Digital Speed Read Out

svt 500

Established Member
How many of you have tried out the digital speed odometer in the center display?

twawsico

Established Member
I tried the digital speedo once just to see it. I can't remember the secret decoder ring sequence to get to it and the other diagnostic info... press and hold before start, hit button 18 times... up, down, left, left, down lol

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Never heard of it, please post how to get to that display. The speedo going to 220 is nice, but it is hard to read at a quick glance sometimes.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Not sure if this is right, but I found this on another forum.

I read about engineering test mode for previous model year Mustangs, and figured that it should work on a 2013 also. So I gave it a try, and it worked. It should be noted that this info is available on another post for 2012 and earlier (do a search if you want to see it). I'm guessing the 2013 without the LCD will work just like previous years.

Just press and hold the OK button in the middle of the 5 way button on the left side of the wheel. Turn the ignition to on (you can start it or just put it to on without cranking it). After about 2 seconds, "ENGINEERING TEST MODE" will pop up in the LCD. Release the OK button when you see "ENGINEERING TEST MODE".

The first thing that will pop up is a gauge test that will move all of your dials. You can flip through all of the available screens by repeatedly pressing OK. The first press of OK (after you initially let it go) is a color test of the LCD, so don't let that freak you out. After the initial release, 19 presses will get you to the VEHICLE SPEED screen.

Again, I haven't tried this so I'm not sure it works or not.

kokodeathcookie

Established Member
Confirmed, holding the OK button as stated above will get you into "ENGINEERING TEST MODE" where there is a digital speed odometer and a digital tachometer and a ton of other stuff.

Last edited:

twawsico

Established Member
+1 This is what I had found earlier and it does work. Too much effort, IMO, to use regularly though.

I use an Aeroforce gauge to get the digital speedo and tach readout.

freakshow12

Established Member
That's cool! I gotta try it now. There are so many gizmos to play with on this car I blows my mind. I usually check the air temp and some days it's freaking hot! No wonder it feels soggy sometimes

DougM

Established Member
I'm new to the car - just got mine last Thursday (still have plastic on the interior! - need to stop working and get out in the garage). Would a tune be something that could expose this outside of the test mode or are tunes only for engine management type of stuff?

Blue Snake

SLACKER Poster
Established Member
I'm new to the car - just got mine last Thursday (still have plastic on the interior! - need to stop working and get out in the garage). Would a tune be something that could expose this outside of the test mode or are tunes only for engine management type of stuff?
Pick up an Aeroforce gauge it will show it and many other things.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
i use to do this with my 04 mach 1. Gives you a bunch of different readings

Yes, been there since 99 received the digital odometer. On the 99-04, You press and hold the reset button while turning the key into the run position. It would read test the gauges would do a full sweep, check all lights on dash and then you can toggle through all the items OBDII reads. It was cool back then, still cool now.

But when we talk about digital read outs it reminds me of Vette owners complaining about the digital gauges in the C4s being hard to read. So the C5s received analog gauges instead but in the HUD it was still digital.

Last edited:

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Wow, that is new info!

On the Raptor, I found out how to get into the diagnostic mode if you have the navigation option. Hold down the presets 3 and 6 at the same time for 3 seconds or so. You get cool stuff in that menu, and it also gives you current altitude. Kinda cool. I use it mainly for when my sync goes haywire and locks up. Its an easy way to reset the system without cycling the car. You must be stopped to do it.

dajohu

Established Member
After reading more on another forum, I take it that this is only for 10+ models? I sure couldn't figure it out if it works on my 09. I did find out that it works great on my 12 F150 though:banana:

However, I did find another neat "hidden" feature. If you have the factory GPS, and hold have the ignition turned on, hold down the 3 & 6 keys and you'll enter a diagnostic mode. It does a speaker channel test (warning it was loud!), can show GPS and radio signals, touchscreen test and color test.

Arguable the most useful feature is the ability to read DTC codes and clear them. I carry my programmer with me anyway that can read codes, but it's still neat feature.

***Doh! Beat to the punch by dubbsfaris!!! I took too long running back and forth to garage testing both vehicles!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread