Problem with my Torsen T2R.

03'Darin

Established Member
I've been running a Torsen T2R now for about 2 years. I just recently started getting a noise out of the rear end. I'm pretty sure it's from the Torsen unit. When I make a hard turn (right or left) pulling out from a stop I get what sounds like a gear whine. It usually happens after some sprited street driving, when I come to a stop and go to pull out around a corner I'll get the noise. It's actually pretty loud when it does happen. It's only done it a couple of times now, but I know it's not something that will fix itself. Any of you guys have any experience with this? My plan is to call the place I bought it from and see what they have to say, I just haven't had time to do that yet.

Darin

03'Darin said:
I've been running a Torsen T2R now for about 2 years. I just recently started getting a noise out of the rear end. I'm pretty sure it's from the Torsen unit. When I make a hard turn (right or left) pulling out from a stop I get what sounds like a gear whine. It usually happens after some sprited street driving, when I come to a stop and go to pull out around a corner I'll get the noise. It's actually pretty loud when it does happen. It's only done it a couple of times now, but I know it's not something that will fix itself. Any of you guys have any experience with this? My plan is to call the place I bought it from and see what they have to say, I just haven't had time to do that yet.

Darin

I never read anything regarding the T2R being a good diff. choice for a car with your power numbers bro.

03'Darin

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
I never read anything regarding the T2R being a good diff. choice for a car with your power numbers bro.

I've never seen a listed hp rating for the diff but the general consensus when I was researching which unit to buy was that it shoudle be fine up to about 500 hp. I really don't do any hard launches with the car which is what everyone seemed to feel was the down fall of them.

JoeJ

Established Member
I have been running the Torsen T2R in my 2000 R since 2000 with no problems. (Approx 12000 track miles) It is a fantastic limited slip as I know a bunch of guys on here will attest to.

03'Darin

Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
Have you checked your fluid level?

Sounds like it could also be a pinion bearing going bad......

I just filled the diff when I put the car back together last winter. Nothing has leaked out so I would assume it's full. Would a pinion bearing only make noise when I turn the corner?

Darin

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Darin:

Two questions:

Are you running a diff cooler?

How often do you change your fluid?

What type of fluid are you running?!

PS I know that's three. Just want to keep you on your toes??! :poke:

03'Darin

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Darin:

Two questions:

Are you running a diff cooler?

How often do you change your fluid?

What type of fluid are you running?!

PS I know that's three. Just want to keep you on your toes??! :poke:

- Yes I have a diff cooler. I installed it last winter, which is when I filled the diff last. I have not checked the fluid level since I installed The diff cooler. I've only run 2-3,000 miles since the install.

- The fluid has been changed twice in 12,000 miles

- I run the Ford fluid that the car calls for. You know, the crap that is like $17 a quart.

Darin

93SVTCobra

Established Member
How much fluid did you add?

How does it circulate fluid?

Is the pump on when this phenomenon occurs?

03'Darin

Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
How much fluid did you add?

How does it circulate fluid?

Is the pump on when this phenomenon occurs?

With the pump, lines and cooler it takes some where around and additonal quart (I don't remember exactly). I run the pump with the fill plug out and keep adding fluid through the fill plug until it runs out. I installed a bung for a temp sensor, but never installed the sensor or gauge. I figure it has to be running cooler than the two years I ran without a cooler. :-D

The fluid circulates from a draw line in the bottom of the diff, to the cooler, through the pump and back to the diff through the return line in the top of the diff.

I don't know if the noise occurs when the pump is on. I've only heard the noise twice and both times were on the street. I only run the pump at the track.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Wheel bearings will get louder on a turn...(when bad)

They have been known to growl similar to gear noise sometimes.

Perhaps a bad rear wheel bearing???

Does it feel weird when turning the wheels when up on jack stands?

Going by odds... and what is common...

Wheel bearings are right up there...
Then ring and pinions, pinion bearings and carrier bearings...

Are you running any poly bushings back there near the diff???(they have been known to get soft and deform and can allow metal to metal contact... which would transmit some gear noise...)

Just some ideas...:shrug:

The Torsen T2R has established a SUPER reputation... I will be surprised if it turns out to be the problem.

There are some HCMFs (HARD CHARGING M***** F****ers) running that diff with lots of really hard track miles on them.... Joe, Andy, etc.. just rave reviews that I've seen so far.

I sure hope you don't have one going bad!!!:(

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I'd check your fluid then and see if there is any metal shavings in it.

As Jimmy said I'd also check wheel bearings because many times they are tightened to the full 250 ft lbs and they do loosen up.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Darin:

Sounds like you should pull your cover and have a look see? If you're running any type of screen type filter cartridge, check it for shavings.

Change the fluid. When you fill, make sure you put warm fluid in and circulate it to make sure all of the air is out of the lines and heat exchanger. I think the Ford stuff is ok, but I'd prefer Amsoil or Royal Purple? But that's just me?

If the fluid change and refill doesn't do it then you'll obviously need to get deeper into it! :shrug:

03'Darin

Established Member
Unfortunately I didn't put a filter or screen in when I put the diff cooler in. I was concerned about pumping diff fluid through a filter.

I haven't checked anything yet. My fuel tank is actually leaking when the tank is full (which I just did recently) so I'm trying to run the tank down before I jack the car up and start the work.

I'm running the full IRS bushing package from our trust track dawgs here on SVTP. :beer: I believe the front diff bushings are aluminum and the rear cover bushing is some sort of composite???

When I get the car on stands I'll check the wheel bearings and hubs also.

I inspected the carrier bearings pretty closely last winter when I put the diff cooler on and they looked like new (that was last winter of course).

I've only ever seen great things posted about the T2R so I'm sure if it is the unit I just had some bad luck. I'm thoroughly please with the way the unit works. I've run everything from a packed up stock limited slip to and Auburn to a mini spool to the T2R and the T2R gets my vote hands down.

My plan is to pull the center section out of the car to find out what the problem is (if it's not wheel bearings). That may be a little while though. We are rapidly closing in on winter and I'd like to drive the car a little more in this cool weather before I put it up on jack stands till spring. lol Obviously if the noise gets worse the car will be on stands much sooner.

Darin

93SVTCobra

Established Member
If the wheel bearing is going bad you should just be able to shake the wheel when the car is on the ground and listen for the clunking noise.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
I would check the play in your CV-Joints....Maybe swap the axles from left to right and see if the noise goes away.:shrug:

03'Darin

Established Member
What's weird about the noise is that it only does it after I have been doing some spirited driving. Usally after I spin the tires or slide it through a corner, but not right after, sometimes it may be 10 miles down the road when it does it. :shrug: I probably won't have time to mess with the rear for another week or two. Until then, if it quits raining here, I need to drive it and use that fuel up.

Darin

03'Darin

Established Member
I drove the car to work this morning. The noise only happens when I pull out making a very sharp right hand turn. It doesn't do it on left hand turns. :shrug:

03'Darin

Established Member
I checked the fluid level and it's fine. The differential does seem to have more back lash than it should. With the car on a lift if I take the drive shaft and rotate it left to right there seems to be way more free play than there should be. I haven't had time to do anything else beyond that.

The rear doesn't make noise unless I have just got done running the car hard and make a very sharp turn while pulling out. :shrug:

I'll probably find out next Friday if it's a critical problem or not. I signed up to run a FATT at Summit next Friday (weather permitting of course. lol). If it holds up through that I'll be tearing the diff out over the winter and going through everything.

Darin

Users who are viewing this thread