GT500 vs Roush 427

Jack Burton

Established Member
No, this is not a racing thread. I don't really care of who would win in the 1/4 mile or at the track. The car I'm looking to buy is going to be a DD. I want something that drives normal in traffic, but is an animal when it hits the boost. I live in FL, so curvy roads aren't very frequent. So far, I'm leaning towards a GT500. I think the GT500 has a meaner looking grill, and I just think it's a cool car. Don't get me wrong, the Roush 427 is a nasty mustang for sure. What are your thoughts, opinions, or experiences.:D

ZXMustang

Banned
GT500. I love the factory warranty and knowing that this car was tested at length by Ford engineers to be durable and reliable at its stock setup. Also, it has the ability to far exceed the roush in every way for pennies on the dollar and stock to stock its almost as expensive as the GT500. Might as well get the shelby. But for the record, the 2010 roush cars are Soooo HOTT!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
GT500 has more power in a straight line. an a stronger engine

c6vette

Established Member
I struggled with this before I bought my Shelby. The deciding factor for me was depreciation. Used Roush cars aren't worth anything. Of course if you're buying used, that's a different matter altogether...

What will the new Roush cars look like with the new v8????

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Roush...I'd never consider one.

jaystang

Established Member
I struggled with this before I bought my Shelby. The deciding factor for me was depreciation. Used Roush cars aren't worth anything. Of course if you're buying used, that's a different matter altogether...

What will the new Roush cars look like with the new v8????

I agree! When I purchased my GT500 I had an opportunity to pick a 2010 Roush at a killer deal.

If I purchased the Roush, after a year or so I'd be stuck with an upgrade Mustang GT. Talk about depreciation...it's ridiculous.

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
I was in the same boat.

However, I found a few Saleen Extremes 2006-7 models with less than 5,000 miles on them for 38-39K. That was the only car I would considered worthy of the GT500. Built motor, 6 speed transmission and 550 hp!

Standard Saleen supercharged and roushes supercharged, are simple mustang gt's with body kits and a blower. The motor and transmission are still standard issue with no upgrades. So boosting more than the factory blower, would equal disaster. History has always shown saleens and roushes to not be worth much resale value after a few years. To compare, price out a roush or saleen from 2004, mileage and such and find a compariable cobra, and you'll see the difference.

GT500 vs Saleen - Roush standard supercharged cars, the GT500 stands above them.

Now the elite Saleens and Roushes, are going to put up a good fight. However, I'm sure those have a much higher retail than a standard GT500.

Last edited:

bpmurr

Established Member
I was in the same boat.

However, I found a few Saleen Extremes 2006-7 models with less than 5,000 miles on them for 38-39K. That was the only car I would considered worthy of the GT500. Built motor, 6 speed transmission and 550 hp!

Standard Saleen supercharged and roushes supercharged, are simple mustang gt's with body kits and a blower. The motor and transmission are still standard issue with no upgrades. So boosting more than the factory blower, would equal disaster. History has always shown saleens and roushes to not be worth much resale value after a few years. To compare, price out a roush or saleen from 2004, mileage and such and find a compariable cobra, and you'll see the difference.

GT500 vs Saleen - Roush standard supercharged cars, the GT500 stands above them.

Now the elite Saleens and Roushes, are going to put up a good fight. However, I'm sure those have a much higher retail than a standard GT500.

I drove a 2006 S281 Extreme all summer during 08. It was a bad ass car. However, it isn't anywhere as nice as my 2010 GT500.

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
I sell both, own a Roush 427R as a DD, Roush handles great...GT500 is also nice, but
handling is not quite there, yet. Tough call, each car is similiar in price, Roush much
lower production numbers, and I have 25,000 miles virtually trouble free, even took
it to Pocono road course day.

chuckstang

Established Member
Roush and Saleen cars have terrible resale value despite how few they build.

But many do not realize, Roush basically does all the Work for Ford as far as testing out engine goes. Since Saleen is no more, Roush is all that is left that still builds and works hand in hand with SVT and Shelby so all you haters out there better sell your GT500 because Jack Roush has had more input in that car that Mr. Shelby

a_gorman

Established Member
I essentially have booth, a 2009 GT500 and a 2006 Roushcharged GT with complete suspension, brakes and exhaust up grades; take it from me dollar for dollar the Shelby is a better car because it has a lot more potential. The Roush is an absolute blast to drive but unless you plan on taking her out to the track there really isn't much point. Don't get me wrong I love booth my cars but they both serve their purpose and as far as a DD the Shelby is a far better idea IMO

mullens

Established Member

But many do not realize, Roush basically does all the Work for Ford as far as testing out engine goes. Since Saleen is no more, Roush is all that is left that still builds and works hand in hand with SVT and Shelby so all you haters out there better sell your GT500 because Jack Roush has had more input in that car that Mr. Shelby
Yes our TVS was developed by Roush. My new FRPP kit has a Roush license number on it.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Haters? :??::??::??:

We were asked our opinion and provided such. Plus, resale isn't a matter of "hating" but simple fact.

Last edited:

RSH427R

Established Member

And engineered the TVS.

I have owed a 427R, currently own a Stage 2, and a GT 500. Great cars with the same warranty as Ford. I would look at the new Stage 3 or Hammer. No stock GT 500 will touch either of those cars.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
A Stage 3 Roush starts at $60K....at that price, it should perform better than a stock GT500. I mean, c'mon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread