TVS no catch can? ACK!!!

cb900f

Established Member
Hello everyone.

I'm about to go get my new tune tomorrow. One piece of which is the 65mm frpp throttle body. So im yanking the stock throttle body off. Here's the back side of the stock throttle body.

url]
(notice the drip of oil on the left blade)

I put the TVS on around 7k miles, and now about 8.5k. Any recommendations on a catch can?
I've heard the JLT is a bit small.
What are other TVS going Coyotes using???

Just one on the passenger? Or one passenger and one driver?

Thanks!

techwerkz

Established Member
This is what I have for my car, similar idea as the one above. I used some nylon braided rubber 10AN lines and hose fittings. The cost with all the fittings and hoses ended up less than 2 JLT's would have.

rN89rS0h.jpg

alex12gt

Established Member
I second the allstar!!!! That what I ran on my tvs setup you can run pass and drivers side to the one can its like running a breathers but with out the mess.....

I'm thinking about running one on my new 14 even though it will stay na the best way to keep it out of the intake is not even run a line to it cut out the chance 100%
IMG_20130326_105458_529_zpse95d5ae1.jpg

Last edited:

prn1972

Established Member
All-star or Moroso catch can breathers, run both sides to one can, vents both side without mess, & don't run it to intake as Alex said, just plug the hole in the intake

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I second the allstar!!!!

I third the Allstar. I have both sides running to one and I have mine mounted out of site behind the bumper cover down low. We dilled a hole in the plastic shield under the car and I can reach in and drain it easily. This way I never get any oil or mist in my inlet and it cleaned up the engine bay a bit, getting rid of the hoses.

alex12gt

Established Member
Ok here is the explanation of hose routing on the tvs for an open style catch can.......

Driver side- run the line off the head to the catch can.....cap off the fitting on the intake

Pass side you have a total of 3 ports
Pass side head-run into catch can

Port on the side of the blower-cap it (for this and the intake I used a vacume cap from a local auto store)

Hose that runs from the bottom of the supercharger intake- plug it....you can buy the right size plug or find a bolt that fits in there very snug and use the tension clamp already on the hose or even add a worm clamp

Doing this ensures you no longer get any oil in the intake at all!!!! If you need any help setting it up let me know you can always use this same concept
And just run breathers but they have the potential to get messy

Last edited:

Tucker

All you need is the JLT separator and a 2nd PCV valve.
The issue is the lower line from the manifold blows oil into the blower under boost.
Add the PCV/Check valve and it stops it.
1479482_10151872604097155_2005345183_n.jpg

Cheap and easy fix

alex12gt

Established Member
That doesn't stop oil from getting into the throttle body and doeasnt completely eliminate all oil going into the blower I ran jlt's on both side of my tvs from day one and after 8 months when I pulled the blower I still had a large amount of oil build up and this included a small puddle on the inside of the blower.....

Like I said the ONLY way to 100% stop any oil from getting in is to eliminate any line that runs of the head

Nothing wrong with jlt products and had great service from them but in this case its not the answer if you want to solve the problem completely

Tucker

The check valve is the simple trick. Catch can or not it pushes what's collected out of the can.
Since I've run the valve, no more oil in the inlet or blower

As for the driver side, I've had a test separator on it for a while now with 0 oil film in it. It's all coming from the passenger side.

Tucker

The front of the throttle body tells the story, it's oil free I'd bet.

Sorry, not here to argue or push product, just inform.

The lower line pushes what ever boost your running into the fitting directly across from your puddle...

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
There's no way this came off the pass side when there was a can on it

2012-12-02_19-04-49_724.jpg

I agree the only way the completely stop oil from getting in is to completely delete it. I ran a JLT catch can on my n/a car for over a year and when I pulled my boss intake it had a ton of oil inside of it. I recently went to breathers for that reason.

mechanicboy

Established Member
I installed one on my truck (passenger side only) from about 5kish miles so it was on there for about 23k miles and did a good job collecting oil. When I pulled the intake to put the blower on it had no drop and the runners were almost dry. My ports looks almost brand new with just a hair of color.

Now with the blower on it there's so much more crap being caught. It seemed to collect some moisture too maybe due to the E85. I looked down the snout two days ago and can tell you it still looks brand new with no traces of oil from the PCV.

I'd say get a can. If you're worried this won't be enough then just have a can that breaths to the atmosphere. If you just run a filter on the cap I bet you'd end up with a wet valve cover.

Edit, in my haste I missed your post from 20 minutes ago saying you ordered the Allstar.

Last edited:

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Had my car looked at by a reputable so a couple days back and recommend no catch can! Saying the oil provides lubrication for the blower. This confused me and being in a bit of a rush I didn't question it much. Anyone else ever hear this or have info on why our why not they are a good investment?

Users who are viewing this thread