Suspension install write-ups?

RioRed4v

Established Member
Getting ready to install my exhaust and suspension stuff (springs, shocks/struts, adj panhard bar) this weekend and was wondering if there are any good writeups out there for these?

I've seen the LMR one for the springs, which seems pretty good, but it doesnt mention torque specs. Was hoping to find something that would include torque specs for everything.

Exhaust install info I don't really think I'll need as I would guess its pretty self-explantory once you're under there. Hopefully I can just re-use the factory clamps for everything.

Any links would be much appreciated. Thanks guys

RioRed4v

Established Member
Thanks man. And i think i had read the panhard bar was to be torqued to 129ft lbs so I think i might be set.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Getting ready to install my exhaust and suspension stuff (springs, shocks/struts, adj panhard bar) this weekend and was wondering if there are any good writeups out there for these?

I've seen the LMR one for the springs, which seems pretty good, but it doesnt mention torque specs. Was hoping to find something that would include torque specs for everything.

Exhaust install info I don't really think I'll need as I would guess its pretty self-explantory once you're under there. Hopefully I can just re-use the factory clamps for everything.

Any links would be much appreciated. Thanks guys

If you do the mufflers, one of the little tricks is to use a jack to push the catback up (close to the body) giving you more space to work with.

What exhaust are you going with?

RioRed4v

Established Member
If you do the mufflers, one of the little tricks is to use a jack to push the catback up (close to the body) giving you more space to work with.

What exhaust are you going with?

I have a Lethal X-pipe, JPC over-axle tubes and Corsa Extreme axleback.

With the suspension stuff its springs, shocks/struts and panhard bar. So i figured while i have the rear-end dropped for the springs, I can toss on the exhaust easily.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Leave the exhaust loose so you can adjust it once you get the rear end bolted back in. If I wasn't leaving Colorado on Saturday I'd offer to come and help. I am over in Strasburg.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Leave the exhaust loose so you can adjust it once you get the rear end bolted back in. If I wasn't leaving Colorado on Saturday I'd offer to come and help. I am over in Strasburg.

Ah, go figure lol.

Thanks for the exhaust tip though. Probably would have overlooked that:lol1:

RockStarKick

Established Member
Just did the OR-X last weekend by myself with the front end on ramps.. Was pretty simple, the hardest part for me was getting the old H-pipe out, once the cat bolts were removed it was just kinda dangling there and I had to get a rubber mallet and tap on it a bit..

Floor jack was my friend when installing the new pipe... Damn, O2 sensors were kinda a bitch to unplug.. I probably spent more time just laying there studying the undercarriage of the car, there's a lot going on down there..

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
you're going to have to get the passenger side, closest to the body, header-H pipe bolt off from the engine bay. It's impossible to get that bolt from underneath the car.

twistedneck

Established Member
make sure you get a hold and drive type socket to loosen the strut bolts and re-tighten them. i just used an impact (cheap electric $49 impact gun from HF) worked great. however i had to hold the strut shaft with two sets of vice grips with towels around the contact area.

found out from a buddy that he did that once and the piston un -screwed and popped off w/ 14BAR of pressure and just barely missed his face.

not sure where to find one of those magic strut nuts that hold and drive however. anyone??

Also, i recommend the doube sided allen key spring compressors. they are much better for gently seating the spring and making that top strut mount nice and tight. the 3 finger strut compressors that pro's use dont offer that kind of gentle seating that you get by going little by little with the manual spring compressors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread