shorty headers vs longtube

Mikegee1028

Established Member
Meh honestly If I had a chance to do it over I'd just go with a catless h pipe and leave the stock headers, they make a slight difference but the rough idle becomes annoying as ****.

Wikkd03

Established Member
I was wondering if the aftermarket shorties added any decent numbers

acrbill

Established Member
Of late there seems to be some dyno sheets showing up with big increases from long tubes. It seems like long tubes are pushing people into the 44x WHP range.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I see people argue over this all the time. I have never seen a dyno done with both and then compared. Does anyone have a comparison like this to show?

We just did 2 different test with before and after with Kooks and Pypes and both showed 40+rwhp increases. Read them here

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...2013-rtr-testing-pypes-headers-w-results.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ing-kooks-longtubes-before-after-results.html

unless you go boost, they arent worth it IMO.

fortunately for me, i have boost so i'll be looking for some soon!!

The stepped header from pypes will actually show more for NA then boost and they still give a good increase on NA. I would say its good on NA but great on boost or spray.

I was wondering if the aftermarket shorties added any decent numbers

shorties will gain you NO power increase.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
We just did 2 different test with before and after with Kooks and Pypes and both showed 40+rwhp increases. Read them here

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...2013-rtr-testing-pypes-headers-w-results.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ing-kooks-longtubes-before-after-results.html

The stepped header from pypes will actually show more for NA then boost and they still give a good increase on NA. I would say its good on NA but great on boost or spray.

shorties will gain you NO power increase.

I never argue with big shops like you guys and other big shops as well but I'm just an average joe and been on the Dyno 50+ times with my 03 cobra on my own dime , and now I own a 2012 5.0 AED tuned and I don't think you should even lead people to believe they can pick up 40rwhp with longtubes. With all the different dynos and and setups I don't think it's realistic. Actually I live in ohio and I made 422 with my mods in my sig on a Dynojet here in ohio and if you guarantee 460+ rwhp out of my car if I add long tubes I'm willing to purchase right now from you ????

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I never argue with big shops like you guys and other big shops as well but I'm just an average joe and been on the Dyno 50+ times with my 03 cobra on my own dime , and now I own a 2012 5.0 AED tuned and I don't think you should even lead people to believe they can pick up 40rwhp with longtubes. With all the different dynos and and setups I don't think it's realistic. Actually I live in ohio and I made 422 with my mods in my sig on a Dynojet here in ohio and if you guarantee 460+ rwhp out of my car if I add long tubes I'm willing to purchase right now from you ????

I cannot give you an exact # on what your car will see but YOU WILL pick up some noticeable power. Your tune and air quality are the 2 key factors. Theirs to many variables to say the actual gain on each car. I stated the number because both picked up good numbers and that was with our tuning and air quality. As I have stated in the 2 threads as well, I did not do this to show our tuning will gain u that much but that longtubes WILL gain you some great power. If you look at the 2 articles I did you can see the difference with the tune hp number is it was the same mods. They were both 13s as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Longtubes are worth it just for the sound alone. IMO. They are also affordable. Plus you will eventually run out of mods to do and do it eventually.

corysmach1

Established Member
I cannot give you an exact # on what your car will see but YOU WILL pick up some noticeable power. Your tune and air quality are the 2 key factors. Theirs to many variables to say the actual gain on each car. I stated the number because both picked up good numbers and that was with our tuning and air quality. As I have stated in the 2 threads as well, I did not do this to show our tuning will gain u that much but that longtubes WILL gain you some great power. If you look at the 2 articles I did you can see the difference with the tune hp number is it was the same mods. They were both 13s as well.

I know from the factory the 13s seem to make a tad more power but i thought that was just in the tune from the factory.....i know they dont have oil squirters....but it does seem like the 13s are making a little more power modded.....can you explain?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I think an honest # on the headers is about 20-30 rwhp on an n/a car, boosted you will pickup more.

We picked up right at a tenth of a second when we did n/a testing back when I first got the car.

I haven't ever seen a 40+ hp gain on a car, "that was already tuned" from a set of headers.

The factory headers flow well.

That said, i LOVE the sound of headers on a car. I'd do them for sound alone. But they do give you some additional power as well.

We have good offerings in the top ones with the Stainless Works and ARH, and if you want something less expensive, the Stainless Power or the Pypes.

It isn't like 2 years later, all of a sudden the headers are starting to make an extra 10-20 hp than 2 years ago, lol

Users who are viewing this thread