Won't shift? Maybe this will save you some money.

David Buschur

Established Member
Well I've unfortunately got one of the cars that shift like shit. At 138 miles on the clock the car just wouldn't go into 2nd gear. I took the service manager at a local dealer for a ride, he agreed it was an issue. I waited for an answer and was told the best he could come up with was the hydraulic clutch line was too small........

I told him I read about the Barton Shifter and how great it was, blah-blah-blah. I didn't really want the dealer to have the car so I asked if I could install it and see if it fixed the issue, if so I'd not bother him. He agreed.

Well I'm here to tell you guys, if you trans won't shift, don't waste the money on the shifter. The shifter quality is fantastic. The how to install it DVD is also very good. The shifter feel is greatly improved and the shifts are substantially shorter, but it didn't fix the shifting problem, which is what I was after.

We own a performance shop and have used some Tremec's in the past, my brother suggested I call Tremec direct, so I did.

A tech there was up to date on the issue and told me straight up it's a problem on Ford's end, end of story. He said there are two issues, one being the hydraulic TOB isn't moving the fluid fast enough and the other is the twin disc clutch floater plate is hanging up. I then told him about the grinding and the fact that it HAS to need at least a 2nd gear syncro put in it at this point. He agreed 100%.

Back on the phone with Ford and they have agreed to pull the trans and fix it, the car has 331 miles on it and is just about un-driveable. Even at 4500 rpm the car will not go into 2nd gear.

Hope this saves someone buying some parts they don't need and maybe some insight into what the issues are.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Very good info dave. The hydraulic TOB is something to keep in mind and the floating twin disk could be a reason why a few clutches blew up.

question: what exactly is the fix? if you don't know please update us with what your dealer does to correct it

BOD89LX

Established Member
In for the fix as the only way I found to avoid the grind is to shift slower to 2nd.

David Buschur

Established Member
I'm not sure of the fix. The service manager is going to call in to see if they are going to have them replace the syncro's at the dealer, if they have to send the trans in for repair or if it is simply replaced, which is what I am hoping. If it needs rebuilt I'd prefer to do it ourselves at our shop. With the info from Tremec today I am going to buy the best clutch/TOB and clutch line I can find to install in the car while the trans is out being warranteed. I told Ford if they fix the trans I will buy the other parts that are suppose to fix it and if it still won't shift I won't bother them about it again. So we will see if ANY of this stuff flies. I felt good getting a straight answer from Tremec though.

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
Interesting....
I've been away for awhile, didn't realize this problem continues in the 2013 models. Thought this was licked with the new model year.

Hope you guys get it figured out....

BOD89LX

Established Member
Don is this issue as bad as it was with your '12 model?
My 2012 shifted better after getting rebuilt and with a MGW shifter , the 13 will grind and or lock me out if I try to shift too fast but I am getting good at shifting slower to 2nd gear and then I can just about power shift to 3rd to make up for the lost time.

Zeroescence

Established Member
the 13 will grind and or lock me out if I try to shift too fast but I am getting good at shifting slower to 2nd gear and then I can just about power shift to 3rd to make up for the lost time.

+1. I still have the grind. It's just better now that I have learned how to shift slow as hell into second. Lame I have to do this on a $68000 muscle car. Oh we'll, I still love my baby.

Myfast70

Established Member

Thanks for the heads up! I wonder if part of it has to do with the size of the line/orifice in it?? 4th gen F-Body cars had a ton of issues with missed shifts due to the restricted clutch line size. They used to have a "drill mod" where you take the line off and open up the orifice to 1/8" rather than the 1/16" that came from GM. It was told that GM didn't want people powershifting the cars so they restricted line size to prevent it. Wonder if Ford was thinking the same thing :shrug:

I'm sure the line will be an easy swap but how about bleeding it? Is there a bleeder on the slave cylinder or does it self bleed once installed?

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
Unbelievable!
I hope Ford has a plan.
Your taking it better than I would.
Keep us informed, and good luck with everything.

Users who are viewing this thread