Slight "chirping" noise?

RioRed4v

Established Member
Just installed all my new parts and overall am extremely happy. Put on a Lethal X, JPC over-axle pipes, Corsa axleback, Koni STR.T's, K springs and J&M adj panhard bar.

The ride and everything is amazing, but at low speeds with the radio off, I'm hearing almost like a subtle chirping noise that sounds like its coming from the rear passenger area. I have only been able to hear off fences or tight roads. It seemed to have develop after a little bit of cruising to check the ride/exhaust.

I plan on jacking the car up again tomorrow to check things out, but any suggestions on what it could be?

*edit* The chirping almost sounds like metal on metal

Last edited:

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I have a chirping noise. It is bent axle flanges. You can particularly hear it under braking, and at slow speeds if there is something to bounce sound off of...like a fence.

Mike

RioRed4v

Established Member
Just went out again to listen to it and the chirping/squeaking is definitely coming from the rear. Doesn't seem to increase if i turn the car hard or anything. It also varies with speed. Never noticed it before installing my suspension/exhaust, and its loud enough that I would have for sure noticed it.

2012GTCS

Established Member
I have a chirping noise as well that I got when lightly braking. Now I notice it even while just driving, mostly from drivers rear. However it seems to be gone with the factory CS wheels and I hear it with my RTRs installed. The rtr is not rubbing at all. Can't figure it out, neither could ford (with the stock wheels on)

There's also a TSB regarding tabs on the braking parts, may be weorty checking out.

RioRed4v

Established Member
That's pretty similar to mine. I went out again and on mine, it seems to be making the noise from the passenger side rear. I dont really notice anything on the driver side. Chirp/squeak speeds up and slows down with the speed of the car and definitely makes more noise with some braking pressure.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Went out today and put the car on jackstands and put it in gear. Definitely coming from the passenger side and the tone changes with brake pressure so I'm guessing its either brake or rotor related??

I took the wheel off, kept the spacer on and put on a couple open ended lugnuts to secure it. Let the car roll and the noise went away completely. I put the wheel back on torqued it all down and the noise is back (but so far better than the first time).

Any ideas?

RioRed4v

Established Member
Just took the spacer on the passenger side off and so far it seems like the noise went away. Going to give it a little more time to see if it comes back, but so far I think it might have been that spacer.

It didn't seem to fit as good as the other one and it also didn't seem to sit as flat. Who knows. Seems weird that the spacer would cause that noise.

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
Check the side to side runout on the wheel. The brakes are squeaking due to the bent axle flange causing the rotor to sway, touching the caliper springs/bracket.

I had it on both sides, tooks several trips to the dealer and many headaches to diagnose.

Users who are viewing this thread