Ford KILLS my transmission in front of me

Cobra*Commander

Established Member
The post quoted below is an update from the following post http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/701287-ford-states-new-stock-clutch-chatter-ok.html

I decided a new post may be needed as so much has changed that the previous post's subject no longer applied.

The short version of the story below is that Ford replaced the clutch assembly again, gave me the car to break in, I returned the car to them the same day, the mechanic attempts to test drive it and the transmission immediately breaks :fm:. Read on for the full details but PLEASE comment on the likely hood/possibility they are to cause for the tranny failure.

Now to the FULL version :pop:. I never left the Ford dealership with the car after they replaced the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, & TOB (as noted in the first post). They kept it and decided to completely replace the clutch assembly (disk & pressure plate) again with another brand new Ford OEM clutch assembly. They did nothing to the new flywheel.

This morning I went to pick the car up and guess what...it does the EXACT same thing (chattering). They didn't even have the courtesy to tell me it was still chattering before I missed work and drove an hour out of my way. So I complain to everyone that would listen and both the shop supervisor and service advisor said for me to just take the car and break in the clutch and see what happens. I agree to under the condition that they understood I was NOT accepting the car as is and that I would return it if the chattering didn't go away.

I take the car and decide to immediately drive the car to another Ford dealership for an opinion. This Ford dealership experiences the chatter and agrees something is not right. They comment that it could be related to the flywheel that was put in. I leave that Ford dealership and slowly my transmission begins to make a winding noise :eek:(about 40 miles on new clutch assembly). This noise is similar to grinding gears without any oil. The noise gets louder and louder to the point where I can't even hear my exhaust. I drove approximately 60 miles to work and drove another 60 miles back to the original Ford dealership to give them the car back. All the while the noise getting louder. As I pull into the dealership it becomes difficult to change gears. I pull into the service station, leave the car running, and get the mechanic to test drive the car. He gets into the car, puts it in gear and literally BREAKS the transmission. The car jolts forward, squeeling the tires and shutting off with a loud clank. He says, "your transmission is blown". I say "thanks" :mj:.

After much bickering Ford is stating there is absolutely nothing they did that could cause the transmission to go out like that :bs:. I say, I don't care because the likely hood that the tranny decides to go out the day you give my car back is the equivilant to winning the lottery. Tomorrow they are pulling the tranny and opening it up to see what happened.

I would GREATLY appreciate anyone's input. I'm nervous they are at fault and they are going to pin it on me. I'm unsure what they could have done to cause something like this to occur (if anything):??:???

black 10th vert

Established Member
Was there ANY time at all where the car could have been "test driven" while you were not there? If so, then you have your answer!:cuss:

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Sorry about your troubles, i dont know much bout dealership policies. I only go to dealerships to get keys made. Ive had transmission problems from broken input shafts to broken shift keys and it doesnt sound like either of those. Keep us updated, i would be watching them like hawk when working on it.

Cobra*Commander

Established Member
Yes, they test drove it after the first clutch assembly was replaced AND after they replaced it the second time. The mechanic stated nothing was wrong with the transmission.

Cobra*Commander

Established Member
Ford Admits They Killed the Tranny

Just got the call from Ford. To my surprise they manned up and admitted that they forgot to fill up the transmission with fluid! That is an incredible load off. Now they're are looking for a "similar" transmission with "similar" miles. Do you think I can request/demand they rebuild mine or put a another rebuilt T56 in it???

evn62719

USMC
Established Member
I would definatley think they should rebuild yours or give you a refurbished one. I wouldnt feel comfortable with the finding a "similar" transmission. You know they are trying to save as much money as possible and who knows where it will come from.

2003_svtcobra

Established Member
Just got the call from Ford. To my surprise they manned up and admitted that they forgot to fill up the transmission with fluid! That is an incredible load off. Now they're are looking for a "similar" transmission with "similar" miles. Do you think I can request/demand they rebuild mine or put a another rebuilt T56 in it???

I would have them put a brand new trans in it!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Similar transmission lol...you got to be kidding me...

Sorry about your troubles, I say rebuild or cut you a check

hotcobra03

Established Member
trans

i would force them to install a new trans,,,it covers both sides....i wouldnt want to go back again with a trans problem because it was a rebuilt,,,

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
wow. sorry for your tranny troubles, man. if the dealership won't cooperate with you, all it usually takes is mentioning a lawyer and going "the legal route" and they straighten up real quick. They are liable to provide you with a transmission of equal or better quality than the one that they destroyed. The only way to do this is to get you a reman'd or new t56. I wouldn't settle for anything less than that, a free install, loaner vehicle for the extent of the repairs, and whatever "emotional compensation" (verbal apology from the general and service managers, overnight parts from japan, blowjobs, etc.) you deem sufficient. gl with getting everything squared away, man.

SBTerminator

Established Member
WOW- Sorry to hear that happened! I would for sure ask for a remanufactored from them or a Brand New one to cover you and them as mentioned above. NO WAY would I accept a "similar" one.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Why was the oil removed from the trans, anyway?
Changing a clutch does not required draining the trans.

Probably should have them replace the flywheel since that seems to be the cause of the chatter.

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member

20psirabbit

Established Member
i'm with everyone else. what constitutes similar condition? will you get a used trans? even worse, one rebuilt by them? they blew up your trans replacing a clutch.
i would tell them i want a new trans, or better yet a check for the amount of a new trans and take your business elsewhere. another good idea might be to ask a service manager of another local dealer that's known for having good service. they know all the ins and outs and may be able to point you in the best direction. personally if i was you i wouldn't want these guys touching my car again after all this.

wildride02gt

Established Member
ummm, yeah. I've worked at a few dealerships, and they are trying to cut their losses. They are eating all of this repair time and parts cause some tech was an idiot. DEMAND that they either fully re-build your original, or get a NEW replacement. They are gonna go through a salvage yard route, get it as cheap a possible, and then refuse to warranty it. Now would be a good time to contact a lawyer, don't worry, in the end, you will not come out of pocket at all. Legal representation will demand a loaner, new parts, a warranty, and monetary compensation for time lost at work, and for legal fees.

Users who are viewing this thread