2003 Cobra Handling Vs Corvette C4/ZR-1

Lowflight

Established Member
I am thinking of buying a Cobra and getting out of my ZR-1 because I can't do my own wrenching and the car is 15 years old even though it has 38k miles. Anyway, how does a Cobra handle on a track vs a C4 Vette. I know ALL about the straightline perfomance.....but I don't want a poor handling car. Now...I did own a WS6 2002 Trans Am and although it was a very cool car...it handled like crap..the first time I took a curve that I take in my ZR-1 all the time...I almost killed myself...WHERE DOES THE COBRA FIT IN?

Thanks

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
you have to herd it, but it can be herded.

all mustangs are noseheavy underteering pigs. but they're FUN noseheavy understeering pigs.

its definately a different approach to taking a corner. i'd have to learn to drive all over again if i got in a vette and tried to do what i do.

Lowflight

Established Member
Thanks for the reply..keep them coming..stock vs stock

BTW: the LT5 32valve DOHC in my car weighs 150 plus puonds more than the LT1 etc...so I know about nose heavy :beer:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Lowflight said:
I am thinking of buying a Cobra and getting out of my ZR-1 because I can't do my own wrenching and the car is 15 years old even though it has 38k miles. Anyway, how does a Cobra handle on a track vs a C4 Vette. I know ALL about the straightline perfomance.....but I don't want a poor handling car. Now...I did own a WS6 2002 Trans Am and although it was a very cool car...it handled like crap..the first time I took a curve that I take in my ZR-1 all the time...I almost killed myself...WHERE DOES THE COBRA FIT IN?

Thanks

ZR-1s are my all time favorite Vettes. Got any pics? :-D

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I have a 92 LT1 with ZO7 autocross setup (alot of ZR1 parts and brakes) and a 2003 Cobra. The Cobra is more fun to autocross than the Vette because of the extra power (even Cobra vs. ZR1) and it's easier to put down power and control the oversteer without snapping in the Cobra (not sure why but probably design of IRS). The Cobra does need more trail braking than the Vette to get the front end started in a turn. The Cobra's shocks are better, with less bobbing than the Vette- it actually does better on the bumps. I'm not sure which is better in terms of ultimate adhesion (they both terminally understeer). The one area where the Vette is better is braking-- the Cobra really nose dives more than the Vette (high center of gravity). All this is when the car is really pushed, say at 9/10ths. At regular quick road speeds the Vette feels a little more lively and responsive.

If you get a Cobra make sure to add sub frame connectors- it makes a huge difference at 9/10ths and above. With SFC's, my Cobra's chassis is much stiffer and therefore a little more precise in steering than the LT1.

Lowflight

Established Member
That is what I thought...thanks for the info..here are a few pics.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

BiZ

Established Member
The ZR-1 will handle better than the Cobra. Don't get me wrong, for a 3700lb car the Cobra isn't that bad. It's the 57/43 weight distribution that is killing it. I had a much easier time hooking my old ZR-1 on the street. Now that the Cobra has some mods I need drag radials to get any traction in the first two gears. The Cobra also kicks to the right a whole lot more that the Z did. And there was no wheel hop in the Z. Before I did the mods to my Cobra I would get some nasty wheelhop. Now that the car has sub frame connecters, been lowered, and has about 100 more RWHP wheel hop is not an issue. But traction is.

Don't sell the Z to get a Cobra. I regret selling mine. I love the Cobra, but the ZR-1 is a very special car.

TTA89

Established Member
Stock they are ok but with 1500 bucks worth of suspension upgrades they handle great and still retain great street manners. I have yet to get beat by a Vette at an Auto X, actually I haven't been beaten by anything other than another Cobra. Vettes, F-bodys, M3s, WRXs, even wasted a new Lotus Elise with an SCCA Champ driving it. :)

Lowflight

Established Member
BiZ said:
The ZR-1 will handle better than the Cobra. Don't get me wrong, for a 3700lb car the Cobra isn't that bad. It's the 57/43 weight distribution that is killing it. I had a much easier time hooking my old ZR-1 on the street. Now that the Cobra has some mods I need drag radials to get any traction in the first two gears. The Cobra also kicks to the right a whole lot more that the Z did. And there was no wheel hop in the Z. Before I did the mods to my Cobra I would get some nasty wheelhop. Now that the car has sub frame connecters, been lowered, and has about 100 more RWHP wheel hop is not an issue. But traction is.

Don't sell the Z to get a Cobra. I regret selling mine. I love the Cobra, but the ZR-1 is a very special car.

Hey Biz...yep I don't want to sell the Z, but I just had to drop $5k on it (none of which was mods..but rather blown headgasket and a few other things) and I have no idea how to work on it. Plus, the closest guy I trust to work on it is Mike Ebert in Slidell LA (5.5 hours away). I want to keep it, but after being without it for 3 months...all I get is pissed off at that 15 year old car. I never go to the track or dragstrip...I just play around on backroads and think the Cobra will be enough for light streetplay and cruising. The damn Z is just unreliable as a mofo. It spends more time in the shop than on the road.

Silverboost

Established Member
i would keep the Corvette....I wouldn't do whole lot of mods to it for long term value purposes...but I would throw a nice shot of nitrous on it...

2814v

Established Member
I just got my ZR1 a few months ago. I am learning to wrench on it, so far I have replaced my starter, tune up and vac. lines. If you can, keep the Z and add a cobra. Seeing my black ZR1 and my white 03 cobra parked next to each other in my garage is an awsome site.

Lowflight

Established Member
SublimeRT said:
Oh man that is sweet. Are they really as unreliable as I've heard though?

It is mainly AGE that is killing it. Also, if you baby it for years...carbon buildup is a problem and can cause detonation. The engine itslef is bulletproof, but the accesories are all GM and bound to fail. The car has 16 injectors that cost $1100 to replace. It is not something you can drive for 6 months every weekend and not have to spend a few thousand on fixing it...I never have any money for mods. The B&B is on there because my original exhaust was rusting at the welds at the resonator.

The main thing is AGE..it is a 15 year old car and is showing it. Other than that...I would keep it.

2814v

Established Member
Lowflight is right 15 years is alot for a car, age catches up and parts have to be replaced. Most ZR1's are owned by gear heads and are well taken care of, but driven hard like they were ment to be. They are a rare car so some parts are hard to find and are pricey. But there is a large following and support group at a few corvette site's. Thats were I learned to do the work I have done on mine. Owning a ZR1 is like owning a classic muscle car, you will have to work on it from time to time. I am not a corvette guy and dont no how long I will keep it, If I had to chose between it and the 03 I'd keep my snake. But it is a very fun car and boy dose it surprise uninformed drivers when they think they are going to smack down another C-4 vette.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
If I'm not correct, GM did not train their techs to work on that engine. When you had a warranty problem, they installed a new engine and sent the old one back to Mercury Marine...who built it. I have a friend who actually found and bought a complete brand new engine assy and keeps it in his garage for when his original finally goes bye bye. But you're right..it's 15 years old and that is getting up there for frogs. But it's so rare! I would hate to have to part with it.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
My car has the Eibach Sportline spring kit and the car feels as though it rides on rails. Subframing is coming in soon. I cant imagine what the car will handle like them. :banana:

Lowflight

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
If I'm not correct, GM did not train their techs to work on that engine. When you had a warranty problem, they installed a new engine and sent the old one back to Mercury Marine...who built it. I have a friend who actually found and bought a complete brand new engine assy and keeps it in his garage for when his original finally goes bye bye. But you're right..it's 15 years old and that is getting up there for frogs. But it's so rare! I would hate to have to part with it.

gm techs were trained (you can get training videos on ebay at times). the car is 80% regular c4 with every option. i would love to keep it, but I hate spending money on repair rather than mods. plus, i have been without the car since early november...i wish i could have both, but the wife won't let me. I would park the z and enjoy the svt.

Users who are viewing this thread