First impression of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

2013gt5

Established Member
So after having enough sliding around on the stock Goodyears I finally got the Michelins put on Saturday evening. Temp was about low 60's high 50's which seemed to be low enough the give the stockers a hard time on the street. Only got to put about 30 miles on them but I will say they stay planted way better. From a roll in 2nd where the GY's would just break loose the michelins only gave a little spin but grabbed without much work on the gas. I was hoping to see before and after numbers at the track with them but couldn't take them anymore on the street and just haven't had time to get to the track yet.

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
Thanks and please keep updating this post as you stack on some mileage. Did you get both front and rear tires and in stock size or did you bump up to 295's rear and 275 front? I'm also curious on the rolling resistance and probably the best gauge of that is MPG's on these vs. the GY's.

Thanks in advance!

1320nut

Shelby Girl
Established Member
Thanks and please keep updating this post as you stack on some mileage. Did you get both front and rear tires and in stock size or did you bump up to 295's rear and 275 front? I'm also curious on the rolling resistance and probably the best gauge of that is MPG's on these vs. the GY's.

Thanks in advance!

x2 on the sizes please. Thanks in advance.

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
Good info.
Has anyone got any good pics of the MPSS's on the SVTPP wheels?
Cant seem to find any...

F8l Vnm

Established Member
What sizes did you go with ?
Also Yes the PS2's are bad ass tires, did or have you also looked at the PS cups?

Photonut

Established Member
I'm having PSS tires installed tomorrow on my SVTPP wheels. One size up - 275/40/19 front and 295/35/20 rear. I'll try to post some pics afterwords if people would find that useful.

Regarding PS2's - I believe the PSS tires are considered the newer generation replacement, and are a superior tire. I'm not a Michelin expert, but that's the impression I have from what research I've done.

-Photonut

Husky44

Established Member
I'm having PSS tires installed tomorrow on my SVTPP wheels. One size up - 275/40/19 front and 295/35/20 rear. I'll try to post some pics afterwords if people would find that useful.
</p>
ABSOLUTELY!!! Wanting to see big pics from multiple angles to know how it's going to look, how sidewalls end up, rear shot of tread width, etc. Also really would like to see some detailed impressions on traction improvement: Did it SOLVE the problem, make it 50% better, ??? Trying to decide if this will be enough (one size up PSS on stock size SVTPP rims), if I need to widen rims to get even more rubber on the ground, or if I'm going to need new rubber and suspension work in order to really get the car to take advantage of the power that the 5.8 makes.

2013gt5

Established Member
I only have the rears on right now and will be getting the fronts on this week. They had to order them. I just went with the stock size for both. I will definitely update as I get more mileage on them. As for picking up rocks from the road I can't answer for sure as I still have the stock tires up front. And as for up sizing to 295, I personally cant see that making that much difference. If I was going to go bigger I would either go with a new rim or widen the stock ones and go with something like a 315. But for staying with stock rims and size I'm pleased so far with the Michelins.

Last edited:

kpinco

Established Member

Regarding PS2's - I believe the PSS tires are considered the newer generation replacement, and are a superior tire. I'm not a Michelin expert, but that's the impression I have from what research I've done.

-Photonut

Definitely! Looking forward to seeing pictures! Thanks!!!

GT500662

Established Member
Go to my YouTube page....you will see 295/35R20 Michelin PSS on the rear. They are on Shelby Alcoa rims though. My youtube page is GT500662
FYI 255 on the front

phil123

Established Member
I have all four in stock sizes. Better than the GY in every respect for daily driving. On the track GY's were fine but I am not on the track that much.

occar

Established Member
I have all 4, stock sizes, I agree, better in every measure for non-track driving (I've not tracked my car to say one way or the other there).

They're also far more tolerant of cold temperatures.

Photonut

Established Member
As mentioned, I had my Michelin PSS tires installed today. For the benefit of those who wanted to see, I took some before and after pictures. These are "one size up" over stock, at 275/40/19 front and 295/35/20 rear, on the stock SVTPP rims. I went a size up due my personal research which indicated that the PSS tires run slightly smaller than the Goodyears, and I wanted a good match for the stock look. I'm pleased, but you can be your own judge.

Image pairs are below, the first link are the Goodyears (before), second link are the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (after.) The first thing you'll notice is that the PSS tires really need to be dressed up. So don't focus on the color, they look terrible in this "grey" color, but they'll look great once dressed up. The second thing you'll notice is that it's 38 degrees, dark, and pouring rain here... aka "Seattle in the Winter". Not good for photography, or really for cars with 662 horsepower. I didn't get perfect angle matches on every image, so if there's something else you'd like to see - let me know and I'll try to get a few shots this weekend during daylight when it's not pouring down rain. (If that happens.)

Goodyears - Full Side View
MPSS - Full Side View

Goodyear - Front Tire
MPSS - Front Tire

Goodyear - Rear Tire
MPSS - Rear Tire

Goodyear - Front Profile
MPSS - Front Profile

Goodyear - Rear Profile
MPSS - Rear Profile

Three quarters view with Michelin PSS installed

Overall, I'm very happy with the look. Your mileage may vary.

As for the difference in performance - it would really be unfair for me to judge, as I only had about 40 miles on the Goodyears, always in the rain at temperatures between 33 and 38 degrees. (The car stepped out when you even thought about the throttle, and chirped on every shift and corner.)

Having said that, the MPSS tires did "feel" a lot more confidence inspiring in my short 8 mile slosh home in the rain, with temperatures soaring to a balmy 41. Traction control only screamed once when the car stepped sideways, after I gave it a bit too much throttle. (Too much meaning ~25% instead of 15%) But I did stomp the brakes hard 3 or 4 times on the way home to test, and the tires grabbed hard and stopped immediately. There were no complaints or chirps when shifting or going around corners either, unlike the Goodyears who wanted none of that.

Incidentally, I got this done at a local Discount Tire. I asked them to treat the car with kid gloves, which they did, with me hovering in the wings like a nervous father. The service manager said he'd had an unreal number of calls from other stores across the country asking for my tires, and he had to fight them off with a stick to keep them someone from stealing them. So sounds like they are in high demand! My price was about $1700 installed, FYI.

Looking forward to some warmer (and dryer) weather, when I may even be able to get this thing above 2000 RPM. :) I hear it's a monster. It certainly feels like one. Let me know if you'd like to see other views, or need more info!

-Photonut

P.S. Oh did I mention my GT500 finally arrived last week? Yeah, so, that happened, as you can probably see. :) YAHOO! I'll post some initial impressions soon.

Last edited:

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
Thanks for the pics! Exactly what I wanted to see.
Great choice going one size up..definately looks like more meat on the bones
with an accpetable bulge.
I may end up doing the exact same thing.
These GY's are sticky as hell...Im living in Florida..and at low speed
you can here the sound of the sand being picked up and thrown into
the wheel wells...could live with it I suppose if the sticky-ness translated into
better traction.
Keep us updated on your opinon about the traction with the Michelins.

Users who are viewing this thread