Promotion clutch HELP!!!!!

r103

Established Member
If you have a promotion clutch please tell me... does the color indicate the horse power level (blue= blue print hi-clamp) gray= cobra performance?

r103

Established Member
I ordered the 650hp. I got a BLUE pressure plate, shim, and disc. I installed everything drove around like a granny for 500 miles... then when I finaly got on it. The damn thing was slipping. I'm thinking I got the wrong PP-clutch disc combo. My understanding is the "blue printed Hi-clamp PP" doesn't use a shim. On there website the 650 hp is grey and has a shim the 750hp is blue without a shim.

MyStIcHrOmE 04

NEED MORE HP!!!
Established Member
I got the BLUE pressure plate too... I haven't had any issues, and I am launching at 5500 on slicks without even the slightest slip. Just wondering, but what kind of flywheel are you running? New or resurfaced? See where I am going with this? The guys at Promotion are awesome... I would give them a call and they will get you straightened out for sure.

My96z

Established Member
Well my 650 kit will be here tomorrow. I will let you know what comes in the box. But give Wally a call he should be able to help you out.

Jeff

TRBO VNM

All the 650hp kits I have installed have had grey pp and the shim. Give Wally a call tomorrow. If you don't get him, try the sales extension.

r103

Established Member
I'm def going to call em. I'm not saing its a bad clutch I just think I have the wrong PP. I have got a blue one and not knowing there was a difference, I installed it with the shim. I pulled it back out and sat it next to the factory one, they are NOT the same. I was just wondering what did you guys order and what color was it? Also did you shim it?

r103

Established Member
I got the BLUE pressure plate too... I haven't had any issues, and I am launching at 5500 on slicks without even the slightest slip. Just wondering, but what kind of flywheel are you running? New or resurfaced? See where I am going with this? The guys at Promotion are awesome... I would give them a call and they will get you straightened out for sure.

Did yours come with a shim? Did you use it? I sent my flywheel to Mcload they put a new ring in it.

Last edited:

r103

Established Member
That's the thing. From what I understand the 650hp is a 03/04 PP with a different disc. The plate I have is not like my old stock clutch. The pressure ring is wider and thinner.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well my promotion kustom is rated to 550hp and I have a gray pp with the spacer.

TRBO VNM

Well my promotion kustom is rated to 550hp and I have a gray pp with the spacer.

from what I have seen, I can't even find an 11" clutch rated at 550. the stock clutch is rated at 520 they said. So maybe they put something together for you that isn't on their site? I can't imagine you went with a 10.5"

Last edited:

My96z

Established Member
Got my Promotion 650HP clutch kit today. Here are the main parts:
CIMG1005.jpg

Flywheel side of disc:
discfwside.jpg

Hope this helps. Also the tag says if the stock clutch disc is used, no shim is needed.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
from what I have seen, I can't even find an 11" clutch rated at 550. the stock clutch is rated at 520 they said. So maybe they put something together for you that isn't on their site? I can't imagine you went with a 10.5"

It's a 26 spline 11" kustom clutch. Your right I don't think mine is on there site.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
That's the thing. From what I understand the 650hp is a 03/04 PP with a different disc. The plate I have is not like my old stock clutch. The pressure ring is wider and thinner.

so have you talked to them yet, to see if they sent you the wrong piece, and so you could explain to them what was/is going on?

r103

Established Member
Ok here is what Promotion and I have come up with. The Plate I got is right although they are normally gray. The problem, I cleaned the surface of the pressure plate but didn't get all the grease off the sides of the ring. The grease worked its way on to PP. there for the disc could never seat properly. It warped the PP. Wally said he would sell me another at discounted price Monday. So MAKE SURE YOU COMPLETELY CLEAN ALL OF PRESSURE PLATE DURING INSTALL!!!

r103

Established Member
My disc is also different than that on the PP side. They may be because yours is 10 spline and mine is 26spline. Just sayin

My96z

Established Member
Here you go. My PP has a thin coating of somthing on the face of the plate that I am sure is just to protect it during storage and shipping and is to be cleaned off right before install.

Pressureplate1.jpg

But on the inside, on the edge, there is some grease that looks like it is supposed to be there for lubrication? Does this have to come off too? Pic:
PressurePlate2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread