Clutch pedal - vibrating and making squeaky noise. Need your advice please.

Cobra Kai Dojo

Finish him!
Established Member
2003 with 17k miles. bone stock. it's driving me nuts.

something happened because it wasn't doing it before. i know our cars are not the most refined cars but i know this is an issue that just started happening and is definitely not normal. keep in mind that my issues have to do with the clutch pedal - not the clutch itself (i think anyway) the clutch pedal pressure is still firm as before and the gear engagements are normal. the car drives fine, just highly annoying to do so.

- while slowing down or stopped, the clutch pedal vibrates and makes juddering noise. i can see and feel it shaking. if i put my foot against it, it stops. it feels like pedal is loose from the "clutch leg" but obviously that's not the case. again, noise is from the pedal itself - not the clutch.

- gently pushing in the clutch pedal (i am talking like 1/8'', not anywhere near engagement point) makes squeaky noise. almost sounds like faint "pulley noise".

i moved the seat all the way back and looked around in the footwell area. i didnt not see anything out of the ordinary. i pressed the clutch pedal with my hand to see if there was an obvious "play" and did not feel anything abnormal. but as i stated above, when you do it with your foot it displays all the symptoms.

any ideas? thanks!:dancenana:

joeys01drptp

Established Member
I had this problem too. For the pedal shaking I adjusted the clutch. The only difference is I had a firewall adjuster. The squeaking is probably the throw out bearing getting wore. I had to replace mine at about the same mileage you are at now, so I went ahead and put a clutch in at the same time.

perry2k12

Established Member
Your throw out bearing and/or throw out bearing sleeve is/are probably shot. Begin researching and reading as much as you can stand about throw out bearings in these cars.

Cobra Kai Dojo

Finish him!
Established Member
I had to replace mine at about the same mileage you are at now, so I went ahead and put a clutch in at the same time.

wow at 17k?!?!? how did the oem clutch look when you took it out?

Sounds like a bad tob.

Your throw out bearing and/or throw out bearing sleeve is/are probably shot.

i just spent a good hour reading about it after searching. just surprised at how early throw out bearing and sleeve needs replacing.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Reach down and pull up on the pedal clutch hard(real hard), then sit back in the seat and depress the pedal all the way down.

This adjusts a stock clutch adjuster if it needs it.

It still may need a throw out bearing but the pedal might not be as loose.

Please post back what the outcome of this issue ends up being and what fixed it.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
^^ I was just going to mention this too... If you decide to do the TOB yourself, click on my "how to" thread in my sig. Good luck and post back your results!

Cobra Kai Dojo

Finish him!
Established Member
Reach down and pull up on the pedal clutch hard(real hard), then sit back in the seat and depress the pedal all the way down.

This adjusts a stock clutch adjuster if it needs it.

Jimmy - unfortunately, this did not change anything. it feels exactly the same as before with same symptoms. thanks for the suggestion though!

Cobra Kai Dojo

Finish him!
Established Member
i just did the clutch cable adjustment, following the helpful thread of

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/389553-how-adjust-clutch-cable.html

no more pedal shaking! i did 2 clicks and it feels like how it was before. unfortunately, the squealing of the TOB is still there. before, it was squealing when the pedal was slightly depressed (as originally posted above) but now, it is squealing when the clutch pedal is completely untouched. it goes away when i push it about 1/8''.

ugh, either way i need the ford racing tob and the lethal sleeve.

Users who are viewing this thread