Blower Advice Whipple 3.4 or 4.0

dntalman

Yella Terra
Established Member
for the past several months I have been building my Cobra. It will be a street car but will see more track time than street.. I plan on this race season running the stock long block. I want to get the blower for stroker motor that will go in this winter. Here is a list of the mods that will be on the car with the new blower... Would you run the 3.4 or the 4.0.... I do not want to run anything other than a Whipple or KB.. The car will be tuned on E85. I cannot find anyone running the 4.0 on a terminator yet... thinking about pulling the trigger on the 4.0.. Just wanting some feedback from SVTP..Thanks..

Fuel System
Glenns Performance 1700hp fuel system
Fore Fuel rails
Bosch 105lb

Exhaust
Mac 1 3/4" long tubes
3" X-pipe
Borla Stinger Catback

Trans
Lentech strip 4R70w
Lentech 9" custom stall 3500rpm

Front Suspension
AJE Tubular K-member
90/10 Lakewood Struts with Coilover front suspension

Rear Suspension
SRA 8.8
Auburn Locker
31 Spline axles
Metco adjustable uppers
Maximum Motorsports Severe duty Lowers
Baseline Suspension anti-roll bar

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Kinda worried about it being a overkill. Would love to hear from someone running the 4.0

I believe Herman of Horsepower by Herman is doing a 4.0 Whipple Terminator.

I can't remember if it was his or a customer's.

I would say you could forget about 93 octane if you get the 4.0, where as the 3.4 could still be pullied down to that octane level.
May be a mute point though, since E85 is fairly easy to get lately.

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
There was a member installing a 4.0L Whipple but never updated the thread with a completed install or results. Don't know if he ever finished it yet?

Ironhand

Banned
Unless you plan on running 30psi on a stroker motor full time then the 3.4 will be more then enough.

305Terminator

Established Member
If your going big why step down on the blower? I dont think it would be overkill, overkill would be buying a 1700hp fuel system for a 3.4 whipple. Just me .02...

dntalman

Yella Terra
Established Member
Going with the 3.4 whipple. Spoke with a tech at Whipple today. He adviced me that the 4.0 Whipple would make 32lbs of boost with a 4" pulley and stock lower.. He said that it would need to be a all out drag set up with a built motor underneath the big 4.0... He said that the 2.9 would go 1,000hp at the crank with a heavy built motor, but would have the best for a daily driver... And the 3.4 is the best for a race/limited street car.

Rich11

Established Member
I believe Herman of Horsepower by Herman is doing a 4.0 Whipple Terminator.

I can't remember if it was his or a customer's.

I would say you could forget about 93 octane if you get the 4.0, where as the 3.4 could still be pullied down to that octane level.
May be a mute point though, since E85 is fairly easy to get lately.

Yup Hermann is in the process of building a 4.0 whippled Cobra.

Garrett114

MeauxPower
Established Member
I have a 3.4 and with a 4.0 pully it made 16psi on a stock motor a 4.0 whipple makes 4 more psi than a 3.4 with the same pully setup so it can be done on a stock motor and some race gas In my opinion I would go 4.0 if your building a car more for the strip with a built motor in the future with both blowers turned up a 4.0 will make 60-80 more RWHP then a 3.4 and when racing every hp counts plus the bigger blower will have lower iat if u turn it down and bracket race

dntalman

Yella Terra
Established Member
I put the Cobra on the back burner messing with my 93. I am back on track with the build now. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the 4.0 and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread