Marketing ploy or truth - Vortech

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I don't know when this article was written, but I was looking for some information on the Vortech website and came across it. I references an article written in April 2012, so it has to be at least that recent.

Here's the article:

Roots Superchargers vs Centri Superchargers

Now, I know Vortech primarily deals with centri units, so it would seem to me like this article would be written with a certain amount of bias toward centri blowers. In short, the article explains why centri blowers are so much better than roots blowers, and I'm just not sure how much of it has been exaggerated, how much is outdated, or if in fact the article is true.

Wanting to get your opinions. As a Vortech owner myself, I love my blower, but I can say for certain those positive displacement s/c out there make amazing power, especially off the line and there's something to be said for not having to play catch up.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
My understanding is the roots type (Eaton) is one of the less efficient blowers. And it's different then a twin screw (Whipple, KB). I only skimmed the article, but most of what I saw abotu efficiency and heat seems to coincide with what I've learned over the years. Twin screws are a different story though. And Vortech does make a twin screw. I think it has Lysholm rotors in it.

PapaRich

Established Member
My understanding is the roots type (Eaton) is one of the less efficient blowers. And it's different then a twin screw (Whipple, KB). I only skimmed the article, but most of what I saw abotu efficiency and heat seems to coincide with what I've learned over the years. Twin screws are a different story though. And Vortech does make a twin screw. I think it has Lysholm rotors in it.

Hi guys , Vortech does make a TwinScrew "Lysholm Twin-Screw 3300AX"
I have one on my 2009 Shelby GT500 , I'm new to the technology of my 3300 and the SVT Forums as well - Hello to all ! & looking foward to being a member of the forum , doing alot of research as of late and getting to know my ride :thumbsup:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
As you can imagine the article certainly has a slant on things. The items they sight in the article have the politicians type spin on things. A statement can be "true" without being entirely accurate and misleading. The article started out pretty much true then went into opinion then to a few red herrings.

Roots offers better fuel efficiency is another item that manufactures prefer over say screw blowers. Because there is no compression or heating of the air under closed or part throttle operation it has less parasitic drag at that point. Roots also offer more torque at lower RPMs. Which some say is good or bad depending on your wants/needs. Centrifugal Superchargers don't make peak boost until near redline. Centrifugal SCs will generally make more peak power. Centrifugals can be built with more compression and more timing to make up some of the low end deficit because they move low amounts of air at lower RPMs where dwell time at top dead center is longer making the chance of detonation higher on high cylinder pressure applications.

Each power adder has its pluses and minuses. Each have their firm believers.
The Screw blowers(Whipple, Kenne Bell, Vortech ect)
The Roots blowers(Eaton, BDS, Magnuson ect)
Centrifugal blowers(Paxton, vortech, procharger ect)

I've used all three types of Superchargers. They all had Pros/Cons in every application. A person must take everything they read from a manufacturer, company, salesmen, Internet forum, and individual's experience with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

02blownGT

Established Member
LOL at that article.

By now most of use know the truths and myths about different blowers.

Why post anything if thats all you have to say?

I like roots blowers for street use.But centris are more consistent in my experience,due i think to heat soak issues.The one downfall i have seen over and over on centris is the wrong gear selection(rear end) and running too low of compression on moderate to low boost setups.I just skimmed the article but it seemed mostly legit.I havent found a blower setup i like more than a properly setup up centri.

Users who are viewing this thread