Belt to tight? Tensioner pic inside...

DitchTehFish

Established Member
The Gates green stripe 76" was a tad to long for my billetflow 2.93 w/4/pc idlers, so I switched to next shortest Napa/Gates 75.625" belt. Take a look at my tensioner, is it to tight? FWIW, I have only driven about 15 miles with the new belt.

picture_040.jpg

Hye

Established Member
how are you suppose to tell if its too tight or not? (noob ? i guess) thanks

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Hye06 said:
how are you suppose to tell if its too tight or not? (noob ? i guess) thanks

See the mark on the fixed mount bracket, a line and the pointer on the tensioner arm? It doesn't appear to be bottomed out quite yet, course many break off the stop anyway. Can make a tight belt easier to get on. Marks supposed to be lined up, much debate about that. Nice pic btw.

Last edited:

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Mines at least that tight. I stretched on a 74" belt because I thought I was having belt slip. Been like that for like 6k miles already, no problems.

Chunky04

Lil Bad Boy
Established Member
Damn :shrug: i just ordered a gates 75.5" belt.. cuz im still useing my stock belt and it looks to me like it might be a little too tight for my set up(in sig)... but if your 75.5" looks too tight too?!?!? so what the hell am i gonna do.. are you sure the 76" was too long?

Hye

Established Member
DitchTehFish:
I snapped a pic of mine this morning, this is what mine looks like, stock belt with a 3.2 RR upper, stock everything else.

jackspictures018.jpg

Hye

Established Member
damn,im staring back and forth between yours and mine, and i cant tell a difference! am i missing anything? :shrug:

jk03cobra

Established Member
Chunky04 said:
Damn :shrug: i just ordered a gates 75.5" belt.. cuz im still useing my stock belt and it looks to me like it might be a little too tight for my set up(in sig)... but if your 75.5" looks too tight too?!?!? so what the hell am i gonna do.. are you sure the 76" was too long?

Just had my pullies installed today, same setup as yours. The shop went with the K080751 belt. NAPA's website shows it to be 75.625 length. Seems about right with the 4 idlers and new style bracket.

mosconiac

Established Member
Hye06 said:
damn,im staring back and forth between yours and mine, and i cant tell a difference! am i missing anything? :shrug:

You're not missing anything but he is...he trimmed off one of the tabs. He probably did it for the same reason I did, to get the belt on.

03DOHC

Established Member
Mine is like the arrows in this pic and I have no slip. It's your car though, so do what you want.

picture040copy3ba.jpg

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
jk03cobra said:
Just had my pullies installed today, same setup as yours. The shop went with the K080751 belt. NAPA's website shows it to be 75.625 length. Seems about right with the 4 idlers and new style bracket.
That is the correct size you need. Gates part#: K080751 :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread