine builder out there that I would feel comfortable rebuilding my engine. None. And you have to be extremely careful buying anything used. People are just waiting to steal your hard earned money.

Users who are viewing this thread