Had Clutch Failure in your 13? Check in here:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
There has been some isolated response to clutch failures on this forum. While the vast majority have had no issues. There have been some issues.

A few of us have been trying to draw a correlation to the build months- to see if there was in fact a bad batch of clutches .

This could of course- mean absolutely nothing as these clutches could have been mixed in with others, but hey, let's give it a shot.

Year, 13/14:
Build Date:
Mileage with clutch failure:
Heavy Pedal, Y or N?
Pedal sticking down low, Y or N?
Pedal sticking up high, Y or N?
Covered under warranty, Y or N?
Modified, Y or N? If Y- what mods.
Dragstrip? If so- how many passes?

Remember this is for 13/14 GT500 only.

Let's try to keep chatter to a minimum. There are many "chat" threads about clutches.

Last edited:

Planeswalker

Established Member
Year, 13/14: 2013
Build Date: Oct 25th
Mileage with clutch failure: 2300
Heavy Pedal, Y or N? Yes, once clutch slipped
Pedal sticking down low, Y or N? No
Pedal sticking up high, Y or N? No
Covered under warranty, Y or N? No
Modified, Y or N? If Y- what mods. Yes- 93Tune, 3.73s, JLT CAI, Lethal O/R X-pipe, FRPP SCJ Mono Blade Throttle Body, Rear Wheels Widened to 11' with 315/35/20 NT05Rs.
Dragstrip? If so- how many passes? Used launch control, failed on 2nd time.

Last edited:

USV8PWR

Established Member
Build Date: Oct 25th
Mileage with clutch failure: 2300
Heavy Pedal, Y or N? Yes, once clutch slipped
Covered under warranty, Y or N? Will update

Clutch failure before or after your performance mods? :dw:

mullens

Established Member
Should we even include cars with mods? It changes the whole dynamic. I thought we were talking about stock cars here.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Should we even include cars with mods? It changes the whole dynamic. I thought we were talking about stock cars here.

I think its ok to include. Most guys have simple bolt ons, these clutches should be withstanding that. It it is in fact a bad batch, then it would not matter because the clutch would have failed anyway. Plus we can get a number to see how many of each are going bad, stock vs modded.

Aero7

Established Member
Year, 13/14: 2013 (Stock)
Build Date: December 6th
Mileage with clutch failure: 1800 to 2000
Heavy Pedal, Y or N? No.
Pedal sticking down low, Y or N? No, but sometimes slow to return.
Pedal sticking up high, Y or N? Yes, and sometimes slow to return.
Covered under warranty, Y or N? Supposed to be.

Last edited:

91svtbird

Established Member

+1 I agree. Once it's modified and then raced especially with DR's or slicks the dynamic affects are completely different than with a stock set up.
If you want to get a more accurate picture regarding a possible bad batch of clutches your data should be limited to a stock vehicle or at least separate the data into two groups IMO.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
If you want to get a more accurate picture regarding a possible bad batch of clutches your data should be limited to a stock vehicle or at least separate the data into two groups IMO.

Once a list is compiled I will do so

MrUnsubtleNinja

Established Member
Build Date: May 25, 2012
Mileage with clutch failure: 2000ish KM (1242 Miles or So)
Heavy Pedal, Y or N? Yes and from the Day I picked it up. Even the Salesperson that drove it off the truck commented that he nearly stalled it because of the heavy pedal.
Covered under warranty, Y or N? Yes
Modified, Y or N? No

Bllit11

Established Member
Year 13/14 :13
Build date July 6th 2012
Pedal soft smelled clutch wouldn't return to the top of it's travel.
I had to pay ford payed 1/2
stock.

Njtony

Established Member
Year, 13/14:2013
Build Date: 5 or 6/2013
Mileage with clutch failure:6000
Heavy Pedal, Y or N? Yes after clutch started slipping
Pedal sticking down low, Y or N?stuck down once
Covered under warranty, Y or N?yes
Modified, Y or N? If Y- what mods. None except dr's

Planeswalker

Established Member
I think its ok to include. Most guys have simple bolt ons, these clutches should be withstanding that. It it is in fact a bad batch, then it would not matter because the clutch would have failed anyway. Plus we can get a number to see how many of each are going bad, stock vs modded.

I have to agree here. The 5.0 GTs are easily putting down 600RWHP on stock engine, trans, and clutch. The 5.0s are adding over 40% HP to the rear wheels and walking all over Shelby's with their cars on DRs. BUT we can't add 10-12% without major component failure? Something is wrong when a $32k car is safer(to mod) and faster than the top of the line $55k car. Anybody that isn't a garage queen would have been better off buying a 2013 5.0 Auto and running low 10s with very little effort.

I'm going to replace my clutch out of my own pocket 100% with a Spec P-trim and continue to enjoy it. Not everybody that buys a Shelby can/wants to spend another $2800 for a clutch.

I know 4 people locally that own a 2013 GT500 and 3 of them have had clutch failures. Out of those 3 I am the only one that has posted about the failure on forums. If there is an issue hopefully it is figured out.

dotmpeg

Established Member
I have to agree here. The 5.0 GTs are easily putting down 600RWHP on stock engine, trans, and clutch. The 5.0s are adding over 40% HP to the rear wheels and walking all over Shelby's with their cars on DRs. BUT we can't add 10-12% without major component failure? Something is wrong when a $32k car is safer(to mod) and faster than the top of the line $55k car. Anybody that isn't a garage queen would have been better off buying a 2013 5.0 Auto and running low 10s with very little effort.

I'm going to replace my clutch out of my own pocket 100% with a Spec P-trim and continue to enjoy it. Not everybody that buys a Shelby can/wants to spend another $2800 for a clutch.

I know 4 people locally that own a 2013 GT500 and 3 of them have had clutch failures. Out of those 3 I am the only one that has posted about the failure on forums. If there is an issue hopefully it is figured out.

Was you denied warranty work? Or did you not even try because of your mods?

662HP631TQ

Established Member

Trade yours in immdiately that wa you can have EXACTLY what you actually want!

MNCobra

Established Member
do you think you should add a catagory for any car that was tracked? i would think that adds to the ware of the clutch...

Planeswalker

Established Member
Was you denied warranty work? Or did you not even try because of your mods?
I talked to the dealer and asked them what would happen with and without mods. With mods the warranty is voided, they can check for computer flashes and even one will void. Without mods the clutch is a wear item and will not be covered unless it can be proven that something failed, even then the clutch can not have "excessive wear".

Trade yours in immdiately that wa you can have EXACTLY what you actually want!

Wow what an informative post, your insight is amazing! I already have two new 5.0 Mustangs, why do you think I know what they will hold up to?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Guys- can we try to keep this just about the original post?

There are many clutch chat threads

Users who are viewing this thread