#8 explained a little better:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun@AED

Just a little more info (nothing too technical) on what's going on these days with regards to Coyote engine failures.

Those engine builders who have seen these kind of engine failures are keenly aware the problem is a LEAN condition at WOT. This is evident by the type of piston damage seen. Spark knock creates a sharp break in the piston, lean conditions melt the piston.

Ford has adopted what others in the industry have used for quite a while. Lean A/F to create a 'broader' torque curve.

Below is a dynograph of an Twin Turbo Mercedes E63 on both the Stock tune and aftermarket.
Note the flat TQ curve of the stock tune and check out the crazy lean Air Fuel!
Mercedes-CLS63-AMG-Twin-Turbo-Dyno2.jpg

This is the EXACT same thing Ford programed into the Copperhead Coyote/Roadrunner ECU's.

In our case it's triggered by the Torque Calculations. As we reach the TQ limits in the tune, the ECU pulls fuel to create a 'broad' torque curve.

How do they not blow up the engines you may wonder?
Exhaust temps are monitored and in the case of our Fords, Cat enrichment is initiated at a given exhaust temp to combat Cat failure.

Below is a screenshot of a STOCK 2012 5.0 with this condition in full view:
Yellow line is COMMANDED Lambda and as it approaches 1.0 (14.1 Air Fuel) Fueling enrichment kicks in to save the Cats from damage (inadvertently saving the motor as well).
So why don't we see this on a chassis dyno? Check out the time it took for the lean condition to start....when was the last time you saw a WOT dyno run last 15+ seconds?

Stock50LogSnapshot.gif

AED and their tuning partners found this late last year (Dec 2011). Once the offending Tune parameter was found we started testing on my own 5.0 with E85 in the tank to insure against any potential engine damage. Compression tests were done pre and post fix as well.
Further investigation showed more ways in which this lean WOT condition was triggered, but instead of investigating each one individually we found the commanded fueling for these conditions and modified it correctly.

As of Jan 2012 ALL AED tunes have this 'fix', as well as our tuning partners/buddies and ANY tuner that has called me and requested this information.
Of the hundreds of 5.0 tunes sent out between all of these tuners, not ONE has had an engine failure since the 'fix' has been implemented.

Some of my tuning partners have requested I refrain from posting specific technical data on these public message boards, but I prefer to have a more informed customer base.

Last edited:

grabber blue gt

Established Member
Hell yeah shaun!!! This is why you tune my car!!

Cold hard info and facts wins my business over marketing gimmicks.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Good write up Shaun. Has there been any failures for cyl #8 on a n/a e85 car?

Nice to see info on this. Being in a dealer we don't see the side of this usually. Due to the car already having the concern of a #8 failure.

-Thomas

D.T.R

Established Member
Great news man. Glad you basically figured out this whole culprit about #8 and pretty much put it to rest.

calgarybandit

Established Member
This is why I stick with AED\Shaun and you cannot forget to mention his dedication and A++++ customer service :rockon:this is an art that allot of companies have lost over the years.

KidMoney

Established Member
That Mercedes made a bunch of power. Lol.

On a serious note, it's good to see a company looking out for customers, even if it means helping the competition.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Just a little more info (nothing too technical) on what's going on these days with regards to Coyote engine failures.

Those engine builders who have seen these kind of engine failures are keenly aware the problem is a LEAN condition at WOT. This is evident by the type of piston damage seen. Spark knock creates a sharp break in the piston, lean conditions melt the piston.

Ford has adopted what others in the industry have used for quite a while. Lean A/F to create a 'broader' torque curve.

Below is a dynograph of an Twin Turbo Mercedes E63 on both the Stock tune and aftermarket.
Note the flat TQ curve of the stock tune and check out the crazy lean Air Fuel!
Mercedes-CLS63-AMG-Twin-Turbo-Dyno2.jpg

This is the EXACT same thing Ford programed into the Copperhead Coyote/Roadrunner ECU's.

In our case it's triggered by the Torque Calculations. As we reach the TQ limits in the tune, the ECU pulls fuel to create a 'broad' torque curve.

How do they not blow up the engines you may wonder?
Exhaust temps are monitored and in the case of our Fords, Cat enrichment is initiated at a given exhaust temp to combat Cat failure.

Below is a screenshot of a STOCK 2012 5.0 with this condition in full view:
Yellow line is COMMANDED Lambda and as it approaches 1.0 (14.1 Air Fuel) Fueling enrichment kicks in to save the Cats from damage (inadvertently saving the motor as well).
So why don't we see this on a chassis dyno? Check out the time it took for the lean condition to start....when was the last time you saw a WOT dyno run last 15+ seconds?

Stock50LogSnapshot.gif

AED and their tuning partners found this late last year (Dec 2011). Once the offending Tune parameter was found we started testing on my own 5.0 with E85 in the tank to insure against any potential engine damage. Compression tests were done pre and post fix as well.
Further investigation showed more ways in which this lean WOT condition was triggered, but instead of investigating each one individually we found the commanded fueling for these conditions and modified it correctly.

As of Jan 2012 ALL AED tunes have this 'fix', as well as our tuning partners/buddies and ANY tuner that has called me and requested this information.
Of the hundreds of 5.0 tunes sent out between all of these tuners, not ONE has had an engine failure since the 'fix' has been implemented.

Some of my tuning partners have requested I refrain from posting specific technical data on these public message boards, but I prefer to have a more informed customer base.

and they wonder why your name comes up with most of the "I CANT WAIT FOR AN AED TUNE" or "MY TUNE ROCKS"

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
Shaun, I wish your partner that tuned mine would take more credit(you know who I'm talking about)...my car runs great! Appreciate you and your partners customer service. Top knotch!

Shaun@AED

Shaun, I wish your partner that tuned mine would take more credit(you know who I'm talking about)...my car runs great! Appreciate you and your partners customer service. Top knotch!

Give credit where it is due!

Anybody in the NY area Adam at Pops racing can hook you up with whatever you need! He is a top notch tuner and is the guy responsible for helping me take AED tuning to the 'next level'. In return for his support, I fully support Pops Racing.

turd burglar

Established Member
Explains why a lot of boosted guys aren't blowin. Meth along with running a bit richer for safety is what was saving their asses eh?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Give credit where it is due!

Anybody in the NY area Adam at Pops racing can hook you up with whatever you need! He is a top notch tuner and is the guy responsible for helping me take AED tuning to the 'next level'. In return for his support, I fully support Pops Racing.

Adam is excellent. I promised him I would convert my 408 to injection just to torture him some more. LOL.

Mike

2011roush

Established Member
Very nice!!! It's nice to finally get some data to back up the failures.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Dear mods,

PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY! That way we dont have 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 threads asking about #8 failures and why they happen, if the tune is to blame, and how to fix them, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread