Grundy Insurance

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Guys,

I am really close to switching insurance companies and wanted to get any input any of you have with Grundy.

Presently, I am with Heacock who just changed my carrier. My present policy has a mileage limit (which I never reach anyway) but is pretty restrictive on use.

With Grundy, they are allowing me more flexibility to take the car out for dinner, simple weekend drive or a short errand.

Policy is agreed value and premium is nearly identical to Heacock.

Any comments???

Tom

kevin

Guys,

I am really close to switching insurance companies and wanted to get any input any of you have with Grundy.

Presently, I am with Heacock who just changed my carrier. My present policy has a mileage limit (which I never reach anyway) but is pretty restrictive on use.

With Grundy, they are allowing me more flexibility to take the car out for dinner, simple weekend drive or a short errand.

Any comments???

Tom

yea, sell the car, toss the insurance, ride a bicycle:beer:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
HAR, HAR, HAR. With friends like you guys, who needs enemies!

Anyone other than the peanut gallery have any experience with Grundy?

Tom

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
im pretty close to switching to grundy. through geico i think my car is worth bluebook and i get nervous everytime i pull it out for a spin. My dad has grundy for his 67 shelby cobra and his almost finished 70 plymouth gtx will also be on it. My dads friend who has a couple hundred thou tied up in like 4 cars uses grundy. I think they told me they have to stay under 5k. I stay under 5k miles anyway so i stay under emissions exempt. appaerently they insure your car for whatever you think its worth too lol

65SC

Established Member
call Rachel, tell her Paul sent you. Better then all the rest.

Rachel R. Miller
Servicing Agent Of
The Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Ins.
The Delp Company
1440 Arrowhead Drive
Maumee, Ohio 43537
Direct Phone: 419-794-1083
Direct Fax: 419-794-1083
Email: [email protected]

svt2205

Established Member
Tom

Grundy is a good choice. Heck, I had Heacock for years but this year they or their under writter never sent me a bill and ultimately cancelled my policy. After a couple rounds of phone tag, I opted to try Grundy. They have been great to deal with although my only involvement was setting up my new policy.

I dealt with Krystyn, [email protected] and she had my coverage in place very quickly.

I think you'll be happy with the change. Heck, they'll even allow, if you inform them in the application, coverage for driving to/from work occasionally. Heacock flat out told me, drive to work or errands, have an accident and you're on your own.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I had Parish Heacock back starting in 1993 with my 93 Cobra then the 93R and the 95R. I switched over to Grundy in 2000 and have used them ever since. The big plus with Grundy is not having to keep up on the miles. But they still want the car garage kept and no leaving the car unattended at malls or similar. I have been happy with them.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I think you'll be happy with the change. Heck, they'll even allow, if you inform them in the application, coverage for driving to/from work occasionally. Heacock flat out told me, drive to work or errands, have an accident and you're on your own.

Henry,

YES-same thing I was told by Heacock. This is exactly what I am wanting. I told her I would like to take the Cobra to work on an occasional Friday. She said no problem and that would be considered a pleasure drive. I downloaded all the paperwork and one page has two paragraphs. The first paragraph states the car is not to be used for driving to work or errands. I have emailed for clarification.

Where did you put the "occasional drive to work" in your application?

Thanks, Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
call Rachel, tell her Paul sent you. Better then all the rest.

Rachel R. Miller
Servicing Agent Of
The Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Ins.
The Delp Company
1440 Arrowhead Drive
Maumee, Ohio 43537
Direct Phone: 419-794-1083
Direct Fax: 419-794-1083
Email: [email protected]

Paul,

Do they allow you to drive the vehicle to work occasionally on a Friday? Any mileage limit? Stated value?

Thanks, Tom

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have had Grundy on my R for the past 3 years. I am not sure of every detail. But, they have been good to deal with. So far no claims, I hope it stays that way. The car does have to be garage kept. Which should be a given for any car we care about anyway. From what I can recall I am only supposed to drive it for shows and events, but I have not checked every bit of fine print. I only put about 700 miles a year on it anyway. The price is right. I pay about $450 a year for $33K stated value. The only thing I did not like was that I started with a $30K stated value. The next year they automatically raised it to 33. Which also raised my premium a little. But they have not done that since.

svt2205

Established Member
Henry,

YES-same thing I was told by Heacock. This is exactly what I am wanting. I told her I would like to take the Cobra to work on an occasional Friday. She said no problem and that would be considered a pleasure drive. I downloaded all the paperwork and one page has two paragraphs. The first paragraph states the car is not to be used for driving to work or errands. I have emailed for clarification.

Where did you put the "occasional drive to work" in your application?

Thanks, Tom

Tom

If I'm not too late (not on this site much these days), I put my request on the application on line number 17. I'm sure you could include a letter requesting this and you'll be fine.

Henry

Philcsag1

Established Member
Guys,

Any comments???

Tom

Tom

I think the important question is the answer to this, who has put a claim into either and how easy was it to collect?

I have never found any one who would discuss their claim or acknowledge they had put in a claim.

FYI , once the car reaches 15 years old, Heacock coverage is zero deductible

I realized that on last year policy when I asked why the 93 & 94 were zero and the 95 was not. Three cars cost me $830 @ year, that makes me smile

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I have five cars insured with Heacock (previously Heacock-Parish). It's a 500,000 liability, UM, and agreed value Comp and Collision with no deductible policy. The annual premium is $612 for all five cars.

I raced with Bill Parish in the 1990's. I know Ford Heacock. My agent at Heacock is in the same car club as me. I am not worried about getting a claim paid if it is within the contract terms and conditions.

I owned an insurance agency for about 20 years. Most of the companies that I have researched use ISO forms (since they are proven in a court of law). Then, each company has a few small differences (coverage and premium rating).

Heacock is a broker. They now use American Modern Home Insurance Company in Cincinnati, Ohio to underwrite the coverage. AMHIC's phone is 1-800-543-2644.

I have read my entire policy and understand the limitations. I have also read the other policies. The differences are minor, but a guy needs to pick the policy terms that suits their needs.

These are the important terms on my current policy:
  • It has to be stored in a secured location (i.g., no parking over night in the driveway).
  • The car cannot be used to drive to work ("drive your classic car to work" on Friday is not allowed).
  • You cannot leave the car unattended. These means that you cannot go to a mall and leave it in the parking lot for 4 hours while you shop. It does not mean that you can't go to the bathroom when taking it out for a drive.

It's unclear to me about the mileage. I gave them honest mileage use on each car. But I did not read any coverage exclusion on the actual policy for mileage over the limit.

Doc
CLU, ChFC, CPCU, CFA

flattrack53

Established Member
Any collector car insurance companies insure 20 year olds? Every company I have tried to call to insure my R is not wanting to touch me since I am not 25 years old...I guess I will be continuing to use my transporter tag???

Users who are viewing this thread