clutch spring mod: now wont start

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
And theres a squeak for the first 75% of depress motion and the same as I release.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, who else has experienced this?

The clutch isn't completely depressing the switch behind the pedal when I go to start the car. Making sure I was out of gear and the brake on I pushed the button in and turned the key and it starts. Did something fall off during the spring removal?

Snoopy49

Established Member
Check and see if the rubber bumper is still installed in the clutch pedal.

ClutchInterlockSwitch2_zps4d1f88ab.gif

Snoopy49

Established Member
When you get it fixed, you should take it out for a drive and engage the cruise control and make sure it disengages when you depress the clutch pedal. This will make sure the cruise control switch wasn't damaged in the spring removal process.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I drove it out to my in-laws, about 4 miles, and I love the sharpness of the engagement and release.

I didnt happen to try the cruise control, but will on way home.

my question though is why did nobody else have this issue. The grommet labeled in the picture clearly pushes against the switch\plunger, but just isnt going in far enough to allow the car to start.

I pulled the switch off and repositioned it again with no luck.

Hoping someone will chime in with some point of reference for a fix or adjustment.

Snoopy49

Established Member
There was at least one person who had a start problem like yours and it was because the rubber bumper had fallen off. Is it possible that the carpeting is keeping the pedal from going far enough to engage the switch?

Are you sure you are looking at the right rubber bumper, there is one up at the top for the cruise control, the switch you removed, and the lower one, shown in the last picture I posted, for the starter?

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
The tab the rubber piece is through? That would change the engagement point though woulldnt it?

Snoopy49

Established Member
Just the engagement point of the switch, not the clutch. Personally I would try to find out what caused the problem and correct it, but you won't do any harm by slightly bending the tab. If you later find something that is getting between the clutch pedal arm and it's stop, you will need to check the start switch and make sure it is not being bottomed out, this could damage the switch.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I can snag a few pics later today but im not seeing anything obstructing. Clutch goes clear down all the way but wont press switch in far enough. I push it in with my finger and turn key and it fires right up

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Which one is the start switch? The one we are discussing that the rubber tab compresses?

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Alright, everything with the cruise control is okie dokie, and there is nothing that I can make out anywhere suggesting that there is interference in clutch travel.

I was able to get the car to start with the clutch engaged on its own a couple times, but it requires a significant amount more pressure than it did previously. I don't know if that is something normal that I missed somewhere?

I looked at the 'clutch interlock switch' both with it compressed by finger, and with the clutch engaged on top of it and it appears to be extending out of the housing the same amount both ways. I took the switch out again, and disconnected it from the connection as well and noticed there is a small round 'button' on the back that can be compressed in hand. But there is nothing against it while installed in the car. Does that serve a purpose?

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Lol yea

I can push the clutch down from about anywhere position wise but even up close there is a significant oomph required to get it to start.

ill hunt again this evening and see if I missed some mystery carpet somewhere, but its a super super small margin thats stopping it.

I might resort to a layer of tape or a round stick on velcro piece to bridge that tiny distance.

That small of a distance from 100% engagement wouldnt affect anything in normal or spirited driving would it? Nobody engages the clutch 100% except on start up anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread