Ok to change viscosity on gear oil?

KonaGT

Established Member
Thinking about changing my stock rear gears, was wondering if it is necessary to run the stock 75w-140 again or can I change as long as I get something that will work with the limited slip?

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I put in Amsoil severe gear 75w110 when I did my gear install 95,000 miles ago
no issue, I'm thinking of dropping it down to 75w90

Here is the thing I never under stood about Ford
they want me to run some of the thinnest engine oil out there, ( for fuel economy )but want me to run gear lube from a cement mixer. ( hurting the gain from the engine oil)

KonaGT

Established Member
Well I checked around at the local parts stores today and I can't get anything in a 75w-140 and I am wanting to change my gears tomorrow. So I don't have time to order anything.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thinking about changing my stock rear gears, was wondering if it is necessary to run the stock 75w-140 again or can I change as long as I get something that will work with the limited slip?

You can run anything you want in there.

The question is how will a lighter gear oil effect the ring and pinion and bearing life?

That is something I would prefer not experiment with since the 75W-140 is readily available.

Unless you are racing in a class where every hundredth of a second is a huge deal, I don't think it's work risking buying new stuff.
I'd rather everything last as long as possible in there.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I put in Amsoil severe gear 75w110 when I did my gear install 95,000 miles ago
no issue, I'm thinking of dropping it down to 75w90

Here is the thing I never under stood about Ford
they want me to run some of the thinnest engine oil out there, ( for fuel economy )but want me to run gear lube from a cement mixer. ( hurting the gain from the engine oil)

Easy helps keep gear an rearend noise down a tad.

KonaGT

Established Member
Found Royal Purple 75w-140 locally so I used that.

Took me all day to swap the gears but I got it done and it doesn't make any noise yet lol.

KonaGT

Established Member
Tell me about it. I don't have very much patience and setting these gears up tested what little I have. If they made noise or something was wrong when I was done the car would probably be for sale.

Fredxin

Established Member
what are the difference between 75W140 and 85W140. any reason to use one not the other? or are they specific for certain way you gonna use the car for?

Users who are viewing this thread