LED Fog Light Bulb Install

Copper&Black

Established Member
LED Fog Light Bulbs Install

So I ordered a set of LED fog lights from Van, I was considering the cheap Chinese ones but have had bad experiences in the past with those type of LED stack up bulbs.

I installed them today, what a pain in the ass....

First the bottom panel in the picture needs to come off by taking out its 9 screws.
Then on the drivers side I was able to pop the bulb out without taking the fog light housing out b/c the car horn being in the way of being able to free up the housing by pinching the three push clips and pushing the housing out the front of the bumper.
The passenger side I was able to free up the whole fog light housing first, then install the bulb and then pop the housing back into place.
Followed by reinstalling the bottom panel and 9 screws.

I think they look great. They don't appear to project as much light as the OEM ones but the fog lights on these cars aren't too functional to begin with, and the reduction in light is worth it for the cleaner look.

DSCN3069.jpg

DSCN3085.jpg

DSCN3084.jpg

DSCN3086.jpg

DSCN3077.jpg

DSCN3076.jpg

DSCN3074.jpg

DSCN3079.jpg

DSCN3081.jpg

DSCN3087.jpg

DSCN3088.jpg

Last edited:

Copper&Black

Established Member
I agree they look better, did not realize they were such a pain to install

Yeah man, a pain, and the fact that the car is so low in the front makes it even more difficult. It would have been a hell of a lot easier to take it over to the other building where I have a nice 2 post rotary lift, but at the moment it is lacking rubber pads for the arms and I'm not putting metal on metal on this ride. So I just jacked up the side i was working on with a floor jack.

Well done that's a good job you did there ..
And it's worth the trouble.

Thanks man!

Last edited:

farmboy90

Established Member
I (and others) have installed them without lifting the car or removing anything. You just need to finagle your arm in there the right way and get behind the wheel well to do it. Yes, it is a pain in the ass but it can be done.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I (and others) have installed them without lifting the car or removing anything. You just need to finagle your arm in there the right way and get behind the wheel well to do it. Yes, it is a pain in the ass but it can be done.

Yes, this is how I did mine, took about 15 minutes.

Copper&Black

Established Member

I've got some pretty big hands and some equally large forearms, more often then not they limit my ability to finagle my arm in to anything tight. So I had to attack it from the bottom.

Last edited:

nix5o

Established Member
I popped a couple of screws loose and made it easier to wiggle my arms in there. It sucked, but it looks way better.

rancid

Established Member
9y3a8aty.jpg

eqevube3.jpg

I have Bob's LEDs and they were a pain in the butt as well because the tabs had to be filed down to get them to fit.

I did not jack my car up to install them but I didn't have the addon splitter installed at the time which helped a ton.

peteypab2133

Established Member
Was I the only person who did not have to do all this? I turned my steering wheel, pulled the plastic inner fender liner away reached in without sight disconnected it and plugged the new one in. Repeated on the other side. Took me about 6 minutes to install mine.

farmboy90

Established Member
Was I the only person who did not have to do all this? I turned my steering wheel, pulled the plastic inner fender liner away reached in without sight disconnected it and plugged the new one in. Repeated on the other side. Took me about 6 minutes to install mine.

No. Several of us did it this way as indicated up above.

rancid

Established Member
Does anyone know of a replacement HID that will work with our harness/plug and closer to 6000-6500k to match the LEDs fogs?

Snoopy49

Established Member
Has anyone tried window tinting or spray tinting on the fog light lenses to try and match the color of the headlights?

lelo

Established Member
I agree they look better, did not realize they were such a pain to install

I did not do near as much...took the 2 screws out of the cover closest to the passenger and driver's side fenders and simply bent the plastic a bit...took the plug off and popped the light bulb out and then stuck the LED lights in and put the plug back in place and screwed everything back up. Took about 10-15 minutes a side.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
^^^^ good to know. I will likely get a pair soon, I rather have them match more, the headlights light up the road very well as is and they can be upgraded too down the road anyway

Copper&Black

Established Member
I considered the bending back the fender well method, but in the past I have broken so many pastic panels and cover plates on my past vehicles, I just don't trust myself bending anything and not breaking it.

I might have made 3 lefts instead of a right, but I did so with caution on the brain... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

wagge

Established Member
I considered the bending back the fender well method, but in the past I have broken so many pastic panels and cover plates on my past vehicles, I just don't trust myself bending anything and not breaking it.

I might have made 3 lefts instead of a right, but I did so with caution on the brain... :thumbsup:

I bent the plastic back without issue, Its not the kind of plastic that will break but I could not get the bulb out. I tried for 30 min and it will not come out. I squeezed the side of the lampholder but could not get it to release. I final broke two small tabs which I do not think matters but it would not come out. I can barley see it, but not enough to tell what's holding it up. I tried the dealer and they will not do it. Any ideas??
I need a lift and it would be no problem

wagge

Established Member
I did not do near as much...took the 2 screws out of the cover closest to the passenger and driver's side fenders and simply bent the plastic a bit...took the plug off and popped the light bulb out and then stuck the LED lights in and put the plug back in place and screwed everything back up. Took about 10-15 minutes a side.

When you said you just popped the bulbs out did you squeeze the holder and wiggle the lamp back and forth. I did that and it seemed like it was coming out by then my fingers were cramping and I finally gave up.

Users who are viewing this thread