halfshaft/differential question...

greengt88

Established Member
Just had a new center section built w/ a detroit true-trac. How do the halfshafts attach to the diff.? Are c-clips still used? The place that did it installed the lpw girdle as well. Can I still atach halfshafts or does the cover need to come off now? I was under the impression that the knuckle/hub assembly held them in. Any thoughts from other true trac users? Also what up with the little piece indside the diff. That sits in the center? That little sucker cocked sideways and it was kind of a bastard to get back in alignment?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
That piece is held in place by the axles once they are installed so the cover should be left off until you do that.

The axles just snap in.

They have spring clips instead of C clips.
The primary retention point for the axles is the outer nut that holds them into the knuckle and wheel bearing.

greengt88

Established Member
Awesome jimmy thanks....I guess I should spring for new spring clips then. And damn I new they shoulda left the cover off, thought it was strange they wanted to put it on. What color rtv should be used? I was thinking the grey stuff. I think they used black. Ugh! Always something.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Awesome jimmy thanks....I guess I should spring for new spring clips then. And damn I new they shoulda left the cover off, thought it was strange they wanted to put it on. What color rtv should be used? I was thinking the grey stuff. I think they used black. Ugh! Always something.

I like the ultra grey but there are some posts lately on here, where they are using an adhesive/sealant that is not RTV.

I can not remember what it was called but there were several testimonials stating that it had completely ended the seepage issue that often shows up sometimes months later with the RTV.

If I was doing mine again I would be trying that stuff out. Sorry about not remembering the name.:(:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread