Project Cars - Getting harder to justify?

Sizeth3

Established Member
It used to be, if you wanted a fast car and you were on a budget, you built a car yourself. Bought a good roller, did engine, transmission, rearend, paint, interior, wheels, tires and had something respectable.

Has that era ended? Other than the love of working on a hobby, how can people financially justify building a project car (for example a Fox Mustang or Iroc Camaro) vs buying a 4-5 year old 5.0 or SS Camaro.

Low KBB private party on a 2011 5.0 is in the mid/high teens now. Finance that at 3%, you could have a finished, 400+ horsepower, 6 speed manual, EFI, good fuel economy, painted, finished interior, etc car that could be easily daily driven. You could finance that for like $250 a month. When I had my last Camaro, which I never finished, I was probably spending $400-$500 a month the entire time I owned that car. Saving up for paint, rebuilding motor, fixing what broke, etc.

This came up on another forum, basically I am going back and forth with someone who is saying for $XX,XXX I could build a much better car than that. I am starting to think, could you really? You could get your tune that perfect, with all brand new or nearly brand new parts, and an interior, and painted with 19 or 20" wheels/tires? Pass emissions if you live in a state/county that requires it? All the cool track apps new cars have? Reliable enough to drive it across the country? I added the parts up in my first project Camaro, let's put it this way, when I sold them on ebay, I used that for a down payment on current my house lol.

Thoughts? Right now, you can buy a Challenger Scat Pack for under $40k off the showroom floor. It has almost 500 hp, an 8 speed transmission, launch control, brand new everything. Never thought we would see a day like this.

5lho

Established Member
It used to be, if you wanted a fast car and you were on a budget, you built a car yourself. Bought a good roller, did engine, transmission, rearend, paint, interior, wheels, tires and had something respectable.

Has that era ended? Other than the love of working on a hobby, how can people financially justify building a project car (for example a Fox Mustang or Iroc Camaro) vs buying a 4-5 year old 5.0 or SS Camaro.

Low KBB private party on a 2011 5.0 is in the mid/high teens now. Finance that at 3%, you could have a finished, 400+ horsepower, 6 speed manual, EFI, good fuel economy, painted, finished interior, etc car that could be easily daily driven. You could finance that for like $250 a month. When I had my last Camaro, which I never finished, I was probably spending $400-$500 a month the entire time I owned that car. Saving up for paint, rebuilding motor, fixing what broke, etc.

This came up on another forum, basically I am going back and forth with someone who is saying for $XX,XXX I could build a much better car than that. I am starting to think, could you really? You could get your tune that perfect, with all brand new or nearly brand new parts, and an interior, and painted with 19 or 20" wheels/tires? Pass emissions if you live in a state/county that requires it? All the cool track apps new cars have? Reliable enough to drive it across the country? I added the parts up in my first project Camaro, let's put it this way, when I sold them on ebay, I used that for a down payment on current my house lol.

Thoughts? Right now, you can buy a Challenger Scat Pack for under $40k off the showroom floor. It has almost 500 hp, an 8 speed transmission, launch control, brand new everything. Never thought we would see a day like this.

Yes, honestly, back when cars were slow you had to build fast and now you don't. It's that simple. Buying fast has always been cheaper than building fast but, projects allowed you to spread the cost out over a longer period. And when the only cars with any real guts had high 5 or 6 figure price tags, this made sense.

These are the good old days, in case no one noticed. I've been in this game for over 30 years and what you get today for your money is like no other time in history.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You see decent edge body rollers pop up for $2,000. Then it is a matter of patience to find motor, blower and tranny for a good price. If you get a shop involved, keeping it cheap gets tough. If you are in a hurry, price gets hard to control.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Not everyone has the same income and 400-500 HP is not even remotely fast in today's world. It costs more to go "fast" by today's standards. It's that simple.

DaBigBone

Established Member
If your goal is X amount of power for X dollars, then yes they're fading out. The best part about project cars is the experience and the satisfaction of doing the work yourself.

Sizeth3

Established Member
Yes, honestly, back when cars were slow you had to build fast and now you don't. It's that simple. Buying fast has always been cheaper than building fast but, projects allowed you to spread the cost out over a longer period. And when the only cars with any real guts had high 5 or 6 figure price tags, this made sense.

These are the good old days, in case no one noticed. I've been in this game for over 30 years and what you get today for your money is like no other time in history.

Agreed, I also agree that the bar has been raised. But the bar has been raised because we have legitimate 10, 11, and 12 second cars that the average Joe can afford right now. My coworker just bought a 707 horsepower Hellcat, crazy :).

Rct851

Established Member
My buddies dad bought a hellkitty... Had a buddy drive it off the lot because he has never had a manual tranny lol

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
I just came from buying a 2000 GT roller, and you're right. I was spending $600-900 a month on pieces to make it a competent track car. Yes, it eventually became a great car on the track, but by that point it wasn't drivable on the street and I had so much money in it if I were to sell it would id get about 10 cents on the dollar. Had to completely strip the car to the frame to get my money out of it in order to buy my coyote.

Now I have a car that I can daily and with a much shortler list of mods track as well. And all of its painted panels match!

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
I had just a 10-point caged (minus knee bar) 2000GT shell with a sparco circuit and harness left, on jack stands. What I sold it for was basically the price of the Sparco seat and harness.

OmGdnr4.jpg

7ajUmf8.jpg

Last edited:

MKMotorsport

Established Member
Era not ended. I'm dumping a crate coyote in my fox body tbird. My version of it anyway....I've had the car since I've been 18, I'm more than twice that now ;)

CPRsm

Not everyone has the same income and 400-500 HP is not even remotely fast in today's world. It costs more to go "fast" by today's standards. It's that simple.

Not only that, but building an entire car is draining, and depressing. Taking a nice car, and doing chunks at a time and still being able to drive it between projects keeps the motivation up. The gratification of actually finishing a project really helps push the car along.

Turd Fergusen

Established Member
I'm probably doing it all wrong lol

I fell into the habit of buying a new car, make payments, pay for mods and 5-6yrs into it, buy another and start the process all over.

Guess thats why I never have money

Vert

Established Member
To me it's not about the money, but it's the satisfaction to say I built that with my own hands. That's why it's a hobby.

Rct851

Established Member
I'm probably doing it all wrong lol

I fell into the habit of buying a new car, make payments, pay for mods and 5-6yrs into it, buy another and start the process all over.

Guess thats why I never have money
You and me both. Biggest mistake was buying a brand new gt... When I see used ones going for 18k I want to cry

Bgoins

Established Member
I had a 93 5 speed LX 5.0 with minor bolt ons. It was slow but fun and felt good that I had done a lot of the work on it. After I explained to my wife how much I wanted to spend on it she suggested I just get a new one that I wouldn't have to work on. I love my 13 GT auto but frequently miss my creaking, slow, AC-less fox body because it had so much character and I could do a lot of the work myself. My 13 is my DD and honestly I'm afraid to work on it. This hobby is usually gonna be a money losing proposition but I feel it's about smiles per dollar, however that works out for you.

Mr.Window

Woodward ave Hellcat killer
Established Member
Once I realized that no amount of dollars would make my 91 twin turbo fox a 2013 5.0, it was a wrap.

One ET Drag runs roughly $200.00 which could represent 1% of the price of a used 2013, that brought 99 things to mind I could have bought that would get me zero% closer to having a 400whp, recaro/nav, 20mpg, 8,000rpm swangin, project killer.

Users who are viewing this thread