Rear Differential Noise

Anarchy

Established Member
A while back I posted some questions about rear end noise. She is 10 months old and has approximately 2700 miles on her. When I picked her up over 10 months ago the rear diff was very quiet. At about 1000 miles I started to hear a whine from the rear. I read some posted remarks on this subject and did read mixed postings.
Well about two weeks ago, I smelled what appeared to be burning brakes after revving through the gears and shutting her off. I called my service dealer and they said bring it in. They ran some tests and because I said the master cylinder was leaking from time to time I said maybe the clutch is slipping.

After a few days they called me and said clutch functions correctly and the master cylinder was too full. Because I also mentioned rear diff noise they said they would check this as well. The SVT master mechanic immediately called and said not normal and because I own an 11 GT 500 I don't hear what this 500 is sounding like.

Well they called Ford and they said not so and so it makes a little noise. The service writer said no way. They went back and forth and Ford finally said we will get you new parts. A week goes by and the dealer said not only is it a new part number they don't have pricing for them.

They finally got the new parts and installed them. The old parts apparently were not shimmed correctly causing a bad wear pattern. Low and behold they set up the gears and installed all new parts in the housing.

An immediate drive told me this is how it should sound dead quiet. I was so focusing on the whine previously that I never really heard the exhaust note. My service writer said this is more than likely going to become a service bulletin and it usually takes a well documented first person to complain, who knows about that.

But none the less I am pleased with the dedication, service and end result from my service dealer.

I thought I post this for anyone that may be still having that problem and wanted to hear my current results. I will monitor and see how the rear diff does over her next miles.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I am glad you have a service center that went to bat for you. My local one told me to pound sand after Ford denied anything was wrong. The gears won't go bad but the whine is certainly not normal. I will eventually go to a different dealer or just wait for a service bulletin that might never come. I actually have a copy of the letter ford sent back saying the whine was "normal of the car, and was being made worse by me lowering the car" needless to say I was not amused.

Glad you got taken care of, you are not the first to have the whine issue and they usually appear once the car is broken in. (mine started around 1000 miles also)

mullens

Established Member
This has been going on for a while. My 2010 had the pinion and carrier bearings replaced at 3k. Same symptoms. I don't know what it is about these rear ends that's so difficult.

BSP

Established Member
I took mine in back in November and the dealer acknowledged the rear was making noise. The service manager said they would fix it,I just wasn't ready to let them tear into it at the time. If they have a new part number maybe its time to take it back in.

lvxlr8n

Established Member
Mustangs aren't the only Fords with rear end problems. I have a 2003 Ford Explorer that has had the rear replaced 3 times in 186,000 Miles. The ring and pinion wear each other out which then starts making noise. I honestly think the quality of the metal is why they are "wearing out"

Anarchy

Established Member
I am sure not the only Ford product or for that matter car manufacturer. I know this one was noisy and I am not sure if it's common or an issue with the 13's but it's quiet right now. Future will tell if the dealer did a good job and the parts are sound.

Myfast70

Established Member
1400 miles any no whine yet... I hope it stays that way.

I did hear earlier last year that with the extra power of the '13 and the 3.31 gear that Ford was considering a different center section as they were having problems with distortion during testing. Not sure how true it was, just a rumor

03reptile

Established Member
I had the issue, as well. (read my past posts). My problem was a spun carrier bearing in the rear end, causing a mis-alignment of the ring and pinion=whine. This was repaired and after a trip back and forth to Florida, it's quiet. I'm postulating that a batch of faulty rear axles came from the vendor, with issues. Mine's a mid summer (6/2012) build date. If you have your R&P checked by Ford, make sure they carefully examine all carrier bearings for signs of spinning in their pressed positions.

Last edited:

NvrEnfHP

Established Member
3200 miles and mine has started to whine as well. most noticable at about 55 and on the pedal. take your foot off and it starts to fade away.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
3200 miles and mine has started to whine as well. most noticable at about 55 and on the pedal. take your foot off and it starts to fade away.

yeap thats the common speed and result, its usually on throttle and goes away on decel.

Anarchy

Established Member
Same thing I had with less miles and very noticeable at about 1k miles. None existent at this point after replacement parts. Strangely the drone of the wind in my opinion drowned out the SC and exhaust note. Now no drone from the whine, yes that noisy.

Anarchy

Established Member
Update. So early this week after picking her up last Saturday I decided to take her for a ride. Only a short one when I started smelling a strong odor of gear lube. Parked her in the garage and started to see a small puddle under the diff. Apparently the dealer said they followed Fords process and it was a quart over spilling out of the vent. ???? So they got it what they say is the right level and all is leak free now! Also been complaining about the master cylinder leaking and they said it now appears to have been the cap and they replaced it. Picking her up today so time will tell again!

Snoopy49

Established Member
Anarchy,
Do you have the track pack option?

From the 2013 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement - Page 43

For vehicles with a cooler, the axle pump must be running to perform the service refill.​

Fill 1/4-9/16 inch (6-14 millimeters) below bottom of fill hole.

Last edited:

Anarchy

Established Member
Yes has track pack drove her home and a bit tonight and seems fine. No leaks or gear lube smell. Did not ask but svt tech said followed fords process and said was about 1 quart over.

Users who are viewing this thread