Best Shifter Upgrade

Nordy

Looking for a Terminator!
Established Member
What are the reccomendations on shifter upgrade?

I see MGW but really want to hear your opinions please.

Thanks

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
mgw seems to be the most popular amongst terminators, i have one myself and really like it but every now and then when i start the car, i have a hard time getting the shifter into 1st and 2nd. but this might just be because the tranny is cold.

GetBitBiatch

Is that your gf's car?
Established Member
I've always used the Steeda Tri-Ax. Some people don't seem to like it for some reason but I love it. I've had it in 3 Mustangs now without any problems. Some complain that it's not as easy to shift with as the MGW but I could never tell the difference. But I don't think you would be disappointed with either one.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
The three main points that sold me on the MGW: Stronger design, stronger centering springs, better adjustability.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I first bought a Tri-Ax. I had a Pro 5.0 in my 98 but back then, everyone raved about the Steeda shifter.

It was a very good shifter, and the MGW adjustable handle seemed to help. Then I saw all the raves on the MGW, so I thought I'd try it. I'll never go back. Combined with the CobraBob gasket, it's much quieter and IMO, shifts better than the Tri-Ax. It looks better (too bad it's covered up). And it got smoother with time. Everything MGW does is first rate.

I went to Mobil 1 ATF and it shifted even better (although it was still notchy when cold).

I have just switched to Penzoil Synchromesh (I loved the GM Synchromesh in my 98), but it's too early to tell if it's any better.

CobraRyan

Banned
MGW...at first it was a bit notchy...but now i never have to worry about missing any gears...before with my stock shifter i would say about 1 out of every 10 6500 shifts to 3rd gear i would miss....now its not even an issue, it shifts like butter at all times

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
MGW...at first it was a bit notchy...but now i never have to worry about missing any gears...before with my stock shifter i would say about 1 out of every 10 6500 shifts to 3rd gear i would miss....now its not even an issue, it shifts like butter at all times

that's funny cause i still miss shift every now and then with my MGW. is that cause maybe the tranny is cold and needs to warm up??

Jockcobra

Powered by BOOST
Established Member
I've always used the Steeda Tri-Ax. Some people don't seem to like it for some reason but I love it. I've had it in 3 Mustangs now without any problems. Some complain that it's not as easy to shift with as the MGW but I could never tell the difference. But I don't think you would be disappointed with either one.

+1:beer:

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
I keep seeing these threads pop up....maybe its time to switch up my Tri-Ax and give the MGW a try!

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
I had both the tri-ax on the 3650, then i went to a t56 and put on a mgw. i now 99 out of 100 time never miss third gear. couldnt say that for tri-ax. Also, i could never get my tri-ax to quit leaking. It was not leaking on the flange where it bolts up to the tranny. it was leaking through the actual shift lever. either way, mgw is much more of a shifter then the tri-ax.

divided

Established Member
mgw seems to be the most popular amongst terminators, i have one myself and really like it but every now and then when i start the car, i have a hard time getting the shifter into 1st and 2nd. but this might just be because the tranny is cold.

^^ Funny you mention that, i have a mgw and its the same with me. When the car is cold, its really notchy, not smooth at all, once it warms up, all is good. wierd.

CobraRyan

Banned
Yea same thing for me to. Same thing applies for my clutch as well, When i start it up after 2-3 hours of using it the clutch is real stiff, but once i drive like 10 miles the pedal gets soft as fock

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
I had the Tri-Axe on my 94 Cobra loved it then I have the Mgw now Love it to, they are both good shifters but MGW ftw. I also noticed as it's getting colder It is a bit harder to go into 2nd until it warms up stock shifter did the same so it's not the shifter,are these transmissions known for this?

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
Let me start by saying that I've always put Steeda shifters on my 5-speed stangs (both T-5 and T-45) and loved them. I had a Tri-Ax on my T-56 and absolutely hated it. Was super notchy and hard to shift. In fact, the stock shifter with just the Tri-Ax handle felt better than the Tri-Ax. I ended up switching to the MGW and it is better in many ways. Not nearly as notchy, better handle position, and better springs.

Nordy

Looking for a Terminator!
Established Member
Thanks Guys! MGW Shifter it is I think.

Can you fit these on your own as I have little mechanical knowledge?

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I put a MGW on a couple weeks ago and its so much better then stock. It used to suck trying to shift at high rpm from 2nd to 3rd. Now its fun and fast :)

Users who are viewing this thread