Violent Steering Wheel Shake Under Heavy Braking

Rafic

Established Member
Hi there,

I've been experiencing a very violent steering wheel shake under high speed heavy braking.

Here's the history so far, around the 1000 miles mark, a knocking sound developed while steering left/right standing still. It turned out to be a faulty steering box. The dealer replaced it under warranty.

Around the 3000 miles mark, I started experiencing a sever steering wheel shake under heavy braking. The shake becomes more pronounced with the steering wheel slightly turned to either side or if theres the smallest pot hole or crevice in the road, all the while under heavy braking.

The dealer checked the car and said the rotors need resurfacing and they performed the hydro bushing TSB as well. And they did a complete wheel alignment.

I just picked her up, lo and behold, the shake is still there. I didnt have the time to turn back and drop it off again because of work.

I'm starting to feel the stealership are not figuring out what's the source of the problem!

Can you guys please throw in you opinions as what might be causing this shake. Here's a video to better illustrate the shake:

[youtube_browser]79a3P9AnZc4[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Rafic

Established Member
Looks like you need new rotors, to me.

I'm leaning towards that also. But could it be that the EPAS - Electric Power-Assisted Steering - is acting up in some weird way?? I read on some posts that there was a TSB for 2011 GT500s where the EPAS PCM needed to be reflashed. could this be a somewhat similar issue.

I dont want the dealership trying out different theories and keep taking the front end apart if you know what i mean.

Last edited:

USV8PWR

Established Member
I'm leaning towards that also. But could it be that the EPAS - Electric Power-Assisted Steering - is acting up in some weird way?? I read on some posts that there was a TSB for 2011 GT500s where the EPAS PCM needed to be reflashed. could this be a somewhat similar issue.

I dont want the dealership trying out different theories and keep taking the front end apart if you know what i mean.

IMO, as said above it is definitely the rotors. Were you really hard on them before they had a chance to break in/set? If the rotors get hot (and I bet it is hot over there!) they they will warp. And turning rotors on a car as heavy and built for speed as this isn't a good idea as they will just quickly warp again. Turning the rotors means shaving off some of their metal and making them smooth again, which makes them thinner, and thus even easier to heat up. While turning rotors on a basic sedan may work, a car like this is which is expected to make very abrupt and repeatable high speed stops will get to hot for turning the rotors to be an option.

See if you can get some new rotors (and have them replace the pads if they will too).

Btw...your post above regarding the black 2013 totaled Shelby helps prove my other thread (the future collectibility of these cars) and the extreme likelihood that the ones sent overseas will never be seen again in the American market. Do you have the VIN per chance on the totaled one?? Anyway, take car of you car man and you will never lose any of that $115K you paid for it over there! :beer:

railroad

Established Member
I going to bet it is not the rotors. That is the same conclusion the dealer came to. Unless he did not have them mounted true on the lathe when he turned them, they have already been turned. I think they need to go back to the steering box and related components. Without hands on, my opinion is just that. Have them raise the front and turn the wheels by hand. If the rotors are bad, you will feel the drag change. I would check both sides.

SlowVert

Established Member
I've had the same issue with my Infiniti G35S.... the big rotors seem to warp real easy/fast and once they warp, they are done - even cutting them is a short temporary fix. When the car was still under warranty the dealer kept cutting them each time I brought it in until they finally had to replaced them (2x). Seems like that car warps rotors every 4-5K.

I'm on my third set with 35K on the car and it's our "family" car so no real beating on it. I've noticed it starting again... At speeds lower than 60-65 it's just fine. If you're doing 80-85 and step lightly on the brake you get the dreaded wheel shake.

J.

Kapy

Established Member
Sounds like multiple things might be in play here.

I think from what I am reading it is probably more likely to be the rotors.

But I also would not discount the fact since the steering box was replaced did they re torque necessary fasteners at the specified torque values?

I have seen many vehicles especially that needed collision repairs, transmission replacements, major suspension replacement, subframe replacement etc., and at times techs just throw the air gun on the components to torque instead of taking the time to do the job right and torque to spec with a precise torque wrench. I have witnessed many times major repairs like this and most techs do not take the time to do properly as they are always trying to beat the clock. Sad, but true.

So this leads to over torquing or under torquing of critical fastener values all the time. Which in turn causes dramatic issues in containing vibration, noise and chassis control.

I would go to the rotors first. If that doesn't work I would demand that the dealership put a highly trained tech on the car to retorque all front end components to correct specifications and go from there.

PLATIADO

Established Member
(THIS) But could it be that the EPAS - Electric Power-Assisted Steering - is acting up in some weird way?? I read on some posts that there was a TSB for 2011 GT500s where the EPAS PCM needed to be reflashed.

04SVTMystic