Track Key Reviews, Post them here.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Ok in the next week or so the track keys "Should" be operational.

Lets Here what everybody has to say. I'll check back in a week.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Anyone that attended the Boss Track Attack program has driven a TK equipped car. Just like Ford has stated the cars have a (slightly) more aggressive throttle response, more aggressive engine braking, the cars were not throwing codes running up on the curbs, and have the lopey idle. The idle was more noticeable when the cars were hot like when you exited the track and sounded pretty cool. As for more torque in the lower RPM range I could not tell but the cars are at a much higher elevation, approx 4,500 ft, compared to sea level where I live. To me the car I drove felt down on power compared to mine and I noticed it immediately. We did not get a chance to try launch control. The dash read track key for track use only. I'm going to buy it but don't expect it to turn your Boss into a 302S.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
they are just finishing up Dads right now....

c607aef0.jpg

*edit*

Ok went for a ride,
the launch control is very cool, it was funny when we were setting it up he hit the wrong cruise control button activating the pit road speed control. took a second to figure it out.

as far as performance it felt a little stronger, but with it only 60 here today , makes it kind of traction-less.

not sure when I'll have a better review, car will be put away for winter shortly.

Last edited:

beaner

wee-man
Established Member
got mine not impressed. lanch control cool but that about it. can bairly notice the loopy idle at all, and cant tell if any more power or not. think more of a ford marketing gimick than any thing. i new it wouldnt have much performaqnce diff and all i wanted was a nice loopy idle but if i didnt tell you it was in idle mode no one would even now it. i will be getting a aftermarket tune soon. just my two cents

deadly venom

Established Member
what a waste of time waiting for it....jlp is selling sct with cam tune, im going to order mine..

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
got mine not impressed. lanch control cool but that about it. can bairly notice the loopy idle at all, and cant tell if any more power or not. think more of a ford marketing gimick than any thing. i new it wouldnt have much performaqnce diff and all i wanted was a nice loopy idle but if i didnt tell you it was in idle mode no one would even now it. i will be getting a aftermarket tune soon. just my two cents

You got a Boss? Keep or sell the terminator? Congrats man :beer:

nccstud

Established Member
Of course the lopey idle is a marketing gimmick. Ford stated from the beginning that TK wouldn't boost hp. It's trackey for that reason...the track. Others have stated that the increased engine braking and throttle response should be just what is needed for the track. I get to put my car away for the winter, so everyone who doesn't can give the TK a nice test run for me so I know if I should get it or not :)

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Tested a stock track key Boss on the dyno yesterday.
No peak HP/or TQ gains, but it did pick up a little of both down low.
MPH at 5k was higher with the track key, but the same at 7300.
Track key had more timing and a leaner AF.
Track key sounded better. :)

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Does the track key enable a variable ratio diff gear?

Just went back and looked at the logs again. 2-4 mph gain with the red key through the entire rpm range. MPH difference could have been due to temp variances, knock, who knows. It wasn't an in-depth study ;-) The customer just wanted to see if there were any power gains and I did a quick log to see if any big differences jumped out.

This is silver key (left) vs red (right) at 5300 and 7k rpm.

trackkey5300.jpg

trackkey7k.jpg

silvervsred.jpg

Last edited:

cbrtrx

Established Member
So if I'm reading the logs right the track key car is running about 7 more degrees of timing over stock?

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Oh ok, I see what's going with the two tunes. The car itself isn't gaining any MPH at any RPM. The MPH being reported is higher in the TracKey probably because there is a dfferent value for tire revs or something similar in the TracKey calibration.

Dagwood

Established Member
I got my track key "installed" this past week. Drove about 15 miles. Like others have said the lopey idle is not very noticeable. The car does seem to have better throttle response and a little better low end torque. No huge difference. Not much for the $400 to buy and install. Hope it makes more of an impact on the track but won't know until next year.

As for the warranty questions posted previously, my paperwork says that Track Key does not alter the original warranty and the Track Key program itself is warrantied for 3/36.

Fuerza

Established Member
I always saw the track key as a gimmick. The results aren't yielding much either. I guess if you plan to keep the car in stock trim and go to track it could be worth something.

SDW Racing

Established Member
I always saw the track key as a gimmick. The results aren't yielding much either. I guess if you plan to keep the car in stock trim and go to track it could be worth something.

mmmmm....isn't that the whole point to the Track Key? To recalibrate the box for track conditions....turn off unnecessary functionality in the computer and bump up others?

cloud9

Established Member
Tested a stock track key Boss on the dyno yesterday.
No peak HP/or TQ gains, but it did pick up a little of both down low.
MPH at 5k was higher with the track key, but the same at 7300.
Track key had more timing and a leaner AF.
Track key sounded better. :)
That sounds more like what I expected. I didn't get those kind of results. In fact the curves were identical between the two keys. I posted them over here: My TracKey Experience

Could you post your dyno graphs for comparison? I only wanted TK for the track, and frankly don't care that much about the lopey idle. If TK in fact does what you say, that's awesome and will make a performance difference on the track.

cloud9

Established Member
Sorry I should have read the entire thread before replying. Thanks for posting up the datalogs and graphs.

I'm not going to be able to get back on track until April since snow will be here any day. I did have 17 track days with just the black key so lots of lap time data for comparison when I can get back out there. Hopefully some of you guys in warmer climates can start doing some lap time comparisons between the two keys. If nothing else, it "feels" more like a race car with TK and should make track days that much more fun, although I'm certainly hoping there's a performance gain.

Users who are viewing this thread