Bazzare Flywheel Issue, HALP!

Becka03svt

Established Member
*STOCK RESURFACED ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL*

So about 5k miles ago, I put in a new spec stage 2+ clutch.
everything went beautifully (except taking out the stock TOB.. OMFG.)
about 2k miles after install, I began hearing a chattery noise, and assumed it was clutch/flywheel chatter. It never got worse or anything. So i ignored it.

Well, after a long track day, I had let the car sit and upon starting up, the starter WOULD NOT DISENGAGE. It was as if I never took my hand off the ignition and it just kept turning and turning. Even when i turned the cobra off, the starter kept turning the flywheel after the car was off!!

Today, I took the trans out and come to find the ring gear on the flywheel came LOOSE!! The rivets holding it in place somehow came loose and the teeth on the outside of the flywheel were literally jiggling around. That completely explained the chatter noise. And im ASSUMING that's what caused the starter to malfunction as it did.

I called ford and they said the OE flywheel is discontinued and $1,600 to get my hands on one. **** THAT! So my question is, what is the best flywheel to pair with my Spec stage 2+ clutch kit??

Thanks guys

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
that seems to be a common problem with the stock one,! have the spec aluminum flywheel with A spec 3+. Don't if its the best but it works very well & price was good!

TRBO VNM

*STOCK RESURFACED ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL*

So about 5k miles ago, I put in a new spec stage 2+ clutch.
everything went beautifully (except taking out the stock TOB.. OMFG.)
about 2k miles after install, I began hearing a chattery noise, and assumed it was clutch/flywheel chatter. It never got worse or anything. So i ignored it.

Well, after a long track day, I had let the car sit and upon starting up, the starter WOULD NOT DISENGAGE. It was as if I never took my hand off the ignition and it just kept turning and turning. Even when i turned the cobra off, the starter kept turning the flywheel after the car was off!!

Today, I took the trans out and come to find the ring gear on the flywheel came LOOSE!! The rivets holding it in place somehow came loose and the teeth on the outside of the flywheel were literally jiggling around. That completely explained the chatter noise. And im ASSUMING that's what caused the starter to malfunction as it did.

I called ford and they said the OE flywheel is discontinued and $1,600 to get my hands on one. **** THAT! So my question is, what is the best flywheel to pair with my Spec stage 2+ clutch kit??

Thanks guys

Not meaning you, but this is exactly the problem I preach to people and they still don't listen. The latest is cobra=trouble. It is probably just a matter of time for him and then it is redoing all this again because people want to try and save some money and they hear a couple success stories and go with it.

The only proper way to reuse the stock flywheel is replacing the friction surface.

OP, I would go with a fidanza. The friction surface you can replace yourself later if you do the clutch again and it is only about $75. (cheaper than the spec friction surface)

Last edited:

10sec89

Established Member
Resurfacing isn't what makes the rivets loose, it just seems to happen over time. The only right way to do the stock flywheel is to send it back to McLeod to replace the friction ring and recondition and inspect the rest of it. Just had mine done a couple months ago when installing a new clutch, and came back looking like new. The $125 was well spent and cheap insurance to me.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
OP sounds like my exact problem I had last fall and I got it fixed this spring. Here is a video of what mine sounded like, ended up being a loose inner flywheel ring. This was on a completely stock clutch setup at about 23k miles.

03 cobra tranny noise? - YouTube

Scotty B

Established Member
I like the Spec steel flywheel with the cnc scallops in it. Weighed one last week. it came in at 15#. Same weight as my fidanza aluminum and Anderson aluminum, without the friction plate to worry about. I believe the ring gear is machined into the flywheel, all one piece. Same weight, no worries

Scotty B

Established Member
also, between the aluminum flywheels, I like the Anderson the best. It has steel inserts for the threads. The fidanza is threaded directly into the aluminum. Not a huge deal for a street car. I was removeing the clutch quite often and it helps with worn/stripped threads.

CobraFed

Established Member
I just took my tranny out yesterday due to the TOB issues. As long as it is all apart I'm going to replace the clutch with a Spec, how about the flywheel? Should I plan on replacing it, or just leave it be. I am not a heavy racer, just have the car for joy riding and an occasional stop light race.....

Scotty B

Established Member
I think I am incorrect on the steel flywheel. It wasnt a Spec. It was off a friends car that had a Spec clutch. I just assumed it was to. I believe it may be a ACT. Either way, I like it for the simplicity. All one piece.

Users who are viewing this thread