Motor break-in process

thecatalyst

Established Member
Is there a break-in period or anything special that you need to do for these cars? We are picking up my uncle's 2013 shelby tonight from the dealership.

Florian

Established Member
yes, yes there is. Here's the process:

Enter vehicle, make sure that youre securely in drivers seat. See owners manual regarding Launch Control, dial up 3800 rpm on the 4.2" info display. Start car, jam clutch to firewall, same with accelerator pedal. Quickly release clutch, enjoy your break-in. Repeat as necessary.

F

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Keep rpms and speeds to a minimum until 1500 miles. :)

:nonono::dw:

Bring engine up to operating temperature first, by driving it normal.

Find safe location.
Do as many short 4 or 5 second bursts of WOT as you can without blowing the tires off or getting arrested-- as early in the break in period as possible.

Follow each WOT burst with an in gear coast down.

Do not do sustained WOT, and yet do not spend the entire first 50 to 100 miles tip toeing around either.

Your welcome!:beer::rockon:
Enjoy it!:thumbsup:

BossAnaki

Established Member
yes, yes there is. Here's the process:

Enter vehicle, make sure that youre securely in drivers seat. See owners manual regarding Launch Control, dial up 3800 rpm on the 4.2" info display. Start car, jam clutch to firewall, same with accelerator pedal. Quickly release clutch, enjoy your break-in. Repeat as necessary.

F

I like this break-in process:rockon:

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
:nonono::dw:

Bring engine up to operating temperature first, by driving it normal.

Find safe location.
Do as many short 4 or 5 second bursts of WOT as you can without blowing the tires off or getting arrested-- as early in the break in period as possible.

Follow each WOT burst with an in gear coast down.

Do not do sustained WOT, and yet do not spend the entire first 50 to 100 miles tip toeing around either.

Your welcome!:beer::rockon:
Enjoy it!:thumbsup:

That was my tongue and cheek GM/ZL1 bashing. GM essentially says baby the car until 1500 miles. Eff that, I think a 200 mph run would break everything in just fine. :dancenana:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Drive iike maniac for first 60 miles. Put on dyno at 95 miles. Go drive like maniac additional 40 miles. Verify first dyno at second dyno at 130 miles. Worked for me.

SDHUSL

Established Member
The WOT blips and high decel against the lower tranny gear is and old school way of breaking in an engine. Not used anymore. The ring packs modern engines nowadays seat within seconds of startup. As long as the fuel is correct the rings seat. Back in the day you would break in an engine by creating as much engine vacuum as possible to get the rings to seat because they were a lot harder and the honing process was less refined than it is today.

Drive it like you stole it. Just don't wrap it around a telephone pole.

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Bumblebee2012 said:
So, why do we pretend that Fbod walks on water and splits the sea? I hear the name, but have no clue why I should feel entitled to read his words.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This is the best post I read lol

Last edited:

Cam

n/a
Established Member
That's great! The ZL-1 guys are turning against the LS3/L99 guys now.

jtfx6552

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread