Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Official Mustang GT 5.0 UOA thread

We have been doing this in the GT500 section for quite a while now, and I'm seeking interest in the Coyote/Roadrunner areas of the forum. For those who do not know, it's a Used Oil Analysis thread to show trends in wear patterns to help owners determine what is normal, and what isn't. This is a great way to monitor your engine's wear patterns over time, and to show you how well the oil you choose is performing in your engine.

Here is the Excel spreadsheet I have created that is Coyote exclusive.

GTUOA_zpspjhcphjd.jpg

If anyone needs to know where to get oil testing, visit one of the website links below. Please, if you have your oil tested with Blackstone....opt for the extra $10.00 to have TBN tested. OAI provides TBN testing included with the price. OAI also tests for oxidation (Blackstone does not). Both labs will yield very close consistent results.

Blackstone - will cost $25.00 for basic test, $35.00 with TBN, plus the cost of shipping ($1.90 USPS)

OAI testing kits UPS prepaid - will cost $32.90 - Amsoil preferred customers get this test for $27.00

Latest Amsoil recommendations as of May 2017

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is the oil only has to be changed once a year or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. Amsoil AZF 0W-40 (Challenger Hellcat and Nissan GTR) and AMR 5W-50 (Ford Mustang) are two new formulations created for powerful street cars.

8 quart fill – GT
8.5 quart fill – Boss 302 and Track Pack GT

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your engine is 100% internally stock in Naturally Aspirated form, regardless of external simple bolt on mods, driven daily in all climates, use this. *Mustang GT only* previously, the old list recommended formulations in the 0W-30 to 10W-30 range for this engine. However, after testing in my personal 2014 Mustang GT with a stock engine, 5W-20 Signature Series is a contender. Using previous recommendations is OK, but will now use AZF 0W-40 as the blanket for most application requirements beyond 5W-20 for simplicity.

Amsoil AZF 0W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT and you do not attend HPDE events, use this. Some people ask me if it’s OK to use this at the HPDE. If you plan to attend one event a year and are not driving the car to the edge of cooling limits, it’s acceptable. Schedule the annual oil change to happen right before the event to insure the lubricant is fresh. However, if you are an experienced HPDE track person, 5W-50 may be better suited for you. See the recommendation for 5W-50.

Amsoil AMR 5W-50 - If your street car has a single/twin turbo or supercharger making a lot of power on pump gas or with advanced timing using E85 (or) If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you HPDE or race your car in competition for extended sessions….use this. *Not optimal for short trip, grocery getting, daily driven street duties. If you have a turbo or supercharged car that is driven daily, isn’t raced frequently, used on the streets for occasional wide open throttle bursts, Amsoil AZF 0W-40 is a better choice.*

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market for the Coyote/Roadrunner. Royal Purple is the same filter, part # 20-500. Purolator's new Boss series oil filters use the same technology. Part # PBL22500

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, or you are experiencing poor shifting.

If you have the Auto 6 speed, this stuff will survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 3 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

Amsoil Fuel Stabilizer - Use 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons of gasoline when storing your car in the winter.

Bottle Hand Pump - makes pumping new fluid into the transmission and rear differential very easy.

UOA testing kit - use to determine if you have fuel dilution issues with E85 or to insure your engine is doing well with Amsoil on extended drain intervals.

Last thing, do NOT pay retail for Amsoil...EVER! This is how to buy all Amsoil products at wholesale cost (saves 25% off retail).

Preferred Customer

Troy

Last edited:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
After reading that thread I'm considering switching to amsoil. I currently have 5w20 motorcraft. What would you recommend for someone who lives in the south where it can get as hot as 110 in the summer and as cold as 25 in the winter? 10w30?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
After reading that thread I'm considering switching to amsoil. I currently have 5w20 motorcraft. What would you recommend for someone who lives in the south where it can get as hot as 110 in the summer and as cold as 25 in the winter? 10w30?

I'm a big believer in the use of true synthetic 10W-30 lubricants year round in the southern Unites States. It has the BEST shear stability, the lowest NOACK volatility, yet still flows very well in temps around 32*F. You might have to tolerate sub 32*F weather maybe 3-4 weeks out of the year.

I trust Amsoil ATM 10W-30 in my Florida street driven GT500 year round.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Beast for the 5.0 non boss guys doesn't amsoil make 5w-20 an a 5w-30?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I would like to know if the tests reveal that the factory is running an additive in the 12+ Coyote. Would this analysis procedure pick this up?

sloppymax

Established Member
This one was posted on AFM and IS NOT mine. Thought it would be helpful since it is the factory fill with almost 10k miles and might indicate what type of additive it might have. Credit to Crazy001.

Untitled-17-1.jpg

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Beast for the 5.0 non boss guys doesn't amsoil make 5w-20 an a 5w-30?

They sure do. In Amsoil's top tier formulations they have

0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30

All five formulations only use true synthetic base stocks, not refined petroleum, and all have the same robust additive package.

I would like to know if the tests reveal that the factory is running an additive in the 12+ Coyote. Would this analysis procedure pick this up?

If the additive was ZDDP, yes it would.

If it's a friction modifier, or something organic, no...the UOA will not show it. I see that this is still a topic of interest for the new Coyote engines due to the ticking issues.

Although, if you look at the UOA sample Sloppymax provided, it shows a high level of Sodium. This means either coolant is leaking internal into the engine oil, or it's an additive of the oil itself. Virgin samples of Motorcraft 5W-20 has Sodium ppm about 0-1. I wonder if this is the mystery additive?

Conoco Phillips formulates this lubricant for Ford. Factory Honda 5W-20 oil VOAs look almost identical to Motorcraft 5W-20. Guess Conoco Phillips uses the same formulation for both manufacturers.

This one was posted on AFM and IS NOT mine. Thought it would be helpful since it is the factory fill with almost 10k miles and might indicate what type of additive it might have. Credit to Crazy001.

Untitled-17-1.jpg

Good find Sloppymax! Thanks a million...it has been added to the excel chart.

Last edited:

MYFSTSVT99L

Ingot 2012
Established Member
I see where a lot of people don't change their oil in these new motors till almost 10000 miles, my question is why? I have always changed at or around 4000 on previous cars/trucks. On my previous Trailblazer SS which I added a TVS 1900 I always changed the oil between 3500-4000 miles, and always used Mobil 1 5w-30. I also was aware of oiling issues in the AWD TBSS and made sure to always add an extra 1/2 quart. Is there oiling issues with the 5.0 or is it just an additive that Ford uses that when people change their oil and don't add back to the 5.0 motor that seems to make a problem? Thanks for any input.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The reason for extended oil changes in the new 5.0 engine is due to the 8 quart sump of the oil pan. The 1.5-2 extra quarts allows for a longer oil change interval, even with cheaper fluids. This is why Ford knows their semi-syn 5W-20 lubricant can achieve a max interval of 10,000 miles.

About the additive, that's still unknown to me. I need more samples to compare and show trends.

MYFSTSVT99L

Ingot 2012
Established Member
Well I'll be changing mine at 5000, there is no way I'll allow any gas car of mine to go 10000 miles without an oil change. Thanks for the info and when I change mine I'll try and get it sent off and checked.

najay

Established Member
2012 Boss 302 2155 first oil change

Attached is my first UOA. I changed the oil at 2300 miles. I drive this car very hard.

BOSS 302 UOA

I changed the oil to Amsoil 10w40, per troy's recommendations.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Another sample has been received, and the results are on par with what is expected from Motorcraft 5W-50.

8cf51308.jpg

The owner had some concerns, so I will address them here as well.

najay said:
I just got back the UOA for my boss 302. I drive this car very hard.

The oxidation was flagged extremely high. I will do a little research and see what that means. I replaced it with Amsoil 10W-40.

and here was my reply.

UnleashedBeast said:
Thank you for the UOA, and please....when the sample is ready for 10W-40, I hope to see that one as well. I will be adding this to the UOA Boss tracking chart to show trends.

Ignore Oxidation. Polaris Labs hasn't been showing consistency on this test in the GT500 samples.

Oxidation is talking about the base stock fluid "rusting". Yes, fluids can rust too. It's the degrading of the base stock. To get an accurate test, the machine must first be calibrated with a virgin sample of the same lubricant.

Viscosity is right on par for how MC 5W-50 shears, no shock there. That's normal.

Silicon is also normal for the first sample. It's just left over residuals from the assembly process. The next sample, you will see a decrease here. GT500 engines have 250-300 ppm in the OEM fill. That tells me the assemble process is cleaner for the Roadrunner, or the materials used as sealants in the GT500 engine are more silicone plentiful, or more cast parts somewhere.

Thanks again for the sample.

Troy

Last edited:

JDos1

Established Member
Alright guys, Beast put a good bit of effort into this to give us a valuable resource. Let's revive this idea.

Here's my latest two UOA's. CAT keeps track with previous samples too so here's my two UOA's on my '11 GT.
Oldest UOA is with Amsoil OE Series 5w-20 and the newest is with Amsoil Signature Series 10w-30.

SCAN0022-1.jpg

Last edited:

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
Nice results.
I have a 2013 GT. First oil change was at 4500 miles and went with mobile 1 5w-30. Was this a good choice? I plan to send a sample in next change. Adding a tvs pd soon and want to keep maintenance best I can. Any suggestions welcome.

Notice you're from Greenville...I live in Seneca.

Users who are viewing this thread