Did I blow my rear end?

nathanralph

Established Member
Tonight, I'm not entirely sure what happened. I don't know if I hit something in the road, or just broke the thing, but I think the read end is blown.

I was accelerating from 3rd to 4th (heavy load) just like I've done a thousand times before, but this time it slammed into gear and something broke. There's fluid all over the back bumper and fluid burning off the exhaust. It's a light brown fluid as far as I can tell.

I *think* maybe the rear end cover is broken, but I can't see it exactly. I need to get it on a lift.

It still goes into all the gears, but SLAMS into 1st, slams a little into 2nd and sometimes into 3rd...4th, 5th and 6th all see to work fine, but it grinds when I let off the gas sometimes. For now, it's parked until I can figure out what happened.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I hope you didn't drive the car and had it fladbedded to get worked on!? :dw:

If you did drive it with no rear end gear oil, you could have done additional damage to it.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

nathanralph

Established Member
I was dumb and had to get home. Drove it probably 2 miles. I looked at it and the differential cover is shattered. Looks like a pretty common problem.

Users who are viewing this thread