New Supercharger for 04 Cobra, which one

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
Hey Guys Im new to the forum and owning a Cobra, but ive blead blue for the last 6 years. Ive read through your guy's forums and You guys are awesome!!! I have a brand new 2004 Cobra Mustang silver with 1200 miles on it. I love it more than anything. I have made only a few mods including a K&N intake and filter and new plugs and wires. I have heard a lot about replacing the blower. I heard Kenne bell is the best choice for performance and price. My questions are what work will I need to do to put on a new KB blower? How many Horse will I put out? Also let me state that this is a normal driving car and it needs to be reliable and last me quite a few miles, is this possible? Also I was curious about putting on better new tires. What kind, how much, and under normal driving conditions how long will they last? Thank you guys so much and let me state that it is an honor to own a cobra and post with you guys. Thanks so much!!!!

fr03cobra

Established Member
The whipple seems to be the better choice over the KB these days.

Last edited:

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
I would buy whatever looks the best to you. You will see that there are lots of threads and opinions. I say they are the same. It all depends on what tune you get. I would stay under 14 lbs unless you are ready to spend some money on injectors, Mass air, etc.. Have fun!

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
hey thanks for the advice badbiach, do you have any idea how much it will cost to find a new blower that will have 14 psi like you suggested, and how many horse will that make over my stock cobra? Thanks again

Whipple and KB make around the same power but some people say the Whipple is slightly quicker....But people want the KB because of the WHINE as well whereas the Whipple is soft.

marcseidler

I just installed a KB on my 04. All i can say is that before you buy a blower consider this.
The facts are that a ported stock blower with the std set of mods (cat back, 2.8" upper, CAI, Decent Tune) will beat a KB or Whipple with 15lbs or less and possible run with a 17lbs boost KB or Whipple. I mean at actual 1/4mi drag racing, not a 60mph roll on the street. the Kb and Whipple do pull stronger above 5k so from a roll with the motor wound up they scream. If what you want is a street racer or dyno queen then the KB or Whipple are great. If you want to drag race it want want to go faster plan on running at least 17lbs boost. The ported Eaton makes superior torque and Hp below 5000 which adds up to better ET. I ran consistant 11.6's and an ocasstional 11.4 or 11.5 with my ported Eaton. With the KB at 15lbs I was hard pressed to get into the 11's. It just did not pull hard below 5000 compared to the Eaton. i will up the boost this wekend and try again. I was dissapointed to say the least. My car is tuned well. 11.9AF, 22 degrees advance. Fortunately I spent the cash adding 60lbs injectors and BAP so I can support more boost. I do not want to run race gas. I was never told that at 15lbs boost I would go slower. If I had known that I might have considered sending my Eaton back to Stieg to get the type III porting and left it alone or at least ordered it with the 3" 17lbs boost pulley. Low elevens would have been fine with me and surely about $5k cheaper.
I will go back to the track this wekend with either 17 or 19 lbs boost with the appropriate tune to try again.

marcseidler

If you get a KB or Whipple and run less than 17bs boost you are wasting your money in my opinion. You money would be better spend on SFC,s Axles, Diff Busings, Girdles, Drag Radials, CAI, Cat Back and decent tune. This boost level will require Injectors, BAP, etc to work safely and reliably. Of course in my opinion you need this other stuff well before worrying about making more HP.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
"New plugs and WIRES "..... wires????? :shrug:

If you want reliable... find the search button and look up ---> Evans cooling mods

If you are going to make 200 more horsepower than the factory made.... I would plan on getting that extra heat out... or hurt pistons will be yours!!!

1 thousandth of an inch piston to wall clearance....

1 thousandth of an inch piston to wall clearance....

Seriously...... we are seeing lots of hurt engines because of heat and tight clearances.

Please don't be one of them.

Jimmy :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread